Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 06:08   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Carry-On Air Conditioners

First of all, no, I don't want to go to the expense of installed AC. I can use my spinnaker halyard to move the Carry-On from my center hatch off and on the boat with ease for sailing. It does a GREAT job of cooling the boat.

Here's the problem: it drips water. It drips water in an inconvenient place, as well. I actually have a rectangular bucket that would catch it all, but it would sit half on and half off the small refrig. Or I have to put the table up just for the bucket, which takes up a lot of space.

It seems to be leveled well; a couple of neighbors helped me and the bubble is well within the lines. But the condensation drips into the cabin.

There doesn't seem to be any way to attach a drain hose to it that could be led either outside or to the bilge, but maybe I've missed something. The drain hose would actually be ideal, because I have slats, not solid wood, in front of the head and it would be very easy to run it to the bilge. But there seems to be no receptor on the AC for a hose.

Any suggestions? I really don't mind not having AC when I sail, but at the dock there's less breeze, and where I am in the summer it doesn't cool off at night.

Thanks for any bright ideas!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 07:28   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Carry-On Air Conditioners

The Carry On is not supposed to drip. Like most window units it has a fan slinger that sprays the condensate on the condenser coil and it evaporates. So there may be an internal pluggage of dust that is keeping this from happening. If you can pull of the housing and look inside to see what is happening.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote