Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:48   #1

pirate Charleston SC area marinas

Does anyone know of any marinas in Charleston SC area that allow liveaboards? I want to buy a Gemini Cat and live full time on it while I work in land based job.
ScubaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:29   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Charleston SC area marinas

Check St. Johns Yacht Harbor they have a very nice marina with a ton of live-aboards. Some of the nicest facilities I've ever seen. The bad is the long walk to the car and nothing super close.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07   #3

Charleston City Marina is supposed to be super nice also, but they have a waiting list for liveaboard last I checked..(about 3 weeks ago). I am hoping to do the same in the future..currently live upstate SC.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:22   #4

Also, the Harborage at Ashley. Both are on the Ashley River side of the peninsula. There is another one on Cooper River side closer to Mt Pleasant.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:35   #5

Yeah I checked Harborage at Ashley and they told me they don't allow liveaboards. I read on another forum it's better to go in person when asking about liveaboards too, because they like to see the person. Thanks I'll keep checking.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:29   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaAmy View Post
Does anyone know of any marinas in Charleston SC area that allow liveaboards? I want to buy a Gemini Cat and live full time on it while I work in land based job.
There is a web page that will give you all the rates in Charleston. You might check Bohicket Marina on John's Island, the Isle of Palms Marina and ones a Folly Beach.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44   #7

Boat: Tartan 3500 - 35 ft

Check out Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina in Mt Pleasant. Although I was not a live aboard, I just left that marina after 4 years due to a job change. Nice marina that does allow live aboards.
spoehlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Classic Yachts / Classic 26

It's about 40 minutes north, but Osprey Marina up by Myrtle Beach is awesome! Free continental breakfast, very quiet and clean and the nicest staff ever. Stayed there for a year and really miss it.
JediRockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:19   #9

While I haven't checked with all the marinas I did check with several of them. If they allow live aboards they have a waiting list. As you speak with them get your name on the list that way if something opens up you'll at least be in line.

George
GMiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 15:11   #10

Boat: None

These marinas -- at least City Marina and Patriot Point -- are expensive. If this is a plan to beat the high cost of rent, I suspect it will not. Otherwise, Charleston a truly wonderful place to visit and live.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:40   #11

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

Sunset Cay on the Folly River does allow live aboards, but then you will have to deal with the tidal river and the shifting sandbar right outside the marina, as well as a tricky inlet from the Ocean.

St Johns does also allow live aboards, but a couple of things you should be aware of are the river current, the mosquitoes and narrow dock spaces. Facilities are first rate, however, and do include a pool and gas pumps.

You could also try Mariner's Cay further up the Folly above Sunset Cay. They traditionally have not allowed live aboards as it is a 'dock-condo' development and the spaces are individually owned, but I think that they may be allowing live aboards on a case-by-case basis. You would need to contact the dock master, Ed Geiger.

I have a slip at Mariner's Cay which I may be selling or renting, so if they are open to the live aboard idea please contact me if interested.
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 18:28   #12

Boat: looking for my first

Charleston Harbor at Patriots Point also has pool access for slip holders. I think they also have a shuttle bus to downtown Charleston.
capn blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:14   #13

We have had better luck with marinas when we describe ourselves as transients rather than liveaboards.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 13:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlsutton View Post
Sunset Cay on the Folly River does allow live aboards, but then you will have to deal with the tidal river and the shifting sandbar right outside the marina, as well as a tricky inlet from the Ocean.

St Johns does also allow live aboards, but a couple of things you should be aware of are the river current, the mosquitoes and narrow dock spaces. Facilities are first rate, however, and do include a pool and gas pumps.

You could also try Mariner's Cay further up the Folly above Sunset Cay. They traditionally have not allowed live aboards as it is a 'dock-condo' development and the spaces are individually owned, but I think that they may be allowing live aboards on a case-by-case basis. You would need to contact the dock master, Ed Geiger.

I have a slip at Mariner's Cay which I may be selling or renting, so if they are open to the live aboard idea please contact me if interested.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaAmy View Post
Thanks for the info!
I would be interested to hear what you find out, if you wouldn't mind keeping us posted on this thread.
I have tried to contact several of the smaller marinas down there via email, websites, and FB pages and almost never get a response. I know phone and in person is a better way to do so, but it is a little hard since I don't live there.

Tags
marinas