Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:33   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Cockpit Enclosure

I am not a liveaboard but I figure that this forum is where the experience is. I am planning to make an attachment to my bimini that would enclose my cockpit for bad weather. I am thinking that I will not have it up much at all, maybe 5-10% of the time. The rest of the time it would be stored below.
Questions: which is better
high percentage of plastic glass for light and visibility or lower percentage
fixed windows or zip out windows
cloth coverings to block sun and be a little warmer for windows or none
Not a very important topic but I would be interested in a few replies from experienced sailors.
Toss in any other ideas or suggestions if you are inclined. This is a DIY job for the winter.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Are you planning on sailing with the enclosure or only use it while docked/anchored/moored?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
RDW,

Go with the high percentage of plastic glass windows for light and visibility.
Just unzip and stow below. You want to feel like you are outside, but protected from wind and rain when your dinning or having drinks with freinds.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Destiny3.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	22575  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27   #4

Solarium

The plastic windows heat the cockpit up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solarium.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	22577  
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29   #5
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
I will be using it for both sailing and moored in bad weather, more for sailing to keep more dry and warm.
I have a canvas that will hang down from my back edge of the hard dodger, a piece of canvas that will connect the hard dodger to the bimini and then canvas to enclose the sides and the back oof the cockpit.
I will use all or parts depending on the conditions.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 17:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
if you want to keep the enclosure on during sailing, you'll want to consider visibility including while heeled over. More clear is usually better
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:43   #7

Boat: CT54
Re: Cockpit Enclosure

Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of window material to use for a enclosed cockpit? I am considering Crystal Clear 40, Strataglass 40 and O'Sea Clear. I am currently leaning towards the O'Sea brand because it seems to have the scratch resistance of Strataglass but it appears to be soft enough to role. I am curious if anyone has ever used the O'Sea and if so what there experience with it has been. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:01   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

When we got our doger and bimini re-done, we had the canvas guy install zippers for an enclosure. When I asked for a quote, it was $2400 for one with windows, and $1200 for one with screen. We have a fairly small cockpit. I plan on getting some other quotes, but this seems high. Is it?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:14   #9

We had also gotten a quote for just the bimini top (no windows) from a local canvas person. He would have to supply and bend the stainless for the bimini and the quote came in at $1,100 (that is without windows). He did not want to quote the windows as he said it could get very expensive so I would expect that would probably double the price. We have decided to hire out the bending of the stainless and sew up the encloser ourselves which should end up costing about $1,200 when complete but we will have windows. FYI the windows are by far the most expensive thing we will be purchasing at approx. $200 per panel and we will require 3 panels so half of our cost for the entire job will be in the windows.
Old 17-09-2011, 16:28   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of window material to use for a enclosed cockpit? I am considering Crystal Clear 40, Strataglass 40 and O'Sea Clear. I am currently leaning towards the O'Sea brand because it seems to have the scratch resistance of Strataglass but it appears to be soft enough to role. I am curious if anyone has ever used the O'Sea and if so what there experience with it has been. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jackie

I've been using Crystal Clear 40 and Stradaglass 40 on everything I build up intill a couple weeks ago.. and we go through anywhere between 75 and 100 sheets a year and I uasally stock a couple drums of Stradaglass 40 just incase a fast job comes in that the glass needs replacement.....

BUT, I ordered a couple drums a coupe weeks ago and the glass turned overnight and was foggy or milky the next morning.. called "Tri Vantage" my supplier and they sent out a couple more drums.. pulled a sheet and the stradaglass looked fuzzy with a look of oil in it...
Called Tri Vantage and they rushed out a couple drums of O'Sea..
first time I've used it and would put it above stradaglass for workability..
the clarity is better, and is a little softer as you say.. has a differemnt feel to it..
I've called Stradaglass a number of times and they havent returned my calls.. seems they would want to teke care of me due to the amount of usage I have but they havent..
I've got 20 sheet of 40 mil stradaglass that I've been reinbursed for and the distributer says throw it away.........
O'Sea has my business from now on..... them and Tri Vantage.....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:49   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
We had also gotten a quote for just the bimini top (no windows) from a local canvas person. He would have to supply and bend the stainless for the bimini and the quote came in at $1,100 (that is without windows). He did not want to quote the windows as he said it could get very expensive so I would expect that would probably double the price. We have decided to hire out the bending of the stainless and sew up the encloser ourselves which should end up costing about $1,200 when complete but we will have windows. FYI the windows are by far the most expensive thing we will be purchasing at approx. $200 per panel and we will require 3 panels so half of our cost for the entire job will be in the windows.

normally when I quote a bimini. I figure it at 15 dollars a square foot and if stainless 1 inch, we add about 25 %.. windowed pannels run around 250 per pannel, so an inclosure complete on the rear of a boat, 10 X 10 or 100 square feet for bimini alone is 1500.00 normally a sailboat would come in at 6 X 8 or 720.00 dollars and with 1 inch stainless it would be 900.00.
windows are another issue.. a normal pannel about 4 X4 would be around 250.00
you're going to find that the cost will be far over the 1200 for your inclosure.... the zippers alone will be about 2 to 3 hundred.. you'll use about 20 or more at 7 to 8 each depending supplier and length.. your binding is another 50 to 60..and you havent even got into the snaps..
along with the stainless tubing at about 100 per length and it will be hard pressed to get two bows out of one length.. you'll need 3.... and the fittings arnt cheep if they are stainless....at the best, 4 to 6 dollars each. and you might have 12 to 16....... it all count up.. and then your material..

I just priced a fullinclosure for the back of a 33 foot carver thismorning.. the material cost was over 1800.00
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 17:00   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I just had a full enclosure, bimini, dodger and connector installed. I had the side window panels with u zip screens in addition to the glass plus a walk through door with U zip screen as well. It was not cheap but it is like another room in inclement weather. Well worth the investment since I am a liveaboard in cooler climate at the present.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 17:46   #13

Boat: Gulfstar, Motorsailor, 53 ft - Morning Star

Have had an enclosure for years with windows all around for sailing that could be rolled up during pleasant weather. For the tropics windows could be unzippped and replaced with screening to keep eveything comfortable. Cost was high enough that I had a boom awning made for periods on the hook or at the dock to help preserve the bimini and windows, extended to the rails. In 1991 dollars top, windows and screens with 1 inch stainless amounted to 5800 dollars, but has lasted 20 years so more than worth the cost for the comfort provided
Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:28   #14

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

I thought long and hard about this, and then I fitted a screen (1 sheet) and roof (2 sheets) and sides (1 each side) in 3- 6mm 30% tinted grey perspex. I then built a hardwood frame inside it to support. Bliss! excellent wind protection and insolation at anchor, great privacy, and good insulation from this super product. If the windage is too much under sail I shall divide the sheets and partially remove them. But it is surprisingly sleek. And i can't see why anyone would choose to be more exposed to the elements! Cost was $125/sheet + $300 timber. Its nice to have an extra cabin at mooring, where 29/30 days are spent!
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 06:41   #15

Randy that is really some great information. It definintely sounds like I will go with the O'sea Clear for the windows after hearing your story. The price to enclose the cockpit will no doubt be high but from what I am hearing will be well worth the high cost. I really enjoy spending time up in the cockpit but seem to get run down below often due to cold weather lately.

Tags
cockpit, paracelle