Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 13:21   #1

Boat: Undecided ~Something bluewater for a circumnavigation in or around 2020
Circumnavigation

Ok, so I retire in a couple of years and I've set my mind on a circumnavigation as a top priority on my bucket list. I'm a newbe but I've been looking around a bit and seeing as how I'm 6'4" and this trip will likely last a couple of years, I'd like something reasonable. Reasonable in my mind means large and comfortable without being too big to single hand and naturally it needs to be a serious and stable blue-water boat with a pilothouse and nice flat decks. I don't really prefer ultra fancy boats because they just aren't my cup of tea and they're also out of my range, budget wise. So what is a working man's boat that is reasonable, as defined above? I was thinking a Hudson Force 50, but am I kidding myself as to this boats capabilities or is this boat a realistic candidate, and what other boats should I be looking at?
illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 13:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Circumnavigation

Howdy Illini and Welcome Aboard this forum!

I see this is your first post on the forum.

I got this! (Stay tuned for something that I think will help you. )
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

I have a few friendly suggestions that may help you get more helpful and detailed and relevant responses and less flak or flippant responses from others here.

Since the topic you posted is very broad, "Choosing a boat for a Circumnavigation," it will help to focus the discussion if you will provide additional information in the form of another introduction statement from you that will tell us more about your own perspective and possible needs in a choice of boats.

The more you share upfront, the more likely others will respond to points you consider important, without making incorrect assumptions about your level of experience or budget or desires.

So, here are my suggestions on how to get more and better responses on the "What Boat Should I Buy" type of question:

There have been many threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum.

Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. It is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.

I suggest you try it today with the key words "circumnavigation" or terms like "which boat" or "what boat" or "first boat" or similar. Just make sure you use the "Google Custom Search" field and not the regular search field.

Since you are tall, I also suggest you search the archives for threads using the terms "headroom" and "tall." That might help you find lists of boats that are suggested for taller sailors. I am 6' tall so I fit most boats easily. But, when you get to be 6' 4" it becomes a problem for those sailors.

Second:

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is your budget?"

With an adequate budget (funds or "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

So, name the funds and then ask folks to spend them for you.

Bigger budgets bring more possibilities for newer boats or the possibility to refit older boats. The membership of a forum like this is very broad, from some who happily cruise on a shoe-string budget in smaller boats, to others who have million dollar larger boats and relatively large cruising budgets too.

And a few more of my tips related to getting answers here:

1. Post a more detailed description of what your own experience is regarding sailing and boats AND if you have owned boats before and what kind (and size). Are you a newbie or an old salt or somewhere in between? For example, I started sailing about 40 years ago and spent 30 days on a offshore voyage far from land, but I have never owned a big cruising boat. So, while I am not a newbie to sailing, I do consider myself a newbie regarding (my future) boat ownership issues, especially regarding the large cruising boats, with their many systems to maintain. I tell this to others upfront, because I don't want them to assume I know all the answers already. Regardless of my own experience, I feel I can always learn from those more experienced or those with a different point of view. I have found it helps in the beginning of a discussion with strangers to give them some idea of my own experience and understanding or lack of understanding of the issues.

2. Post your intended places to sail your dream boat and how you think you might use it (e.g. coastal only, where, marina living mostly or water sailing">blue water sailing, crossing the Pacific, going to high latitudes, mostly day sailing). Some live aboard sailors rarely leave the marina dock, while others cross oceans and circle the planet. As another point, some sailors consider speed to be very important, while others consider comfort more important. A sailor intending to mostly sail in cold waters and cold and wet climate (Pacific Northwest) may want a pilothouse boat for shelter from the cold and rain, while a sailor in the hot Caribbean may look for a large open cockpit where they can lounge under a bimini or cockpit awning, enjoying the breezes.

3. Post the things you like and don't like about boats you have seen so far or what you hope to find in your dream boat. For example, do you want a centerline queen bed (berth) in an aft cabin, or will a raised Vberth in the bow of the boat satisfy you and your spouse? Some want a separate shower stall in the head, while others don't care. Some want a newer boat, while some don't mind 1980 era boats. Some like traditional styling, teak decks and lots of external teak (brightwork) while others won't touch them. So, tell us what you like and don't like about those boats you are considering.

On this point, I have found that people often make buying decisions based on a few essential or desirable features that "sold" them on that purchase or boat. This could be something like "a large galley because I like to cook." Or it could be "a big Saloon table for seating family and guests at meal time." Or perhaps "standing head room in the master cabin." Can you think of a few of those features you found in your boat search so far? If you tell others about those, it may lead to them suggesting other boats that have a similar feature or feel.

For example, when I go below in a traditional styled boat (e.g. Hans Christian 43) I feel "snug and secure in the warm teak interior with oil lamps and lots of wood and a small wood stove completes the picture." But others will see that same boat as a dark hole with little sunlight, and they would prefer modern styling with lots of "windows" and white interiors with little wood to maintain. Do you have a strong preference?

I hope these suggestions help you and/or others.

Sincerely,
Steady
Old 21-05-2015, 16:28   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

I have a few friendly suggestions that may help you get more helpful and detailed and relevant responses and less flak or flippant responses from others here.

Since the topic you posted is very broad, "Choosing a boat for a Circumnavigation," it will help to focus the discussion if you will provide additional information in the form of another introduction statement from you that will tell us more about your own perspective and possible needs in a choice of boats.

The more you share upfront, the more likely others will respond to points you consider important, without making incorrect assumptions about your level of experience or budget or desires.

So, here are my suggestions on how to get more and better responses on the "What Boat Should I Buy" type of question:

There have been many threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum.

Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. It is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.

I suggest you try it today with the key words "circumnavigation" or terms like "which boat" or "what boat" or "first boat" or similar. Just make sure you use the "Google Custom Search" field and not the regular search field.

Since you are tall, I also suggest you search the archives for threads using the terms "headroom" and "tall." That might help you find lists of boats that are suggested for taller sailors. I am 6' tall so I fit most boats easily. But, when you get to be 6' 4" it becomes a problem for those sailors.

Second:

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is your budget?"

With an adequate budget (funds or "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

So, name the funds and then ask folks to spend them for you.

Bigger budgets bring more possibilities for newer boats or the possibility to refit older boats. The membership of a forum like this is very broad, from some who happily cruise on a shoe-string budget in smaller boats, to others who have million dollar larger boats and relatively large cruising budgets too.

And a few more of my tips related to getting answers here:

1. Post a more detailed description of what your own experience is regarding sailing and boats AND if you have owned boats before and what kind (and size). Are you a newbie or an old salt or somewhere in between? For example, I started sailing about 40 years ago and spent 30 days on a offshore voyage far from land, but I have never owned a big cruising boat. So, while I am not a newbie to sailing, I do consider myself a newbie regarding (my future) boat ownership issues, especially regarding the large cruising boats, with their many systems to maintain. I tell this to others upfront, because I don't want them to assume I know all the answers already. Regardless of my own experience, I feel I can always learn from those more experienced or those with a different point of view. I have found it helps in the beginning of a discussion with strangers to give them some idea of my own experience and understanding or lack of understanding of the issues.

2. Post your intended places to sail your dream boat and how you think you might use it (e.g. coastal only, where, marina living mostly or blue water sailing, crossing the Pacific, going to high latitudes, mostly day sailing). Some live aboard sailors rarely leave the marina dock, while others cross oceans and circle the planet. As another point, some sailors consider speed to be very important, while others consider comfort more important. A sailor intending to mostly sail in cold waters and cold and wet climate (Pacific Northwest) may want a pilothouse boat for shelter from the cold and rain, while a sailor in the hot Caribbean may look for a large open cockpit where they can lounge under a bimini or cockpit awning, enjoying the breezes.

3. Post the things you like and don't like about boats you have seen so far or what you hope to find in your dream boat. For example, do you want a centerline queen bed (berth) in an aft cabin, or will a raised Vberth in the bow of the boat satisfy you and your spouse? Some want a separate shower stall in the head, while others don't care. Some want a newer boat, while some don't mind 1980 era boats. Some like traditional styling, teak decks and lots of external teak (brightwork) while others won't touch them. So, tell us what you like and don't like about those boats you are considering.

On this point, I have found that people often make buying decisions based on a few essential or desirable features that "sold" them on that purchase or boat. This could be something like "a large galley because I like to cook." Or it could be "a big Saloon table for seating family and guests at meal time." Or perhaps "standing head room in the master cabin." Can you think of a few of those features you found in your boat search so far? If you tell others about those, it may lead to them suggesting other boats that have a similar feature or feel.

For example, when I go below in a traditional styled boat (e.g. Hans Christian 43) I feel "snug and secure in the warm teak interior with oil lamps and lots of wood and a small wood stove completes the picture." But others will see that same boat as a dark hole with little sunlight, and they would prefer modern styling with lots of "windows" and white interiors with little wood to maintain. Do you have a strong preference?

I hope these suggestions help you and/or others.

Sincerely,
Steady
+1. That's some awesome advice. And its free.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:35   #5

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Pilot House? 50 feet? What is your definition of fancy?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 18:49   #6

Thank you Steady!

Let me try this again,

1. Ok, so my boating experience is limited to motor boats only, a 19 foot Bayliner and a 29 foot Bayliner hybrid on lake Michigan, lake Pontchartrain and a very quick trip out into the Gulf of Mexico. I have absolutely no sailing experience but I have a few years till retirement and I don't have to leave on the very first day of retirement of course, so there's plenty of time to learn. Of course in preparation I've got a bunch of sailing boats and have read and re-read them (Living aboard a boat ~Nicholas, How To Sail Around The World ~Roth, The Voyagers Hand Book ~Leonard, ect.) and I'm painfully aware that reading is not sailing in terms of learning.
2. My intention while I circumnavigate is to sail for a few weeks at a time from port to port and stay a few weeks or months in each port if I feel like it. My path would likely take me to the south of Africa and South America. No hurry at all, In fact I'd like to take my time purposefully. I plan to stick to English speaking ports as much as possible because that's all I speak, with the exception of some pretty awfully mangled Spanish.
3. Things I like in a boat, a pilothouse for when the weather gets nasty for two weeks at a time. Flat decks, or as nearly flat as possible, I think flat decks are safer in heavy seas, also , and more importantly I can't stand walking on uneven or cluttered floors. Which means I'd also like a boat with a relatively flat floor (sole?). A simple robust design and trimmings (think tug boat rather than Thurston Howell's yacht, Think stainless counters rather than granite). A kitchen, bath with shower, reasonable head and elbow room for a guy 6'4" tall. Because of the length of this trip I'm thinking that a bit bigger than I absolutely need is going to be better than a bit smaller than I absolutely need. That's why I was thinking right around the 50' mark give or take. Obviously a smaller boat with great headroom might more than make up for its smaller size. Oh and really good motor access is high on my list, lack of decent access/engineering drives me crazy, well access to all the working bits really. And I absolutely don't need a racer of any kind, a big fat comfortable plodding slow poke will be fine, I'll have all the time in the world at this point and I don't mind being out of touch for extended periods of time. And I'm not going to mind running the engine in low wind conditions, so long as the boat actually does sail once the wind picks up, I'll be fine with that. In fact I'm getting to where I really quite like it. It's just me and my dog so I don't need a ton of room but I also don't want to be miserable because I'm to cramped.
Things I don't like in a boat, not having a pilothouse, cramped quarters (I know all Boats are cramped), underpowered engines (I know all sail boats are under powered), To much granite counters, motorized TV's, finishes that aren't durable and fufu stuff that add complexity and always breaks down, no flat working space on deck or walkways that are too small or nonexistent, boats that pitch and heave in rough seas, floors (sole?) that aren't flat, boats that have unnecessarily bad layouts, particularly bathrooms and kitchens, boats that have kitchens that because of bad design are unusable while under way.
4. I am reasonably handy, having built several houses and cabins and restored several cars, and rebuilt many, many engines , transmissions ect. I have over 30 years in construction as an electrician and now own my own company, but of course I've never windlassed a halyard to a whoha or even a whatchahoozie for that matter, so I know there's going to be a steep learning curve in terms of maintenance as well as learning to sail.
5. My budget is between 50 and 100k mostly because I don't want payments. Then, not counting repairs or any initial refit I was thinking of a monthly budget right around 3-4k maybe 5k if I go crazy. Given my relatively meager budget I'm not adverse to a little elbow grease, or refitting if it's the right boat. In fact it'll give me a better chance to get acquainted with the various pumps, valves, winches, tackle, generators and whatnot.
Old 21-05-2015, 18:56   #7

Oh and I like boats that have both outside controls and a pilothouse so you have the option of either depending on conditions.
Old 21-05-2015, 19:11   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Check out Ted Brewer designs(link below) and Gazelle( though I cannot find the one I'm thinking of)
Pan Oceanic Owners Group - POG

Good luck and happy boat shopping!
Erika
Old 21-05-2015, 19:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Check out Ted Brewer designs(link below) and Gazelle( though I cannot find the one I'm thinking of)
Pan Oceanic Owners Group - POG

Good luck and happy boat shopping!
Erika
Oh very nice!
Old 21-05-2015, 19:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Pilot House? 50 feet? What is your definition of fancy?
I guess I mean any boat that has a remote control that you press and the TV comes out of the granite/marble floor, wall or ceiling. That sort of thing, any boat that's realistically designed more to sit at the dock rather than survive the trip around the south end of South America. I mean to say that I'd much rather have a sea worthy beater than a dock queen, if that makes sense?
Old 21-05-2015, 19:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That kind of detailed description helps, including the books on sailing you have read.

Ocean Girl and I think alike. As I was reading your Likes, I thought of the Pan Oceanic 46 boat. I don't know the headroom, but I think that would be a boat that could fit in other ways.

Good luck and keep reading and searching threads. There is a lot of good info here.
Old 21-05-2015, 19:31   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I do think your budget is low for a 50' boat.

Start digging through listing on yachtworld, narrow it down with keywords.....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 19:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That kind of detailed description helps, including the books on sailing you have read.

Ocean Girl and I think alike. As I was reading your Likes, I thought of the Pan Oceanic 46 boat. I don't know the headroom, but I think that would be a boat that could fit in other ways.

Good luck and keep reading and searching threads. There is a lot of good info here.
Yes BOOKS not boats...

I think the Oceanic looks just about exactly what I was thinking. The only reason I was thinking Hudson Force 50 is because it ticked all the boxes but I've read in a few places that the quality, although the best of the breed is a bit lacking. And that in light wind they sail rather like plowing a field, but that part I'm fine with, quality issues not so much.
Old 21-05-2015, 20:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do have another friendly suggestion.

I took a quick look at your forum Profile Page and there was no information there, which is understandable since you are new to the forum. So, my suggestion: Copy and paste some of your intro note from here to your forum Profile Page. That basic info may help someone in the future, when or if they look at your profile as you begin to post in the forum threads. It also helps people relate to you and your experience or your goals.

Why?
I did not do this until after many people looked at my profile, and I missed sharing info with over a 1,000 people who were curious about me.

My reason for this suggestion?
I think the Profile Page is a good way to help make a forum a more "human" place as a "community" and I also encourage the use of a photo of a human (e.g. a headshot) as an "profile photo" too for the same reason. For an example, you can look at my profile so you can see I "walk the talk."

Directions on the Profile Page and uploading photos are found in the helpful forum FAQ pages.

Blue Water Boats?

There have been many discussions on this forum about the topic of "Blue Water boats."
The following link will take you to a custom search page with many different threads you could read and those have hundreds if not thousands of comments on the topic.

Good luck on your search, research, and making you dreams come true. 

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater - Google Search

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater - Google Search

TIP 3: A good place to start learning something about classic boats (mostly older boats from the 1970s and 1980s, so lower priced now as used boats) that are popular in the US waters is a website focused on "Bluewater Boats." Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
Old 21-05-2015, 23:38   #15

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Maybe it's just me, but I think you sound like a catamaran sailor.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation