Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 09:29   #46

Boat: Couch Potato
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post

Please tell me how I can get a guaranteed 6% (after inflation, fund fees, etc.) on my nest egg. No matter what the market does. Regardless of bubbles and collapses.
I was not saying that I know a way that can guarantee 6 percent, if I did under boat name in my bio it would not say couch potato..

I was posting an ideal situation for me to sell everything and sail away.

But let's not nitpick I could squeeze with 5 percent ROI ;-)
Old 30-09-2013, 09:36   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Money for nothing doesn't exist. Onno
Not necessarily true. For the past 50 years Coca-Cola has paid dividends of about 2.9%, every single year.

$50M in preferred stock nets you $1.5M a year for doing absolutely nothing.

Now I just gotta come up with $50M....
Anyone wanna donate to my paypal?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:46   #48

Boat: Couch Potato
Re: Circumnavigation, Two Year's Cost

If you have 1.5 mil $ you can draw on it 36k per year with 4% annual increase and providing you earn 2% on it your nest egg will last for 30'ish years.

But as the saying goes the first million is the hardest however..

Mr. Gates if you are by chance reading these forums i would be eternally gratefull for 2.7 million US

lohi
Old 30-09-2013, 11:51   #49
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Not necessarily true. For the past 50 years Coca-Cola has paid dividends of about 2.9%, every single year.

$50M in preferred stock nets you $1.5M a year for doing absolutely nothing.

Now I just gotta come up with $50M....
Anyone wanna donate to my paypal?
2.9% is even below real inflation in most countries
You need at least 6-8% with lots of diversification to mitigate risk. Basically min 10 risk profiles in different industries/countries. But there is always min. entry ticket, ca $100k per bank/company. So $1m min, better $2-3m.

But if you have $1-3m, you cannot suddenly stop working - you will be bored after 2-3 weeks. So the plan is to work part-time, Internet+phone is a must.
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
2.9% is even below real inflation in most countries You need at least 6-8% with lots of diversification to mitigate risk. Basically min 10 risk profiles in different industries/countries. But there is always min. entry ticket, ca $100k per bank/company. So $1m min, better $2-3m. But if you have $1-3m, you cannot suddenly stop working - you will be bored after 2-3 weeks. So the plan is to work part-time, Internet+phone is a must.
2.9% is the dividend ratio, not a return on investment. 2.9% return on investment is very poor indeed. The dividend ratio has nothing to do with investments though. It's income that can be spent. You get that $1.5M every year as long as you have $50M in coke stock. The $50M is still there making money (hopefully, assuming stock price still goes up). And of course it's an asset.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:12   #51

This is how blue bloods make money for doing absolutely nothing. Take your inheritance and invest in preferred stock that pays dividends. They still have all their stock, no buying and selling needed. They just live off dividends...
Old 30-09-2013, 12:20   #52
SVI

You are right.
But stocks don't suit well the purpose of passive revenue. They don't bring enough dividends. Stock price can go under water (esp if bought at the top) for some time. Some companies (even in Dow Jones index) go bust (GM).

Emerging market bonds - this is what you need for guaranteed and high return. But you need to know the subject before investing. And diversify.

Dreaming does not help. Lay down your steps, and follow the plan. If you are young and prepared to work hard - you will get there

The main question is - how much is enough. That's different for each person...
Old 30-09-2013, 12:42   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
2.9% is the dividend ratio, not a return on investment. 2.9% return on investment is very poor indeed. The dividend ratio has nothing to do with investments though. It's income that can be spent. You get that $1.5M every year as long as you have $50M in coke stock. The $50M is still there making money (hopefully, assuming stock price still goes up). And of course it's an asset.
Coke bought my boat for the guy that I got it from,was told that he had some money from coke stock and it was pay taxes or spend some money so he and the "bean counter" figured a way to buy a boat instead of paying the "bean collecter",what I was told anyways...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Coke bought my boat for the guy that I got it from,was told that he had some money from coke stock and it was pay taxes or spend some money so he and the "bean counter" figured a way to buy a boat instead of paying the "bean collecter",what I was told anyways...
Like I said, my paypal is open to anyone that's wants to help me invest in coke
Old 30-09-2013, 12:52   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
You are right.
But stocks don't suit well the purpose of passive revenue. They don't bring enough dividends. Stock price can go under water (esp if bought at the top) for some time. Some companies (even in Dow Jones index) go bust (GM).

Emerging market bonds - this is what you need for guaranteed and high return. But you need to know the subject before investing. And diversify.

Dreaming does not help. Lay down your steps, and follow the plan. If you are young and prepared to work hard - you will get there

The main question is - how much is enough. That's different for each person...
"emerging markets" anything but potash in Russia..I am thinking the hottest thing out there is the Ukraine shale gas market( if Russia dosent butt in )Hot ,Hot ,Hot...If they do it(Ukraine), the USA and the EU will be there to "Protect" our interest and they(Ukraine) will become a net exporter(also!) Now can anyone tell me of any "Major" risk that may stand in the way of such a hot tip?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:31   #56

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Except death and taxes. And rich people have figure out one of those.
Old 30-09-2013, 23:42   #57
SVI

Quote:
"emerging markets" anything but potash in Russia..I am thinking the hottest thing out there is the Ukraine shale gas market( if Russia dosent butt in )Hot ,Hot ,Hot...If they do it(Ukraine), the USA and the EU will be there to "Protect" our interest and they(Ukraine) will become a net exporter(also!) Now can anyone tell me of any "Major" risk that may stand in the way of such a hot tip?
This was is a typical investor that has no idea about things he invests in - high chances to be burned first.
Have you ever been in Ukraine, dealt with Ukrainian business? I lived 1.5 years in Ukraine, and would not invest a penny there
Old 30-09-2013, 23:43   #58
SVI

Quote:
Like I said, my paypal is open to anyone that's wants to help me invest in coke
Stop dreaming, and go get some job )
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03   #59

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) Now can anyone tell me of any "Major" risk that may stand in the way of such a hot tip?
e.g. political risk

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13   #60

Quote:
Stop dreaming, and go get some job )
I don't wanna!

Tags
circumnavigation