Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 10:33   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Caught that Sailing bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerTimes09 View Post
Hey there
thanks for replying!

Honestly, i have ZERO experience or knowledge of sailing, yet alone any idea of purchasing a boat or if i should lease one. i only know from what i read and from what I've seen online on you tube of Vloggers that are self sufficient and sail all over (Goal one day).
I know it aint much but i gotta start some where right !
i currently live with family right now so finding a boat and location i think would be a good start off. i don’t mind finding a fixer upper so i know blood sweat and tears will be in my future but i think im up for a good challenge and plus i get to see how everything works what goes into sailing
its a bit of rough but hey Oh well
-
StangerTimes09
Strangertimes09, Not to be unkind but one really has to question how you can "catch the sailing bug" with zero experience or knowledge.

I think you have fallen in love with a concept, with the image of sailing (and living aboard) which has struck your fancy, but which many before you have found out has little to do with the reality of either.

It's a little like falling in love with a foreign bride whom you've never met.

Well, there is nothing the matter with jumping in with both feet only to find out after a few months that it isn't for you (Or maybe you will be someone who really did catch the bug and sailing will be part of your life from now on.)

But if you want to avoid a likely costly mistake, get involved with sailing without investing the money or taking on the responsibility of boat ownership.

Get out on the water, a lot. Not once, Not for a trip to Catalina, not for sailing lessons. But every week, for several months.

I recommend getting on a racing crew, even if you don't think you will like racing. They go every week good weather or bad, and they will be knowledgeable. In a year on a racing crew you will know 100% more than you do now and will be better able to make an informed decision.
Old 20-11-2020, 13:12   #32

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33

We’re full time on a 33’ trimaran and we like it.
Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 04:26   #33

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Strangertimes09, Not to be unkind but one really has to question how you can "catch the sailing bug" with zero experience or knowledge.

I think you have fallen in love with a concept, with the image of sailing (and living aboard) which has struck your fancy, but which many before you have found out has little to do with the reality of either.
I believe what you have just described is what society calls "a dream".

StrangerTimes, ignore those who purchase mail order brides and wonder why the relationship didn't turn out as they planned. Just because some had a bad relationship doesn't mean love doesn't exist in the world.

- Focus on your dream and ignore the masses (better yet surround yourself with like-minded people).
- Set some goals and take steps to make your dream a reality.
- Set a date and mark it on the calendar (in sharpie)
- Take the leap!!!

oh, and if you have the time amidst living your perfect life... remember to come back here from time to time to remind those behind you that not ALL people on a cruisers forum believe that cruising is a complete disaster of a lifestyle leading to certain death/disaster/misery.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 21:01   #34

Thats exactly what im doing in planning stages SO i wont have to worry failing just yet and if i do pft oh well on to next one
StrangerTimes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 21:39   #35

I don't think you can fail at sailing as long as you survive it. Giving up is another thing.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 09:11   #36

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerTimes09 View Post
Thats exactly what im doing in planning stages SO i wont have to worry failing just yet and if i do pft oh well on to next one
Failing? Hardly.
Failing is just part of learning (the main part)!

Why wait your whole life to go try sailing/cruising only to learn either:
- It's your perfect dream and you wasted decades not doing what you truly love
OR
- It's not the right dream for you after all?

Either way, who cares? IF you get out here and decide it's not for you, than you've learned a ton about yourself and about what you actually want.

That's not failure, that's life and you're now better equipped to chase the next dream (and have more decades to do so)!

And as Yihang so eloquently said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I don't think you can fail at sailing as long as you survive it. Giving up is another thing.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, live-aboard, sail, sailing