Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 19:22   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Cast Iron - Do you use it?

I have been a liveaboard sine September 2018 - so roughly 8 months now located in the PNW.

My boat is in a refit phase currently so I haven't left the dock but a few times. By the end of this year I am hoping to be out sailing, even during winter, regardless of weather.

That being said, prior to living aboard I was traveling out of my Toyota 4Runner with my wife. We put over 40,000 miles on the vehicle in roughly 8 months traveling all through Mexico.

During that trip, we cooked on a 2 burner coleman stove with a set of pots/pans that fit inside each other. When we moved aboard our boat, we got our cast iron pan back, and got a teflon pot and a smaller teflon pan. Our primary cooking source will be cast iron, but often times in the morning before work will make egg sandwiches with the small teflon pan.

Any boiled product is cooked in the teflon pot.

Who here used cast iron? Are you a full time cruiser? Do you live aboard in a marina(like me)?

I believe cast iron can be used given it is taken care of, will be perfectly fine to use when cruising. I am not entirely sure I'd use it under way, but when at anchor I see no reason not to use it.

I was raised on cast iron pots/pans in the Fiji islands(on the water front). Rust was a huge battle on EVERYTHING, yet well seasoned cast iron always seemed to have minimal rust.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:38   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Cast Iron - Do you use it?

We use ceramic covered cast iron and stainless steal. Teflon not so healthy......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:39   #3

Boat: MS Fisher 30

Glad to see your post! We're packing up to move from SoCal to SC end of June and was considering letting the cast iron go. I've got two skillets, dutch oven, and other smaller items. I was going to let them go because of the weight, not because of the cast iron. Pretty sure, taken care of, they'll be around after I and the boat are long gone.

I think I've talked myself in to keeping at least one of the skillets.

Anyone in SC or SoCal need a skillet or Dutch oven?
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:44   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

Yep. Finex is a great and it is heirloom quality. Also, it's wonderful to look at. Click image for larger version

Name:	869741182.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	191999Click image for larger version

Name:	646240122.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	192000
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 20:19   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well-made and well-seasoned cast iron is a joy to cook on, and though I don't have any for my boat, I sure would like to find some good ones! It is not easy to find the high quality pans and dutch ovens but I used them daily on commercial river trips and they were preferable to anything else. Well seasoned they are non-stick and need only be cleaned with salt, never soap.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 21:53   #6

Glad to see others in favor. If I was moving to a boat and was concerned about transferring the items(cost due to weight) across the country, I'd definitely select the most usable one. I have a 10" skillet(i believe its a 10) from Lodge. Definitely not the best, but I ground down their seasoning and smoothed it out about 6 years ago and built up a new seasoning. Works great, amazing non-stick properties and is incredibly versatile.

I generally wash mine with a little bit of water and the back of a sponge, or if something is really stuck on their, heat the bugger up high with a little bit of oil, use a wooden spoon or wooden spatula(cheap ikea ones work great) and scrub the sh*t out of it until it's free and clear. Wipe out with a towel of some sort and you're golden.

I recently replaced my entire propane system(5lb tank emptied out in a matter of minutes) and stove from an old 3 burner hillerange to a brand new 4 burner force 10 stove/oven.

On the old stove, the 10" skillet was a little too large as I was only able to use the smaller non-stick pan on the burner next to it while being off center. With the 4 burner model, i have more versatility as it has two large burners and two small ones, though i'll have similar issues with space, but atleast pots/pans would be on center of the burner.

I could see someone who isn't very much into cooking not wanting to have cast iron, or has issues with maintaining it, but I have to say - I love having mine and am looking to replace mine with higher quality units which weigh less, and also replacing my teflon ones(am not a fan).

Glad to see others who liveaboard who also use it
Old 13-05-2019, 21:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Yep. Finex is a great and it is heirloom quality. Also, it's wonderful to look at. Attachment 191999Attachment 192000
Must say - that is definitely a lovely looking one AND the counter top is lovely too
Old 13-05-2019, 22:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I mostly use cast iron. Especially frying - I got tired of eating the non stick on other, lighter pans. I either cook on a diesel stove or 2 induction hot plates. I use olive oil or pam, both work fine. I wash mine in the dishwasher. Then preheat and re-oil.

I have one cast iron pan I've been using for 50 years.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 22:28   #9

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Let's see....

I use my dutch oven almost daily to bake bread, IMO it's the best way to bake bread on the boat

Before leaving from Cape Town single-handed to Uruguay a few years ago I bought a cast iron grill pan as a passage present ( needed an excuse). It gets used for everything from Fish to meat and everything in between.

I also have a small frying pan I use for eggs,bacon, etc.

As far as other pans I just have a Magma nesting set that is 5 years old and still holding up.

I will say I do like having the enamel coated dutch oven.

LD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	192007  
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:43   #10

Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater

Our family switched to cast iron about 55 years ago when my Mother was diagnosed with severe anemia. After 6 months it was under enough control to stop weekly injections.

Iíve used cast ever since. Forced to switch from Griswold to Lodge after a theft. Now I make everything from omelets to waffles on my Cast iron.

Wash it normally with light soap, dry and re-oil. Nearly no rust.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:05   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
My boat is in a refit phase currently so I haven't left the dock but a few times. By the end of this year I am hoping to be out sailing, even during winter, regardless of weather.
A favorite pan is a holy thing and a personal joy. Certainly keep your favorite smaller cast iron fry pan.

An off topic comment - Darned right, sail Puget Sound in the winter. That is when the wind blows!
Dooglas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:26   #12

I live aboard half-time. My Force 10 puts out more heat than my six-burner GE on land. The cast iron 10 inch is my go-to, though a little awkward on the small stove. Rust is not an issue. For cleaning, there is a chain mail product available on Amazon or Bed Bath & B. Good scrubbing takes off everything but the seasoning, leaving a little grease that wipes out with a paper towel.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:34   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Our family switched to cast iron about 55 years ago when my Mother was diagnosed with severe anemia. After 6 months it was under enough control to stop weekly injections.

Iíve used cast ever since. Forced to switch from Griswold to Lodge after a theft. Now I make everything from omelets to waffles on my Cast iron.

Wash it normally with light soap, dry and re-oil. Nearly no rust.
I use mt Lodge 10" pan and my enameled cast iron Dutch oven every day. I will say that I can't lift a Dutch oven full of food underway, it's just too heavy if the boat's rocking and rolling. Keep it seasoned and its your best friend, thinner cookware overheats and burns stuff, the cast iron evens everything out. Oh, and we're liveaboards for the last 5 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_092718.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	192041
Old 14-05-2019, 09:51   #14
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Take all the cast iron you have, don't get rid of any

The ultimate is Le Creuset with the enameled interior, but very expensive. There are knock-offs but yard/estate sales are a source as well.

Very happy with all our cast iron but with Force 10 not so much. We still use it as a cardanic base for portable induction burners but will remove it and replace with something DIY custom made for induction cooktops. The good news is that cast iron is the best option for induction as well 👍
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:55   #15

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use a 10in pan all the time and have a square cake pan for baking that works very well...I heat the baking pan up abit then fill and pop into a preheated oven, it makes great corn bread and other cakey things, ohh and lasagna.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote