Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 21:24   #16

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Re: Captain, we have stowaways!

And they like to lay eggs in the joints and folds of cardboard boxes and packets. Dump all unnecessary paper and cardboard containers, paper bags etc. and try to avoid bringing any on-board.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 22:24   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Something about this thread bugs me. Lol
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

In Egypt, Kerosene oil is used to kill ALL bugs; roaches, insects, u name it. It will stink the place for about 2-3 days, but ALL bugs will be gone. Kerosene oil is flammable and toxic if ingested. It is sprayed through holes and passageways. Kerosene should be used as an absolute last resort, short of setting the boat ablaze.

On the other hand, if you have a fungus (mold) problem, a mixture of bleach and formaldehyde (formalin) will do the trick. Nothing can grow in this mixture; 5-10% formaldehyde solution, for a day or two then rinse with a lot of water. Inhaling formaldehyde can cause liver cancer. It is very toxic and has a nauseating smell; limit your exposure time after cleaning the affected surfaces. Plenty of aeration after the cleanup is needed. Good luck!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20   #19

Boat: Gemini 3200

Mix up a paste of boric acid and sweetened condensed milk. Use enough boric acid to make a very stiff paste. Put a 1/2 teaspoon dab of the paste on a small square of aluminum foil. Make about 20 of these and place them in various places where the roaches can find them. Roaches love the sweetened condensed milk, ingest the boric acid, and take it back to the nest where they die and their nestmates ingest the boric acid acid from eating the bodies of their dead relatives. In short order you will be free of cockroaches at a very minimal cost.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:26   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I spent weeks last year dealing with a flea infestation. It took a couple of weeks but many hours of effort, research, Borax and dish washing liquid traps saved the day.

I just thought that was tough.

Bedbugs moved in couple of months ago and it has been a hell of a battle. I don't know that it is over yet. I tried a half dozen of the recommended insecticides plus diatomaceous earth and CO2 but only saw brief respite.

I found myself longing for some DDT. Nothing but the magic dirt offered residual protection. DDT not being readily available, I settled for Malathion.

I followed instruction from an old Dept of Agrculture pamphlet and today treated the boat with Malathion.

It sure would be nice to sleep in my bunk without the lil vampires comin to call.

Time will tell.
Old 14-06-2016, 19:30   #21

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I spent weeks last year dealing with a flea infestation. It took a couple of weeks but many hours of effort, research, Borax and dish washing liquid traps saved the day.

I just thought that was tough.

Bedbugs moved in couple of months ago and it has been a hell of a battle. I don't know that it is over yet. I tried a half dozen of the recommended insecticides plus diatomaceous earth and CO2 but only saw brief respite.

I found myself longing for some DDT. Nothing but the magic dirt offered residual protection. DDT not being readily available, I settled for Malathion.

I followed instruction from an old Dept of Agrculture pamphlet and today treated the boat with Malathion.

It sure would be nice to sleep in my bunk without the lil vampires comin to call.

Time will tell.
Direct sunlight kills bedbugs, hang your bedding out in the sun,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Direct sunlight kills bedbugs, hang your bedding out in the sun,

Were it that simple. Drying the bedding in high heat and treating the closed cell mattress have had little effect.

It is the many inaccessible tiny hiding places that seem to make contact treatment a waste of effort.
Old 15-06-2016, 05:21   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Were it that simple. Drying the bedding in high heat and treating the closed cell mattress have had little effect...
Bed bugs die when their body temperatures reaches about 120°F to 130°F.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:11   #24

I worked in a big hostel in Australia so dealt with a lot of bed bugs. We used to strip the rooms (bedding, curtains and rugs, suitcases and backpacks full of clothes) and freeze them for 24 hours. Not easy to freeze a whole boat but if you can get all the fabrics out and freeze them in a chest freezer it would get all the eggs. They lay the eggs in soft dark places.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 10:05   #25

Clothes, bedding and other fabrics are in CO2 filled plastic bags with a cloth soaked in Neem oil placed inside. They will stay on the dock and in my truck until this is whipped.

My temporary wardrobe is washed and dried along with bed linen every couple of days. I made a set of bright white sheets so that I might spot the teeny buggers at 3 am when they like to feed.
Old 15-06-2016, 11:28   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we learned here that the lil brown nasty roaches come in via eggs in plywood. treat all ply with epoxy to seal it before bringing on board.
they also FLY into your boat from your groceries.
i have all openings now screened.. makes a difference
and YES they bite, and their eggs hatch in 4 days.
days not weeks.
be ready. pyrethrins work for fleas and roaches. remove pets and spray the **** outta your boat and leave traps and fill cracks with bug attracting and killing goo and vacuum a lot. it takes forever to remove all of em.
good luck.
mass murder of insects feels sooo gooood.

oh yes. GEKKOS!!!! LOVE these guys.
is fun to watch em eat a beetle bigger then they are. they make fast work of skeeters and jejenes as well.
awesome pets, as long as cat doesnt kill em all.
bubba seems to have developed a taste for gekko tails.....

vinegar works just fine for molds.. and isnt gonna require ye wear hazmat suits to use.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 13:08   #27

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
In Egypt, Kerosene oil is used to kill ALL bugs; roaches, insects, u name it. It will stink the place for about 2-3 days, but ALL bugs will be gone. Kerosene oil is flammable and toxic if ingested. It is sprayed through holes and passageways. Kerosene should be used as an absolute last resort, short of setting the boat ablaze.

And if the kerosene doesn't kill the bugs the boat will be ready for the match....

TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:25   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We picked up cockroaches in Mexico... We tried all the usual stuff, sprays and cockroach cookies with boric acid/sugar. Nothig seemed to work.

My wife just about earned a PHD during her internet research on cockroaches...

What finally got rid of them was Combat Bait Trays...

Combat Roach & Ant Killing Baits & Gel Products to Get Rid of Bugs

What Lori found was that cockroaches are communial animals, will search out food and then return it to the nest. This is the best way to combat them, short of fumigating your vessel.

So we spread a bunch of those little bait trays around the boat and about a month later no more cockroaches!
We went through the early online masters course- never graduated. Tried the many boric acid approaches. I think the little buggers like that stuff. The Combat gel judiciously placed on known trafficking routes was the ticket. They track it back to their dens of iniquity and share it with the other criminals. Genocide follows in a few days. Then another application to catch any eggs that hatch.
Old 15-06-2016, 22:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Bed bugs die when their body temperatures reaches about 120°F to 130°F.

Has anyone that you know tried this on their boat? I know running sheets in a dryer at that temp is supposed to do the trick.
Old 15-06-2016, 22:59   #30

Boat: CT-47

Not bed bugs but termites.... A friend of mine had them in his boat, tried everything for months but could not get rid of them.
Final solution was to fumigate the whole boat and this was the end of them.
Looking back, he should have fumigated earlier, would have saved quite some money for the damages they caused.
"Vikane" is the stuff used for fumigation, but should be done by professionals only
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain