Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 16:09   #31

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Car-Carrying Box Boat?

no disrespect meant but you need a pile more cash than you have, why waste the money, better to get a second hand job for 1 year than waste the time and money now,, then buy a used one
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:20   #32

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Go to Yachtworld advanced search and type in centerboard, reverse the order (the 750k ones at the top are depressing) you will find after the 20-25 footers some 10-12k 30-23 footers. Save your money and buy a 12k boat then put your time an effort into making it sea worthy. One thing is you will need a good motor, you can’t sail in the cannels.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:22   #33

Boat: private yacht always moving

If he still want to carry a car with him he can downsize to a matchbox size car and carry it in his pocket
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:55   #34

I am actually about to settle for Phil Bolger's Jessie Cooper design. She's a 25' yawl that is built from standard 4x8 ply. That would provide living space and the versatility needs would be met. Also, looking at the plans it looks like she would only need about 40 sheets of ply, which I can actually work into my budget for the time being.

A second hand job would help considerably, and maybe then I could put away for a used boat, even though most of the used ones that are anywhere near my price range are almost ready to sink. Yes, I've looked at that. But that avenue has been tried and didn't work out. My timeline is based on when my GI benefits run out, and then I have only what my photography will bring in. If I'm not on the water by then, I will be pretty well out of options. Credit is not an option either, been there too, don't qualify.
ShadowGyrlBrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 17:08   #35

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

If you are serious about cruising Europe's inland waterways there are shed loads of canal boats available for varying amounts of money and which obviously give various amounts of comfort. Some of the larger ones do in fact carry small cars but they are more likely to be expensive and be restricted as to where they can go. But most can easily manage a bike / moped and they are designed for use on the inland waterways so you don't have the hassle of draft or mast height.
Old 02-02-2012, 17:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGyrlBrice View Post
True, building is a long and expensive process for the end result, but it does carry one advantage that is completely non-negotiable in my case.

I can afford a pile of plywood and beams every month. I cannot get financing to buy a boat.
Buying the plywood and beams is a tiny fraction of the cost to build a boat. The big bucks start when you start buying: engine, mast, rigging, sails, pumps, hoses, wiring, anchors, line, winches, lighting.

I first did the math about 35 years ago and the subject has been covered many times on the forum. For 99% of the people building a boat will cost a lot more than buying a used boat to fix up. Their are some who have built boats cheaply but you would have to go extremely minimalist (no engine, kerosene lanterns, etc) AND be a really good scrounger for old, discarded and second hand gear. To do it this way figure it would take twice as long as building a boat the regular way.

And you will still need a really large boat to carry a car, especially across the ocean.

Unless you are a very resourceful, skilled and almost unique individual your plan is not practical. Being a life long day dreamer and optimist I don't say that lightly.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:26   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

This is the typical wharfside sign that you would see in Europe indicating where you could have your car lifted from or returned to your boat....

.....and this is the typical vessel in euope that would be carrying a vehicle.....

This can be done, but the effective use can not be economical for an individual ocean crossing boat. The best economic choice would be to purchase a separate vehicle for the continent where you are located.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Their are some who have built boats cheaply but you would have to go extremely minimalist...
Not only that, but to consider the boat "cheap" they have to place no value on their time. Most, in fact, have a passion for building things and therefore count the building process as half (or more) of the fun. In almost all cases, had they counted their time even just at minimum wage, they would have been money ahead to buy rather than build.

So, to the OP, you want a cheap, big, shallow draft boat that you want to take across an ocean. You don't want to engage the services of a marine architect to design it, or professionals to build it. You want to design and build it yourself. All I can say is, if you actually build this abomination and set out across the deep blue in it, I hope you will not take an EPIRB with you, or any other means of calling for help when the almost inevitable disaster strikes. It is one thing to put yourself at risk. That is your choice. It is a whole different matter to put others at risk by calling for help when you end up in a self-inflicted crisis.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:49   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGyrlBrice View Post
I am actually about to settle for Phil Bolger's Jessie Cooper design. She's a 25' yawl that is built from standard 4x8 ply. That would provide living space and the versatility needs would be met. Also, looking at the plans it looks like she would only need about 40 sheets of ply, which I can actually work into my budget for the time being.
From a boat large enough to carry a car to a 25' plywood yawl? Kind of a big jump, however the same advise applies. Unless you are doing it because you like to build it will cost you more to build AND EQUIP a boat than to buy one. Even used sails will be hundreds. A used mast hundreds. Used plywood is not an option so hundreds there. Rigging, hundreds, engine (a must if you are going inland Europe) hundreds, all the miscelaneous stuff (pumps, lights, etc, etc, etc) more hundreds. If you are down to a 25' boat I have seen them with all the above (but needing some work and TLC) for FREE or at most for the cost of marina storage bills.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote