Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 11:00   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Clothes and personal stuff taken....?

Nancie and I have developed a plan that works well for us related to our travel away from the boat. We take a couple of weeks each year away from our cruising to fly to some far, often inland, place. We sometimes need clothes that we don't keep aboard and we like to travel light with one carry-on apiece. We head for a "Goodwill", thrift or consignment shop and buy a few suitable outfits. Then, in some foreign country we leave these clothes at a "Goodwill" equivalent and fly back with a few purchases in our small carry-ons.
Old 20-12-2012, 12:03   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Inexpensive clothes can be bought nearly anywhere in the world.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 05:18   #33

Thank you, lots of ideas and specifics. I'm surprised the guys (some) have so many shoes. I was trying to select 4, one dress/casual, tennis shoes, hiking boots and my Sperry's. But then I have two pair of water shoes for the kayak I forgot and as mentioned above, swim fins (I'll call those equipment necessary for hull cleaning with her instead of recreational items, I'm trying to plan the toys to take as well, lol).

Never thought about buying as needed, makes sence.

My water shoes were always stored in the cockpit cubby holes along with wet gear. Seems wet swim suits, t-shirts and such dried quickly folded over the windshield (power boat) or lying on deck.

I think a duffel bag will be needed, I agree about no boxes on board, such would be the dirty clothes/laundry bag.Maybe a netted bag would be better.

I'll try to get those vacume bags, great idea.

I saw a curling iron mentioned (wish you hadn't mentioned that, I was hoping she'd leave it, lol) a real power sucker.

I'm seeing a messy boat and don't like that, I'd rather not have a shoe bag hang inside off the head door, or the berth being the utility room, seems like an excuse for a larger boat. Reminds me of vacations as a kid going camping and me riding on top of stuff in a '55 Pontiac station wagon, my mom took everything except the kitchen sink....even a rake to rake leaves and stuff away from the tent site!

I guess when you get out there and find you took too much you can always get rid of it, probably better than not taking something and then needing it.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 06:16   #34

We are not full timers yet, but the cardinal rule applies to all. If momma ain't happy nobody is happy. Try to get agree on storage space, realizing it will be exceeded and shut the h%## up. In our case we are on the Great Lakes where a West wind can drop the water temp into the 50's in August. Lots of coverups...did I mention my wife gets cold easily...what is it with flip flops...they all look the same to me but she has many. The aft head is being covered to storage...the shower will be shelves...
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 07:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post

I think a duffel bag will be needed, I agree about no boxes on board, such would be the dirty clothes/laundry bag.Maybe a netted bag would be better.

I saw a curling iron mentioned (wish you hadn't mentioned that, I was hoping she'd leave it, lol) a real power sucker.

I guess when you get out there and find you took too much you can always get rid of it, probably better than not taking something and then needing it.
LOL. The curling iron isn't as bad as my flat iron! That really draws amps. I only (& rarely) used it in a marina though. I snorkeled daily so didn't worry about hair. I used clips to put it up or in pony tails. At anchor, the sun dried my hair and I used an old fashioned curler for my bangs (mainly to keep out of my face). The best part was that no one cared about makeup or name brand clothes-they accepted you as you were. You made friends quicker because there was no pretense to get through.

Our laundry hamper is net and folds down into nothing when not needed. The netting keeps air circulation. Keeps the moisture & odor down.

I found we did the opposite. We gave things away that we ended up needing & buying again. That was annoying. I agree that I would pack things you may need on the trip then give away or do garage sale for things that don't fit.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 08:26   #36

Boat: Looking...

There's a lot to be said for short hair styles for sailing ladies...

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 08:41   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I would sooner face down a typhoon than discuss the clothing subject with a woman. Yikes! You are brave.

Warn her that the natural fibers don't survive well in many yachting locales. I.e. denim, wool sweaters. That's all I would do.

Yea-buddie! Tell the lady what wardrobe you will allow on board. After that, count her shoes and inspect her cosmetic bag. Just be glad to have someone who wants to be with you & cruise. The next time (if there is one) she will cull her stuff to what works - FOR HER!
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 11:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Yea-buddie! Tell the lady what wardrobe you will allow on board. After that, count her shoes and inspect her cosmetic bag. !

HaHa! And tell us how that works for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
There's a lot to be said for short hair styles for sailing ladies...

Yes, but it's not for all. Pony tails are easier than some short hair styles.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 12:34   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I always carry a suit and tie. OK so not a suit, but good trousers, black double breasted yaching jacket and two ties, one club and one definitly non club and propper black shoes to wear.

I hate being at an invite do feeling like a vagabond.

You should be able to be presentable at evening occasions, theater, dinners, whatever.

I dunno what girls wear.... But they should take a nice cocktail dress and shoes to match. They dont need ten of the things, but they do ned to be able to dress up and feel special... And more often than guys do!

The next piece on the agenda is to make sure she can wear such clothes a few times per year. Guys might feel good ass up innthe engine room, but girls feel special when they are invited out and are confident in looking great, so find out what events a on in your cruising grounds and get there!

Mark
PS dont force any short hair issue. Some girls like it, some girls feel like dykes. Its not a mans realm to push it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 12:53   #40

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

I still have not mastered the 'minimum' clothing requirement of cruising...but I will say that my favorite pieces of clothing while cruising in the Bahamas were made of high tech cloth that is strong and durable and resistant to dirt and liquids...it made for comfortable and cool wear, as well as quick drying when laundered either ashore or aboard.

Many different high tech clothing companies make skirts for women now that are great to wear hiking, sailing, and casual get togethers...those were my most reached for pieces while *out there*.

I can say that the more you bring the more time you will spend having to try to find things and that is just not fun.
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote