Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 09:21   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Cast Iron - Do you use it?

I have a I have a 14 inch round cast iron griddle that my mom got from her mom used 45 years ago. I've been using it on the boat for the last 12 years. I wash it in saltwater many of times, though rinse with fresh, and let it dry on deck.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:56   #32

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
The issue about aluminum transferring into the food - especially as it relates to a possible link to Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions has been thoroughly debunked.
I wouldn't say "thoroughly debunked." It's just that there is no clear and convincing evidence that links aluminum to alzheimers. There is still ongoing research into it. That said, one could make the same connection with iron. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-...s-and-dementia

What one shouldn't do with aluminum cookware is cook highly-acidic foods such a tomatoes. It causes pitting of the cookware and makes the food taste metallic.

More reading: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-cookware.html
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 18:41   #33

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I wouldn't say "thoroughly debunked." It's just that there is no clear and convincing evidence that links aluminum to alzheimers. There is still ongoing research into it. That said, one could make the same connection with iron. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-...s-and-dementia

What one shouldn't do with aluminum cookware is cook highly-acidic foods such a tomatoes. It causes pitting of the cookware and makes the food taste metallic.

More reading: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-cookware.html

Skip to the last paragraph for the punch line. So much research and little to point to in regards cause and effect.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#207563de4a3b

As far as taste is concerned - I have highly developed smell and taste abilities, especially after quitting smoking 25 years ago. I don’t taste aluminum in my food and we cook with aluminum all the time.
Old 15-05-2019, 19:12   #34

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I never mentioned i was cooking with induction - I have a brand new force 10 stove I just installed. Had a scare about 2 weeks ago with a 5lb tank completely discharging. Entire propane system was ripped out and a new one installed.

I did question the propane system when we bought the boat and should have just replaced it when I questioned it. Now - I do not question it and am completely comfortable with it.

The admiral loves cooking and baking(i too love cooking), and couldn't do an alcohol stove/oven. They are great, but propane is far better. We cook daily and rarely eat out so being able to cook all our meals and goodies in a timely fashion is worth having propane aboard.

For my teflon pan - it has one purpose and that is to fry eggs in the morning for an egg sandwich. I can have a sandwich prepped in about 10 minutes or less and my clean up is wiping out the pan as I would with cast iron. I am on the market for a small cast iron skillet to replace this one as i much prefer cast iron.

I do have a large stainless steel pot for boiling that doubles as a pressure cooker
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 17:22   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I want to thank you all for inspiring me to go look for a good cast iron skillet! I found one that seems good so far by "Greater Goods"! It is polished on the inside which I consider very important. The Lodge pans I saw were not. It also comes pre-seasoned with a good oil but I am doing more of my own seasoning anyway. Soap will never touch this pan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-05-17 at 5.19.51 PM.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	192235  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 06:34   #36

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Skip to the last paragraph for the punch line. So much research and little to point to in regards cause and effect.
Forbes is not exactly a scientific journal. The source document, from which your punchline comes, covers a lot of Al-entry routes (vaccine adjuvants, cosmetics, water, welding fume and exposure to bauxite), but does not touch on aluminum cookware - except for cooking heroin. The paper was partially-funded by the aluminum industry, so you can draw your own conclusions
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 08:05   #37

Boat: Bavaria 36'

A 10” cast iron frying pan is a fine self defence weapon. Flat on or edge on depending on how much damage you want to do.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 10:42   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I have used a cast iron frying pan aboard for 40+ years and wouldn't change for anything. Nice and heavy, so it doesn't move around in a seaway (the stove is gimbled, but -- well, you know). Just keep the cast iron well seasoned and it will last forever. Even clean-up is easy.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 15:21   #39

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Love this support for cast iron. I've been cooking with cast iron on board, full time, since moving aboard in 1984, with pans I've used since 1975.

I wash my pans like any other pan, using soap and scrubbing hard when needed. While cruising, after washing with salt water, a rinse with fresh and then the never-to-be-skipped magic of stove drying them on high heat, they were/are oiled well, then whatever oil not absorbed into the metal wiped dry. I have NEVER have had a bit of rust appear.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 17:29   #40

Yes! Yes! Yes!
billburr is offline   Reply With Quote