Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 13:31   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Clothes washing

Help, - I must be doing something wrong! We've been washing the same clothes over and over again for years!
Old 21-03-2017, 02:22   #32

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I have the Dawoo mini front end loader. Small and compact
Click image for larger version

Name:	7504CF8B-4A46-46D8-A228-013F003FCCD0-1372-0000008B6A51A2F3.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	143603
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:07   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

daiwoo looke cute--awesome for th e large enough and overly electrified boater....
my wringer is my ketch rig. takes a lot of water out of my clothing, and anything that does not hold up to a good wring isnt gonna be worn anyway..
had a perfectly good broken wonderwash to see if i wanted a new one--hell to the no-=-not an option. i got cleaner clothes in my bucket with plunger. anything that does not come out by hand wash gets lost in the local flap n fold. trims down my wardrobe and bed sheet supply some. perfect boat laundry system
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 13:30   #34

Boat: Riva 48

Just sharing a success story on a smaller boat. I tried a number of washing machines and each has pro's and con's. The best setup is to get a small dual bin washing machine, the particular model I chose was Do Mini, 22" x 15" x 23" that spins at 1,300 rpm and has relatively powerful motors (240W washing, 120W spinning). It is plastic and fairly light. It allows simultaneous washing and spinning, so you can quickly go through a number of loads. I cut out parts of the bottom plastic part so that it can fit under the v-berth opening of my 31 foot boat.

The key considerations are: you want a dual bin machine because it saves water (e.g. you can reuse the rinse cycle water for the next wash cycle) and you want a 1,300 rpm spin cycle. This is the most compact, power friendly and water friendly solution I could find.

For the drying part, when underway, nothing beats the sun - it dries the clothes quickly, kills bacteria, etc. In a marina, I hung the clothes in the head and use a dehumidifier (a particularly good one is the EcoSeb 15-pint desiccant Dehumidifier). It uses only 300 watts on low (so technically, it is possible to use at anchor) and quickly removes massive amounts of water while also producing heat. Very pleased with the results.

Some solutions that I tried before and did not work well were the Hair HLP21N (too big, single bin so wastes water, not powerful enough with its 100W motor for either washing or spinning), any of the cheap single bin washing machines (not better than a plunger). Definitely browse the reviews on Amazon to get an idea what would work in your case.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 14:57   #35

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
I have the Dawoo mini front end loader. Small and compact
same here , will run off an inverter as well (on cold washing)
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 17:01   #36

Boat: Hanse 348

Do you have a link to the do mini , I am not finding this.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 19:13   #37

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Just sharing a success story on a smaller boat. I tried a number of washing machines and each has pro's and con's. The best setup is to get a small dual bin washing machine, the particular model I chose was Do Mini, 22" x 15" x 23" that spins at 1,300 rpm and has relatively powerful motors (240W washing, 120W spinning). It is plastic and fairly light. It allows simultaneous washing and spinning, so you can quickly go through a number of loads. I cut out parts of the bottom plastic part so that it can fit under the v-berth opening of my 31 foot boat.

The key considerations are: you want a dual bin machine because it saves water (e.g. you can reuse the rinse cycle water for the next wash cycle) and you want a 1,300 rpm spin cycle. This is the most compact, power friendly and water friendly solution I could find.

For the drying part, when underway, nothing beats the sun - it dries the clothes quickly, kills bacteria, etc. In a marina, I hung the clothes in the head and use a dehumidifier (a particularly good one is the EcoSeb 15-pint desiccant Dehumidifier). It uses only 300 watts on low (so technically, it is possible to use at anchor) and quickly removes massive amounts of water while also producing heat. Very pleased with the results.

Some solutions that I tried before and did not work well were the Hair HLP21N (too big, single bin so wastes water, not powerful enough with its 100W motor for either washing or spinning), any of the cheap single bin washing machines (not better than a plunger). Definitely browse the reviews on Amazon to get an idea what would work in your case.

SV Pizzazz
Thanks for the great info!!
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 19:47   #38

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

They have electric washing machines now????? what a fascinating modern world we live in!
Old 13-06-2017, 21:24   #39

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

SV Pizzazz
I agree %100...

We have the single bin version on our boat as we couldn't find the ones with the spinners where we cruise. In our RV we have the dual bin version. They are best way to clean clothes with a small amount of power!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 13:13   #40

This is the best solution I've seen

Yirego - Green household product

Should be available second half of this year as it enters mass production
Cujo665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 13:45   #41

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Small items aren't a problem. You can hand wash them, even better if you wear the same couple of sets of clothes everyday. Sure hand washing will never be as good as a quality machine wash, but will be clean enough.

The bigger problem is bedding. In a hot sweaty European, American, Caribbean etc.. summer, how are you are constantly keeping your good quality cotton better clean and fresh day in day out?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 04:14   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
.................The bigger problem is bedding. In a hot sweaty European, American, Caribbean etc.. summer, how are you are constantly keeping your good quality cotton better clean and fresh day in day out?
Part of the solution to this problem is not laundering, but behavior. I was raised in South Florida without air conditioning and it was not our habit to sleep with any coverings beyond a thin sheet. Many people from northern climes don't sleep well without the weight of coverings. It's best to become conditioned to not sleeping with any significant coverings.

Another important habit that keeps your bedding clean is to go to bed clean. Bathing is best done as the last thing before going to bed. Most cruisers are conserving fresh water and bathing only once a day. No salts, sweat or daily grime should ever be taken to bed.
Old 22-06-2017, 09:15   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To add to Hudsons statement of bathing before bed, not much cools you off better than a cool shower,, so you go to bed clean and not sweating
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing