Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 07:47   #16

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Clothing Management

Does your boat have a shower stall? I installed a clothing pole in mine for more hanging storage. I mostly use it for weather gear">foul weather gear during passage, but it created a lot of space. My laundry hamper is in the shower below it. I have handholds on the ceiling at the centerline, where I can hang more clothes. I have a suitcase for lesser used clothes. Many liveaboards I know have a storage unit if some kind near where they keep their boat. Storing extra sails, the dinghy etc. creates more space on the boat for other things.
Old 20-06-2020, 08:17   #17

I thought clothing was optional? But keep your Speedo in good shape.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:01   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

One more idea is how you choose the fabrics.

Natural ones seem to keep moisture and smells.

Artificial ones seem to stand to boat conditions way better.

I wear shirts that are often a polyester/cotton mix and these seem to be very easy to wash, dry and keep as close to 'ironed' look as one can, without iron.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:26   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I've found that folding the dirty laundry drastically reduces the space needed to store it until laundry day. Yes, I just re-read that sentence and as stupid as it sounds, it's true.

And don't listen to any of the "holier than thou" purists who snidely put down living aboard and working. They're just trying to make themselves appear better. Ignore.
Old 20-06-2020, 09:29   #20
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I've purged my wardrobe of nearly everything cotton except for a couple of Mr. Manatee T-shirts. That's a Vero thing.

High-tech poly fabrics, rayon and silk do a much better job. Cotton works on land with AC and climate-control. On a boat, it performs quite poorly in comparison.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:50   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

And don't listen to any of the "holier than thou" purists who snidely put down living aboard and working. They're just trying to make themselves appear better. Ignore.

Who’s done that?

It doesn’t work for us on a 32’.....doesn’t mean it can’t work for someone else in a different climate or with a different job.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 05:50   #22

Boat: Halmatic 30

I live aboard on a 30 footer in the UK. For clothes storage, I converted the hanging locker into a space I could put plastic storage boxes with lids into. Also, under the V berth infill space. My clothes in the boxes always seem to stay nice and dry. A mixture of larger boxes for trousers, T shirts, pullovers, etc., and smaller ones for underwear and socks means that all available space is used. Stuff that is to go to the laundry lives in a couple of those large canvas 'bag for life' type shopping bags and that is in a much smaller former wet locker next to the companionway.

From September through to April, I run a desiccant dehumidifier and this keeps the boat nice and dry. Every boat is individual, so you might need to get a bit creative as to where you find the space, and in particular space that is easily accessed without needing to lift bunk cushions and so on.
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, men