Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 04:31   #316

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I'm not passing judgment - I tried to make that clear. My only point is that whatever the weight of the package is, 3 to 4 weeks will not convert human feces to something that isn't essentially human feces. And I am sure you aren't suggesting that if you were to test what you say looks like potting soil that you would find it to be absent e coli and other intestinal flora. This study quantifies that, and you will note from the abstract that samples from this study were measured at 6 months of "composting", not a few weeks. But you are totally honest in not suggesting that this approach is better for the environment, but I am sure you can understand why others might have that higher on their list of priorities and wonder whether other approaches aren't more suitable.
No … I’m not suggesting this. And the simple point I’m trying to stress is, NO ONE ELSE IS. Not the manufactures and sellers of these things, and no user that I’m aware of. So I really don’t know who your critique is levelled at.

The only people making these suggestions are people who criticize the idea of these heads. So… I hope you can appreciate my frustration.
Old 18-09-2018, 06:05   #317
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, the presence of e.coli, the faeces of birds and rats are omnipresent in the human built environment.

Might as well be shocked by the presence of human skin detritus in homes.

We (strive to) keep such things out of our food supply, not our waste disposal stream.

Yes infectious and biohazardous waste disposal methods are regulated, mostly at the state level.

But routine faecal matter is not included in that definition.

When city employees are very routinely cleaning up blood and needles used by street addicts, I think such concern about poo is a bit over the top.

But many people were too harshly potty trained as toddlers.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:29   #318

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No … I’m not suggesting this. And the simple point I’m trying to stress is, NO ONE ELSE IS. Not the manufactures and sellers of these things, and no user that I’m aware of. So I really don’t know who your critique is levelled at.

The only people making these suggestions are people who criticize the idea of these heads. So… I hope you can appreciate my frustration.
If you Google "are composting toilets green" you'll see that at least some folks are suggesting they are an environmentally friendly solution to human waste management, and IMO they can be, depending on what you are comparing them to. Compared to the knucklehead who flushes his toilet overboard in shallow water or in a marina? Definitely better than that. But I'm not sure that jerk isn't likely to use a composting toilet. Compared to random dispersal in deep water? Not so much.

I guess the reason I brought this line of inquiry up is frustration over the fact that when flushing the john overboard in deep water in Puget Sound is forbidden, but using a dumpster for the output of a composting toilet is fine, something is amiss, except in those circumstances, like NewHaul's, where the CT is not only the best option, it is the only reasonable option.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:18   #319
cruiser

Yes, political "solutions" are often not rational.

Cities are the worst offenders, really need to clean up their act before pestering individuals.

No-discharge rules can be sheer window-dressing only.

But separating toilets are not really for being green, just another very practical option for dealing with poop.

And nothing wrong with tossing their output (which is not "compost") into the trash.

Note that so-called biodegradable bags only do so when full-time exposed to sunshine. In a landfill they'll still be there centuries later just like regular plastic.

I'm as fanatic a tree-hugger as they come, but useless "for appearances only" measures annoy me, focussing on macro measures that will actually help prevent global disaster are more productive.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:25   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If you Google "are composting toilets green" you'll see that at least some folks are suggesting they are an environmentally friendly solution to human waste management, and IMO they can be, depending on what you are comparing them to. Compared to the knucklehead who flushes his toilet overboard in shallow water or in a marina? Definitely better than that. But I'm not sure that jerk isn't likely to use a composting toilet. Compared to random dispersal in deep water? Not so much.

I guess the reason I brought this line of inquiry up is frustration over the fact that when flushing the john overboard in deep water in Puget Sound is forbidden, but using a dumpster for the output of a composting toilet is fine, something is amiss, except in those circumstances, like NewHaul's, where the CT is not only the best option, it is the only reasonable option.
OK, I don’t want to belabour the point, but you can find everything and anything via Google. As far as I can recall, I’ve never seen any user of these heads make the claim you are chafing against. The manufacture’s don’t either.

I agree with you; these heads can be more environmentally friendly, but it depends on how the end product is managed. Dumping into the landfill is not a great solution, but I’m certain it makes no measurable difference compared to all the raw feces contributed by diaper users and dog poop.

And I further agree with you that it makes zero sense to restrict overboard dumping in areas of good volume/good flow. In fact, I think dumping offshore is probably the most environmentally friendly way of dealing with our effluent.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:45   #321
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Note that so-called biodegradable bags only do so when full-time exposed to sunshine. In a landfill they'll still be there centuries later just like regular plastic.
actually not quite true the bags I use dissolve in water ( used them in the navy to wash contaminated clothing from our sewage treatment plants)
Old 18-09-2018, 09:51   #322
cruiser

Quote:
OK, I don’t want to belabour the point, but you can find everything and anything via Google. As far as I can recall, I’ve never seen any user of these heads make the claim you are chafing against. The manufacture’s don’t either.

I agree with you; these heads can be more environmentally friendly, but it depends on how the end product is managed. Dumping into the landfill is not a great solution, but I’m certain it makes no measurable difference compared to all the raw feces contributed by diaper users and dog poop.

And I further agree with you that it makes zero sense to restrict overboard dumping in areas of good volume/good flow. In fact, I think dumping offshore is probably the most environmentally friendly way of dealing with our effluent.
Mike,

If you switched back to a standard marine head with a holding tank... just think of all the time you’d save by not having to handle waste and argue the merits of composting heads... I mean desicating heads, here on CF.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:59   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

If you switched back to a standard marine head with a holding tank... just think of all the time you’d save by not having to handle waste and argue the merits of composting heads... I mean desicating heads, here on CF.
you would instead spend all that time looking for a functioning pump out instead of sailing .
Old 18-09-2018, 10:01   #324

Quote:
Mike,

True, at least on the second count. But then I’d have no more excuse to avoid doing my brightwork or fixing my teak decks .
Old 18-09-2018, 10:11   #325
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you would instead spend all that time looking for a functioning pump out instead of sailing .
There aren’t any up in Canada where Mike is at present, he’d just need to let the harbor mullets do their job.
Old 18-09-2018, 11:30   #326

Quote:
There aren’t any up in Canada where Mike is at present, he’d just need to let the harbor mullets do their job.
Tis true. Most people around here just ‘let-er-loose’, even while sitting in our little marina. Doesn’t much matter given that the town has its treatment plant outflow pipe not far away.

Given all this, my compost head does make my boat one of the greenest in the area.
Old 18-09-2018, 12:13   #327
cruiser

Quote:
Tis true. Most people around here just ‘let-er-loose’, even while sitting in our little marina. Doesn’t much matter given that the town has its treatment plant outflow pipe not far away.

Given all this, my compost head does make my boat one of the greenest in the area.
Mike,

Your poop is no greener than than anyone else’s, but of course that depends on what you’ve been eating...
Old 18-09-2018, 12:22   #328
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually not quite true the bags I use dissolve in water ( used them in the navy to wash contaminated clothing from our sewage treatment plants)
Cool, link?
Old 18-09-2018, 12:30   #329
cruiser

Resource http://www.livesmallridefree.com/blo...posting-toilet
Old 18-09-2018, 12:53   #330
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Cool, link?
https://www.amazon.com/Sani-Melt-Wat.../dp/B0019VUQ6M
Many others via Google just do water soluble laundry bags.
Otherwise you will get urn sized ones for burying human ashes.

Tags
oil, regulations, rule