Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 20:00   #31

Boat: Still building
Re: Cats and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
We couldn't keep the Big Boy (Squirt) on a tether.

Cannot believe I have found another marmalade cat named 'Squirt'. Freaky.

My original 'Squirt' was an orphan, found in a cardboard box outside the petshop my sister worked in back in college. In order not to get too attached to these little mites she was feeding four times a night, she gave them 'descriptive' names, eg: 'White Sox', 'The Little Squirt' (the runt of the litter). Got abbreviated to Squirt. He died a few years ago of old age (19yrs) and I was too heartbroken to get another, but recently found my new little guy on the local pound website, so I rescued him a few hours before he copped 'the needle'.
He's one happy camper, chez moi, and got called Squirt because A) I couldn't think of a better name, and he was little, and B) because I kept calling him Squirt anyway. And it saved on getting new tags engraved....

He likes his enclosed litter tray, which I though might be of interest to cruisers. Keeps the litter inside, and the smells, even if you don't use 'crystals' cat litter, of which I am now a supporter. No smell at all 5min after a number 2, and they dry out and can be picked up easily with tissue or the sieve thing that comes with the tray.

Petco Enclosed Cat Litter Boxes Available Online from petco.com

Buy Perfect Pet - Cat Litter Crystals | Read Reviews | BIG W Online Store Australia

I believe the 'crystals' are silica based, and have a proportion of the crystals tinted with deodoriser. A friend with a cat in a one-bedroom apartment put me onto them. No smell. I was a sceptic, but after trying them, am a convert!

Here's my guy hangin' on the back of the couch...just so's he can check out what I'm up to....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0108.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	70128  
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 00:24   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We have two cats on board, Puss and Fluff. They came to us at about 10 days old so are completley used to being on the boat. Puss gets seasick in really rough weather but knows that she feels better outside so sits in the cockpit with us. Fluff finds the comfiest place with the least movement and stays there.

We are in the long, slow process of training them to use the head, it will be so nice to get rid of the litter tray completely.

We very rarely tie up to the shore so both cats are free to roam on deck, no tethers here. If we do tie up Puss loves to go ashore and will disappear for the day, she always comes back when she hears the engine start. Fluff scared herself when she went ashore a couple of years ago so now she will just sit at the stern and watch what's going on ashore.

Both cats swim very well. Puss falls in often when we are at anchor, usually from the back of the dinghy as she's fishing! She can get herself back on board via the swim ladder (even if it's not down in the water), we came home from a shopping trip to find a wet Puss on our bed one day! Fluff fell in 3 years ago and quickly learnt that she doesn't like it. We do not use net around the rails, however we do have an 8" gunwale which gives them security.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18   #33

Food is not a problem!

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:03   #34

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

See videos on YouTube re: training cats to use toilet.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:22   #35

Boat: Columbia 41

Edith was 6 when I got her through Craig's List. She did not like the motion of the boat at all and I am in a marina most of the time. She did once try to jump to the dock but went head first into the Potomac. She is a fast learner and never tried that again. She is timid by nature and ducks for a dark corner when anyone comes down the dock. I use ordinary clumping litter from the Safeway. It works okay. I have to think of some use for those white plastic jugs that the stuff comes in.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote