Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 18:33   #16

Re: Changing my life, setting sail in a year!

kill joy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Skipper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:45   #17

Boat: Niagara 35

Sounds like an amazing opportunity.

We'll be here if you have any specific questions about outfitting.

How long a trip have you been on? Think about electricity generation, anchoring gear, and heavy weather sails (you won't need much for the trip you're contemplating, but at least have both reef points rigged and know how to use them).

Those are the three things that weekend sailors sometimes don't need to worry about because they can choose good weather weekends to go sailing and they're always back at the dock in a couple days to charge the batteries.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:01   #18

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
How long a trip have you been on? Think about electricity generation, anchoring gear, and heavy weather sails (you won't need much for the trip you're contemplating, but at least have both reef points rigged and know how to use them).
Hey, Thanks!
I am probably thinking about a year. I honestly want to do it for as long as possible. But I'll either run out of money or my dad will ask for his boat back...

and yes I have started a list and I'm currently canvasing people for the pros and cons of solar panels and wind generators.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:34   #19

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hi Lambordinghy, It sounds like a good plan. Just out of curiosity, what is you college degree in? If you had a passion for your degree program, I would encourage you to explore opportunities to practice your trade and support your sailing lifestyle. Do this during your yearlong sailing adventure.

You might be surprised how your college degree opens up many doors into the marine industry.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
Hi Lambordinghy, It sounds like a good plan. Just out of curiosity, what is you college degree in? If you had a passion for your degree program, I would encourage you to explore opportunities to practice your trade and support your sailing lifestyle. Do this during your yearlong sailing adventure.

You might be surprised how your college degree opens up many doors into the marine industry.
My degree is in Latin American Politics, this degree plan required me to learn Spanish which was probably the most useful part of it! No, I really do love politics but I can't really see myself being political as a career. I moreover picked the degree because of my interest in human sociology and politics.
Old 29-07-2015, 13:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambordinghy View Post
Hey, Thanks!
I am probably thinking about a year. I honestly want to do it for as long as possible. But I'll either run out of money or my dad will ask for his boat back...

and yes I have started a list and I'm currently canvasing people for the pros and cons of solar panels and wind generators.
I think most people on here will agree that you should put as much solar on as possible and then consider wind. You get a lot more amps per dollar with solar and no noise.

Note: Reducing consumption is just as important. Your first step should be LED lights, especially your anchor light.
Old 29-07-2015, 13:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Note: Reducing consumption is just as important. Your first step should be LED lights, especially your anchor light.
hmmm.. I've never thought of using LED's to reduce power consumption
Thanks for the tip!
Old 29-07-2015, 13:45   #23

Quote:
hmmm.. I've never thought of using LED's to reduce power consumption
Thanks for the tip!
I cut my power consumption by a third just by switching over. It was magic!

If you don't have a battery monitor already, install one now. Energy balance takes a while to get a handle on and you want to get to know the current draw of the particular things you have installed as well as your typical usage patterns.

The cost of the monitor will be made back in money you save by not killing your batteries by accident.
Old 29-07-2015, 17:10   #24

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
My degree is in Latin American Politics, this degree plan required me to learn Spanish which was probably the most useful part of it! No, I really do love politics but I can't really see myself being political as a career. I moreover picked the degree because of my interest in human sociology and politics.
What a great degree to complement sailing!!! Cuba is just opening to cruisers and charter companies. I could see how understanding the Latin American culture and politics AND Spanish speaking skills could be real asset!

Good luck!!
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:12   #25

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You lucky dog!!! Working on and around boats...cool.

My simple thoughts.

You do not need to perfect. Just better, more honest and reliable then the next guy. In the marine industry that should difficult.

To take cruise ship people out on a tour would be a good gig. Seems the tour crew was relaxed and had a few different options. Not sure if those different options of locations would keep your job from being boring...you do not want a boring job. There were 4 to handle the 52' catamaran.

You should find a like minded woman to travel with. If you can not find one...I am available but am an old man.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:23   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

Sounds like a very good plan. You will discover what it is like to live on a boat, to take care of a boat and to sail a boat. You will see what you like and what you do not like. You will meet other boaters and you will be close to places where boat jobs are ...

My piece of advice: take it slow, one step at a time, make sure you feel 100% competent on day trips before you set out for your first overnighter. Then use the same mentality towards longer trips.

Have fun and let us know what it is like to you.

Cheers,
b.

If it is not fun, it is not sailing.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail