Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 12:06   #1

Caught that Sailing bug

hey everyone!

So I'm kind of new to the world of sailing and been really interested in living aboard a sail boat. I work near the coast so i think that would be perfect for me. i would love to eventually learn to sail and travel off. I've been doing some research and from what i can see a boat between 27-33 ft could work comfortably for me. now I'm trying to figure out which is a good first live aboard. What do you guys recommend
thanks for reading !
StrangerTimes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 13:25   #2

Boat: Hunter 170
Re: Caught that Sailing bug

Go get on some boats to see the differences. Get out on a sailboat for a day or volunteer to crew at a local race and see if you like it at all. If you can get out on a Sunfish or other small boats you will learn some of the basics cheap and it can be fun.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 14:41   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Strangertimes09! Where are you in SoCal? Many marinas have restrictions on liveaboards now. IO know here in mine there is a 35' minimum, so you may want to shop for something longer... which is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you can afford it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 19:19   #4

Awesome thanks for the welcome
Im in the SD/IE Areas. Im fairly close to Oceanside, Dana Point and Newport beach.
Oh I didn'tdnt even think about any minimum lengths, so how would one go about rates before you have a boat?
Old 04-11-2020, 06:18   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerTimes09 View Post
Awesome thanks for the welcome
Im in the SD/IE Areas. Im fairly close to Oceanside, Dana Point and Newport beach.
Oh I didn'tdnt even think about any minimum lengths, so how would one go about rates before you have a boat?
I think you will just have to call all the marinas and ask about their policies on liveaboards and availability. Ask also about what the policy is on buying a boat that is currently a liveaboard and can the permit be transferred. In my own marina there were two or three 35' slips a while back that could have accommodated a liveaboard, but I think they are no longer available.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Strangertimes 09, be aware that the "Sailing bug" is a chronic condition and you may be afflicted for life and there is no know cure. Since you plan to live aboard the best thing you can do is be comfortable so buy a boat that has adequate head room.
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:43   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP there are 3 sailing clubs at Dana Point Marina.
Dana Point Marina
Adventura Sailing Club
Dana West Sailing Club
Pick one of them and join. Then keep an eye on the noticeboard for crew spots.

More importantly!
Go in to the bar, drink lots of beer and meet and mingle. The sort of boat you're talking about is typically a small keeler and skippers are always looking for crew, be it racing or a day sail to one of the Channel Islands. Make sure you go out on different boats.
And when you go out sailing take snacks and chocolate to offer around. Cake will win many friends.
After the sail back, head in to the Club, drink more beer.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:20   #8

Boat: O'Day 26

Welcome to Cruisers Forum StrangerTimes09. You do not indicate what experience you have had actually sailing, but it sounds like your first concern is purchasing a sailboat you can live on. I am not at all familiar with the legalities of living on a boat at a marina in California, but here on the east coast purchasing a boat the size you are contemplating the can prove to be the least expensive part of the endeavor. While I certainly do not wish to discourage you, if your experience has been limited to going out in someone's sailboat a few times, you should probably consider taking some serious sailing lessons, join a sailing club, and try to spend a few nights on a sailboat. Yes, "one" can reasonably live on a boat in the range of 27-33 feet but it would be helpful to determine if you and a boat will be a good match before you take the plunge. Many have been bitten by the "sailing bug" only to find the divorce can be expensive (not yet speaking from personal experience). BEST WISHES!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo Jim View Post
Strangertimes 09, be aware that the "Sailing bug" is a chronic condition and you may be afflicted for life and there is no know cure. Since you plan to live aboard the best thing you can do is be comfortable so buy a boat that has adequate head room.
Most definitely headroom is gonna be a key factor for me, Im 6ft so i will need some wiggle room.
Old 04-11-2020, 16:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideTime View Post
Welcome to Cruisers Forum StrangerTimes09. You do not indicate what experience you have had actually sailing, but it sounds like your first concern is purchasing a sailboat you can live on. I am not at all familiar with the legalities of living on a boat at a marina in California, but here on the east coast purchasing a boat the size you are contemplating the can prove to be the least expensive part of the endeavor. While I certainly do not wish to discourage you, if your experience has been limited to going out in someone's sailboat a few times, you should probably consider taking some serious sailing lessons, join a sailing club, and try to spend a few nights on a sailboat. Yes, "one" can reasonably live on a boat in the range of 27-33 feet but it would be helpful to determine if you and a boat will be a good match before you take the plunge. Many have been bitten by the "sailing bug" only to find the divorce can be expensive (not yet speaking from personal experience). BEST WISHES!
Hey there
thanks for replying!

Honestly, i have ZERO experience or knowledge of sailing, yet alone any idea of purchasing a boat or if i should lease one. i only know from what i read and from what I've seen online on you tube of Vloggers that are self sufficient and sail all over (Goal one day).
I know it aint much but i gotta start some where right !
i currently live with family right now so finding a boat and location i think would be a good start off. i dont mind finding a fixer upper so i know blood sweat and tears will be in my future but i think im up for a good challenge and plus i get to see how every thing works what goes into sailing
its a bit of rough but hey Oh well
-
StangerTimes09
Old 04-11-2020, 17:22   #11

Welcome Stranger Times. My first time contributing here too although I have been reading for several years.
I’m a catamaran live aboard for nearly 5 years however I don’t want to enter into the catamaran vs monohull debate. Suffice it to say there’s plusses and minuses to both. You’ll certainly need headroom otherwise you’ll go stir crazy. That’s available on both styles however note if you choose a sub-33 ft cat you’ll be unlikely to get the height you want throughout. My cat is 45 ft and has full headroom throughout.
Three things however, 1. The bigger the boat the more cr*p you’ll collect although if you intend cruising this isn’t a real problem as speed isn’t a priority; 2. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you can access the engine/s with ease for maintenance and repairs (at some stage you Will need to do this) My boat has engines which are 3ft X 3ft X 3ft in a space 2ft X 2ft X2ft, or so it seems; 3. From experience the work (not cost) if you do it yourself will be close to the same for comparable size mono and cats leaving aside the obvious hull differences.
For me, my cat certainly gives me a more relaxed lifestyle in the saloon and the cockpit (and gives me a working space) than monos I looked at because I’m your height but sadly not as thin as I used to be.
One of the reasons I bought a cat was if I ever get a partner (sadly that hasn’t happened yet) if we have a barney then she (hopefully) can stay on her side with the food and I’ll stay on mine with the booze until things have cooled down. LOL.
I’m in the big Oz. Manutenance cost for my cat is roughly 1. landlubbers costs for 12 month’s house rates, insurance and maintenance (say $3500) plus 2. Rego, insurance and servicing of 2 cars - not fuel (say $3500) and this includes hardstand costs for annual antifouling etc. These figures assume no significant capital outlay and most of the work you do yourself (you'll always find someone to help you for a case of beer! And you can normally drink it with them too!!!) Marina rent of a mooring or slip (as you call the mooring space in the US) costs here are about 50% more for a cat than a comparable length mono (and that includes the overhang of your dinghy aft and your bowsprit forwards so perhaps this info helps.
If it was me looking for a mono I’d be looking for a beamy one, maybe a bilge keeler or one without too much draught (perhaps a swing keel?) so I can get up a creek or into mangroves if there’s a storm, cyclone, hurricane or whatever coming my way and also because I like plenty of living space, or a cat for the same reasons. From my experience you won’t know whether your boat suits you until you buy and live aboard for maybe 6 months regardless of how many day sails you go on so I hope the above helps you through your adventure. Me? I’m having a hell of a good time in Oz and on track to adventure sail the Great Barrier Reef next year and I l-o-o-o-v-e the lifestyle, especially wine o'clock. I hope you end up doing so too.
sailor301284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 18:13   #12

Agree with Shorefun. Start on dingys because you learn the finer points of sailing - small boats are not as forgiving as yachts so you have to learn fast.
Hanseaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 22:37   #13

Here is an article on living aboard in the Socal area, with a good list of marinas including dana point. First thing would be get a list of possible liveaboard marinas, check if they have space and then buy a boat that meets the requiment. Definitely don't assume having slip means you can live on it.

https://www.thelog.com/local/floatin...0Dana%20Point.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 23:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor301284 View Post
Welcome Stranger Times. My first time contributing here too although I have been reading for several years.
I’m a catamaran live aboard for nearly 5 years
Hey!
Cats are nice looking. Ever since i saw Water world with Keven Costner, I've loved the way Catamaran look and the just sit effortlessly in the water o0o0weee Its funny you bring them up i came across this article
just this afternoon they look complex and fun to sail

https://www.yachtsinternational.com/...l-vs-catamaran
Old 05-11-2020, 08:43   #15

I've always had a fascination and interest with the nomadic lifestyle. Being able to pack up your home and have a new view the next morning is an AWESOME idea. till recently with all this stuff going on with the world i figured i get the ball rolling and start looking
any books i should start looking to that'll help me out would appreciated I found this one
How to Read a Nautical Chart, 2nd Edition (Includes ALL of Chart #1): A Complete Guide to Using and Understanding Electronic and Paper Charts
any thoughts

Tags
learning, live-aboard, sail, sailing