Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 07:26   #1

Center or aft cock pits

Okay my commuity being I’m a newby,need some advise on what advantages and disadvantages of center cock pits over aft cock pits,vise versa.
Much appreciate all in put.Thanks
William parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:44   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Center or aft cock pits

Opinions vary. Most CC boats under 40 feet look more like bath tubs than sleek sailboat. As a dock queen live aboard, CCs seem to be popular- more open below at the expense of smaller cockpit.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:45   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Cc boats are mostly about the aft centerline berth
Old 27-05-2019, 07:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi William,

Common question and the answer is, like all things boats, it's a compromise. I agree with S/V Illusion that center cockpit boats can look fat and boxy but that really varies from boat to boat. I had a 34' center cockpit that had beautiful lines, my current 42 CC I have to agree is not the sleekest looking boat in the marina but not too bad.

I do disagree about the cockpits. I've had three center cockpit boats, 34, 36 and 42' and all three could seat as many people as I wanted to have on board and were quite big enough to sleep two. On the other hand I've seen aft cockpit boats that barely had room for two to sit.

If you want to spend a couple of hours reading opinions, this has been asked at least a dozen times. Towards the top of the screen there's a menu bar with an option for "search". Use that and you'll find many previous, long discussions (arguments?) on the issue.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:25   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Generally speaking, CC offer greater feeling of safety and for that reason is a better blue water option. Stern cockpits usually offer more room and greater access to stern docks and for that reason is a better option to stern docking, coastal sailing and Mediterranean mooring.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:31   #6

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Twenty years ago we purchased a 40 foot Moody center cockpit for a family sabbatical cruise (Orontes I). At the time a big advantage was the separation between the parent's cabin and the kids' cabins.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:41   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by William parr View Post
Okay my commuity being I’m a newby,need some advise on what advantages and disadvantages of center cock pits over aft cock pits,vise versa.
Much appreciate all in put.Thanks
I read that in terms of design Bob Perry says 43 feet is pushing the lower limit for a center cockpit boat, others have said 35 feet.

Those who choose a center cockpit usually do so to achieve a cabin style they prefer.

I personally prefer an aft cockpit because from the helm I can see pretty much the whole boat and it feels more natural to me. I also don't like the look of most center cockpit boats.

I have read that center cockpit boats generally have a higher center of gravity.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:44   #8

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

I've owned and cruised an aft cockpit Tayana 37 and my current boat, a center cockpit Kelley-Peterson 44. In my mind, the main drawback to most cc boats is that in order to get enough height inside for a pass through to the aft cabin, they give the boat too much freeboard. The KP44 avoids this by making the pass through only about 5 feet tall. It's uncomfortable for me to get my 6'3" body through it, but I accept the trade off as a good one. Taken as a whole, I prefer the cc a lot. The motion in the cockpit is minimized when underway and the visibility is great. Also, we needed the aft cabin when I inherited my nephew and he started cruising with us. I discount the comment about Med mooring unless your comparing it with something that has a sugar scoop stern. I don't like those (though I can see their advantages) as the sugar scoop stern makes it almost impossible to mount vane steering. Having twice cruised to the S. Pacific and back, I would be very reluctant to do so without vane steering. Autopilots are great, but they just break too often to be relied upon that much.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:58   #9

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

In my opinion, CC designs are nice tropical boats. The center cockpit with bimini is an excellent spot for enjoying the world around you under sail or at anchor. A drawback to these designs is access to your dinghy. CC designs generally have high freeboard and lack any kind of swimstep.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:00   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

It all depends on the design. Traditionally a C/C boat was often a ketch with a small deep cockpit just in front of the mizzen mast. The was a great arrangement for offshore sailing. Cockpit was small, unlikely to take water and drained quickly if it did. Often there was a very good engine room below as well plus an access hatch in the floor through which the engine could be lifted out. Motion in the cockpit is minimized as it is closer to the roll and pitch centers. Accommodation aft the cockpit was not disturbed as much when sailing and there are now boots or winches overhead. The key point about this layout is that the cockpit sole was only a few inches above the water line. To me this is the ideal layout for offshore sailing but is very hard to find now.
By contrast modern C/C boats seem to have the priorities of maximizing accommodation space below and creating a spacious lounging area above. Great day sailing in good weather but not many pluses when offshore. The effect has been described as a 'pea on a drum'. Motion is accentuated and there is little protection for the watch. Effectively you don't really have a cockpit but the boat is sailed from the deck.
http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/...81-3755079.jpg Example of a modern flush deck C/C
http://www.kristiannekoch.com/wp-con...indra-0655.jpg
Example of a traditional C/C layout

Hope that helps
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:44   #11

Boat: S2 35C

The queen-size aft birth and distance from kids in forepeak was the initial draw to our S2 35C. Walkthrough galley layout is handy. I find docking with a central view easier, too. And the aft ladder and scoop transom make dinghy access a breeze. Downside. Not as much deck locker storage as most aft cockpits.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:23   #12

I agree with Roland in that it all depends on the design. Just as you can't lump all aft cockpit boats together in one lump, nor can you lump the center cockpit ones. Here's a profile shot of our Kelley Peterson. The freeboard is within the normal range of aft cockpit boats of the same length. The one thing I really missed, was seeing the stars from a comfortable perch in the cockpit during night watches. I loved the weather protection, but missed the stars.

http://dbsail.org/LoosePointer/index_files/image002.jpg
Old 27-05-2019, 12:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Best View Post
I've owned and cruised an aft cockpit Tayana 37 and my current boat, a center cockpit Kelley-Peterson 44. In my mind, the main drawback to most cc boats is that in order to get enough height inside for a pass through to the aft cabin, they give the boat too much freeboard. The KP44 avoids this by making the pass through only about 5 feet tall. It's uncomfortable for me to get my 6'3" body through it, but I accept the trade off as a good one. Taken as a whole, I prefer the cc a lot. The motion in the cockpit is minimized when underway and the visibility is great. Also, we needed the aft cabin when I inherited my nephew and he started cruising with us. I discount the comment about Med mooring unless your comparing it with something that has a sugar scoop stern. I don't like those (though I can see their advantages) as the sugar scoop stern makes it almost impossible to mount vane steering. Having twice cruised to the S. Pacific and back, I would be very reluctant to do so without vane steering. Autopilots are great, but they just break too often to be relied upon that much.
FYI, reference image below: Sugar scoop stern and windvane, twice the sweetness. SailoMat.
Link: SAILOMAT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailomatViewFromAft.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	192765  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:57   #14

I've said it before...

Because modern designers have listened to owners and found out that the boats spend 5% of the time at sea and 95% of the time at anchor on on a marina. Build a boat that does the 5% ok and the 95% great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
By contrast modern C/C boats seem to have the priorities of maximizing accommodation space below and creating a spacious lounging area above. Great day sailing in good weather but not many pluses when offshore. The effect has been described as a 'pea on a drum'. Motion is accentuated and there is little protection for the watch. Effectively you don't really have a cockpit but the boat is sailed from the deck.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:00   #15

FYI Montanon,
While we were stopped in the Galapagos, the boats with sugar scoops were pretty much all fighting a constant with the (quite large) seals as they loved to hang out on those sugar scoops in groups.
- Dan