Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 10:55   #151
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Not to mention that usable local material is often available just about anywhere. Just might not be as processed or packaged. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:36   #152

I just finished ripping out all of my hoses, valves and macerator pump. That is a job I will never do again. I bleached the bilge and scrubbed it but there is still a bit of a lingering smell down there. Is there something else I need to do to get rid of that smell? Or does it just take time for the smell to dissipate.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:44   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I just finished ripping out all of my hoses, valves and macerator pump. That is a job I will never do again. I bleached the bilge and scrubbed it but there is still a bit of a lingering smell down there. Is there something else I need to do to get rid of that smell? Or does it just take time for the smell to dissipate.
use a cleaner with citric acid in it . Rub it down with some fast orange hand cleaner .
That will get rid of the poo smell and leave a pleasing orange smell.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03   #154

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
The height of the Natures Head is worth mentioning. They have the dimensions on their website and it's worth taking a tape measure into the head to see how it will fit. Also, most conventional heads on boats sit on a raised platform, which makes the Natures Head even taller when installed. I've seen a few work-arounds like a foot step to rest your feet while on the "throne." I will eventually cut out the raised platform on my boat and glass in a lower platform, but the height hasn't been a problem so far (or enough of a problem to push this up to the top of the list).
We recently installed a NH and absolutely had to cut out the raised platform. This is up to you but it is very tall. Was a bigger deal putting a new floor in the head than the 8 minute installation of the NH. Very glad we did for all the positive reasons mentioned here.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 16:09   #155

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	170940
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1527894528.174347.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	170941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1527894572.677829.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	170942
Old 01-06-2018, 16:11   #156

Had to make a little step because the NH is pretty tall.

How much coco coir do I put in? Does this seem about right?
Old 01-06-2018, 16:12   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
use a cleaner with citric acid in it . Rub it down with some fast orange hand cleaner .

That will get rid of the poo smell and leave a pleasing orange smell.

Ok, good idea. I have some of that on the boat.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2018, 18:37   #158

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Had to make a little step because the NH is pretty tall.

How much coco coir do I put in? Does this seem about right?
Looks about right. I usually charge the new cycle with about that much (up to about level with the churner). Then around 1/2 way through I may start adding a small handful every few uses. This is my way of keeping the moisture balance right.

There’s a bit of art and science to it all. But after a few cycles it becomes pretty obvious when to add.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:42   #159

I don’t have a good feel yet for how moist or dry the coir should have been after I hydrated it. It turned out like very fluffy, semi-moist dirt. Hope it wasn’t too moist. Seemed to turn easily in the toilet when I rotated the spider valve three times this AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:53   #160

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
I don’t have a good feel yet for how moist or dry the coir should have been after I hydrated it. It turned out like very fluffy, semi-moist dirt. Hope it wasn’t too moist. Seemed to turn easily in the toilet when I rotated the spider valve three times this AM.
That's probably the best indication of the right level of moisture- if you can turn the crank without undue effort, you've got it right. When it's hard to crank, it's usually too moist or ready to dump.

I've been using loose coconut coir that comes in bags (ready to use and no hydration needed). It's very dry and fine (almost a powder). I've found it better than the bricks, which often have long strands that make cranking more difficult. When I used bricks, I'd hydrate, crumble and even cut up the longer strands. Then I'd leave it out in the sun to dry before using it. It's going to get moist with use anyway, so you might as well start with a very dry medium.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:59   #161

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It should definitely feel easy to churn at that beginning. One sure sign that it is time to dump is when the handle becomes very hard to turn.

When first charging my head I add just enough water to the coir brick so I can mechanically break it up. I will use a knife to pry the big pieces apart, and then break it up by hand. Moisture will naturally be added with each use, and dry coir will expand with each addition. So I start pretty dry. This seems to produce the longest cycle period.

Occasionally I’ve added too much water to the brick. When that happens I break it up, then set it out in the open air to dry out before using it.

It will likely take a few cycles before you start to get a sense for what is right. Ambient humidity levels, the efficiency of your vent, and even the general character of your, umm … deposits , will all be somewhat unique to each setup. That’s why I say there’s both a science and an art to all this.
Old 02-06-2018, 14:50   #162

Thanks for all the help everyone! Much appreciated!
Old 02-06-2018, 15:06   #163

Boat: Still looking

I have a NH on my Catalina 34. Very, very tight fit. I had to make a small platform to support the front of the head.

Will be installing the vent system where the old tank pump out hole is.
Carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:38   #164

Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

After about two weeks of heavy use (the wife and kids were on the boat) the crank has become very hard to turn. I read that putting in coffee grounds mike help, but it hasn’t. There is a lot of toilet paper in there I see! Could that be what’s clogging up the works?

I’m wondering if I need to dump it and start afresh.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21   #165

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
After about two weeks of heavy use (the wife and kids were on the boat) the crank has become very hard to turn. I read that putting in coffee grounds mike help, but it hasn’t. There is a lot of toilet paper in there I see! Could that be what’s clogging up the works?

I’m wondering if I need to dump it and start afresh.
How many kids?
Is your composter vented?

You can try adding a bit more (very dry) coir to the bin to help dry it out. I would imagine the toilet paper doesn't help the cranking as well...
On my boat I have a small waste bin with a lid, lined with a plastic bag, where I put the toilet paper. There is no smell and it prevents the composting bin from filling up quickly.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, regulations, rule