Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 11:39   #1

Cheapest country for a live aboard?

Whats the cheapest country that i can live on a sailboat?
I'm going to be solo so i'm looking for somewhere i can park my dingy to load up provisions. My thoughts where ... philippines .. peru ... ecuador ..
I'm wanting to keep the costs under $800 usd
wavetwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cheapest country for a live aboard?

To some degree it will depend on how you plan to live and to a greater degree on how long you plan to stay. Most countries it's free to anchor but if you want to tie to a dock the costs for that vary a lot from country to country and also from place to place within the country.

A major factor is how long you plan to stay. Many countries limit visitors to a few months or so unless you get some kind of long stay visa.

One question, $800. Is that per month, per year or what? If $800/month you could easily do that in the US if you anchor out and cook most of your own meals.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:56   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

You might want to add in some additional information to narrow down the list. You can live for next to nothing in Greenland in the winter months... because there aren't any places open and that means you cannot spend any money. But would you want to be there?

You are probably thinking about tropical paradise locations with warm soothing winds and soft sand beaches. That narrows down the list of countries to those perhaps +/- 20 degrees of the equator. Do you want a country where they can understand English? one with big cities to escape to? Marinas? Is criminality an issue, or corruption?
Old 06-09-2021, 12:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
To some degree it will depend on how you plan to live and to a greater degree on how long you plan to stay. Most countries it's free to anchor but if you want to tie to a dock the costs for that vary a lot from country to country and also from place to place within the country.

A major factor is how long you plan to stay. Many countries limit visitors to a few months or so unless you get some kind of long stay visa.

One question, $800. Is that per month, per year or what? If $800/month you could easily do that in the US if you anchor out and cook most of your own meals.
Its $800 per month and the plan is to live live on a boat vs getting an apartment. I hear that $800 is hard to live on in the USA. I have family by the philippeans and i assume i would have to live on a boat if i moved by them.
wavetwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 13:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetwister View Post
Its $800 per month and the plan is to live live on a boat vs getting an apartment. I hear that $800 is hard to live on in the USA. I have family by the philippeans and i assume i would have to live on a boat if i moved by them.
If you live on a boat, anchor out, don't own a car, pick the right location and cook your own meals then I assure you that you can live in the US for $800/month. This does assume you don't run into any big, unexpected boat repair bills.

Have not been to the Philippines but have had friends that spent time there. If you aren't living in a fancy apartment in a city then you should be able to live modestly even on land for that much. Have a friend who retired to Thailand who lives very, very well on $2,000/month. Again if you live modestly you should be able to live ok on $800.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 14:16   #6

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Thailand on boat anchored out no problem. How frugal are you?
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 18:50   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Join the military. They will house you, feed you, provide medical and dental care and give you spending money to boot.
Old 06-09-2021, 18:58   #8

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

The criteria was live on a sail boat not in barracks
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Once you are “in” New Zealand is actually pretty cheap. But as housing prices soar, I think liveaboards are going to be more and more restricted.

But then again, we’ve been referring to it as the “last freedom” here since 2005....
Old 07-09-2021, 00:30   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Once you are “in” New Zealand is actually pretty cheap. But as housing prices soar, I think liveaboards are going to be more and more restricted.

But then again, we’ve been referring to it as the “last freedom” here since 2005....

Using USD or EUR makes NZ not so expensive, but local goods and services are relatively expensive due to the small market. I had forgotten how much cheaper virtually everything is in Australia. But at least in Queensland there seem to be anchoring limits pretty much everywhere that would make it difficult to live aboard in a single place, while we hadn’t run into that issue in NZ.

But hey, if you don’t need to spend money on big boat projects and don’t need marina facilities, just about anyplace in the world is cheap to live where there is no housing cost. Except maybe northern Europe?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:33   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetwister View Post
Whats the cheapest country that i can live on a sailboat?
I'm going to be solo so i'm looking for somewhere i can park my dingy to load up provisions. My thoughts where ... philippines .. peru ... ecuador ..
I'm wanting to keep the costs under $800 usd
probably Bangladesh

as for Philippines, it cost $20 a month to rent a 3 room house when I was there, so you wouldn't need to live on the boat once there. It depends on the island though. I managed about $100 a month there.

NZ is bad value. Lots of stuff there has high prices which is strange as it doesn't cost any more to send container ships there than anywhere else.

You could live in any country in the world on $800 a month.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
You could live in any country in the world on $800 a month.
No chance in Switzerland and Denmark. Lived there, it just doesn't work.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:10   #13

I lived in Philippines and maintain a business there. It's much cheaper than the US and English speaking. There aren't a lot of Marinas but you would need security somehow. You don't need to fret over piracey, but the seas are full of fisherman that will pilfer things. There are viable solutions though re security.
I don't know about 20 usd/month housing. crowded boarding houses with students and tiny noisy buggy spaces go for around 30 to 40/month. Things are cheap, not free.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:17   #14

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
The criteria was live on a sail boat not in barracks
So join the Navy? 😎
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:20   #15

Goa is the cheapest place I have been to. Dinner at a restaurant at $5- $6. Rum $3 a bottle. They even have some wine of their own. Temperature about 25C in the winter. Down side is there is rubbish everywhere. The people are pleasant and speak English. I would not want to live there as it is pretty run down.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap