Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 18:10   #31

Re: chlorine in aluminium water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
"Real" RO water, and I do not mean to offend either Rich or Tellie, but RO water like what is used for Hemodialysis is essentially so pure that it will leach any metals it can, see water is of course the universal solvent and usually has lots of dissolved minerals etc in it, but "real" RO water is pretty much just pure water and will aggressively attack pipes etc.
I believe it is also not the best thing for you to drink.

But I believe our watermakers do not supply anything near to the level of "pure" water of a "real" RO unit, the TDS of a "real" RO unit would of course always read zero, and you do not want to drink pure water, I believe it would leech minerals from your body.

No its not poisonous but long term its not the best for you, plus it tastes like crap too.
I fell sick in 1996 because of the water that I was drinking and that I was sure it was safe. I have since gone to Reverse Osmosis (RO) water and have been fine since. I want to drink pure water and get my minerals through the food instead of drinking water that you are not sure of the source. RO water is aggressive which means that it is so pure that it will attract to the water the mineral and metals surrounding it. If you have unwanted minerals and metals in you body, I believe that these will be attracted by the RO water and will be illiminated. For the slime in your aluminum tank is caused by iron bacteria or fungus and can be rid of by using chlorine or hydrogen peroxide. Not easy to get rid of. I have a boat which is 28 years old and I had to replace my sewage tank this summer. At the same time I removed the fuel tank (gas) and had it inspected and also removed the drinking water tank for inspection and the fuel and water tanks were as good shape as the day they were installed.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 18:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
"Real" RO water, and I do not mean to offend either Rich or Tellie, but RO water like what is used for Hemodialysis is essentially so pure that it will leach any metals it can, see water is of course the universal solvent and usually has lots of dissolved minerals etc in it, but "real" RO water is pretty much just pure water and will aggressively attack pipes etc.
I believe it is also not the best thing for you to drink.

But I believe our watermakers do not supply anything near to the level of "pure" water of a "real" RO unit, the TDS of a "real" RO unit would of course always read zero, and you do not want to drink pure water, I believe it would leech minerals from your body.

No its not poisonous but long term its not the best for you, plus it tastes like crap too.

Also wanted to add that RO water has no taste as it is pure water. If there is a taste, it is due to a filtering membrane that has a coconut flavour especially added for better taste.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 12:16   #33

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Oh Boy, I am not sure what to think. I will need to take all the comments and see what the general theme is. My water tanks are not leaking, although I have had to have the feeder tube replaced as it was so badly pitted it was sucking air when the water level dropped. Plus we fitted a seagull IV filter system and the filter got clogged up with slime, stopping it from working. I will not sacrifice another filter until I can get rid of the slime as a minimum. I will also try to steam clean the tank with an extension pipe to hopefully reach into the baffled areas. Then I guess hydrogen peroxide as a final treatment and see where that leaves us.
My thanks to everyone who has commented. If I hit upon a good solution without having to replace the tank or cut the top off it to line it with something I will let you know.
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:55   #34

White corrosion product in aluminium water tanks will eventually eat them out not influenced much by water source. My research is that you need magnesium anode as is used in hot water systems (in Australia anyway). Got some from same people who make zinc anodes and attached them to a stainless steel cable earthed to tank through filler. Some erosion after 6 months or so, about what I would expect and seem to have stopped production of hard white pellets blocking screens etc in fresh water system. After years of boats and metal corrosion as a job, it was all news to me.
fnq grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 03:50   #35

Boat: 2021 NEEL 47 (Hull #30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
…..it would take a full tank of water and a very high PH cleaner to do it such as sodium hydroxide solution which would not be a good idea……
Please don’t ever let sodium hydroxide come into contact with Aluminium. It reacts big time: volcano-ing, spitting, burning spatters…….. yikes.
SVNagambie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water