Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 13:45   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Can 2 people live aboard and just be friends?

I lived with two ex-wives for many years after we were divorced and no longer having sex.

And with one of them together with her ex-husband, both before and after their being married and divorced, total of seven years all working in the same business partnership as well.

And I've also been in poly relationships of various configurations, separate from the two ladies above.

So yes, of course anything is possible, but it all depends on the people involved and their independence from social norms and/or sexuality dominating their emotions/behaviour.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 13:51   #107

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I lived with two ex-wives for many years after we were divorced and no longer having sex.

And with one of them together with her ex-husband, both before and after their being married and divorced, total of seven years all working in the same business partnership as well.

And I've also been in poly relationships of various configurations, separate from the two ladies above.

So yes, of course anything is possible, but it all depends on the people involved and their independence from social norms and/or sexuality dominating their emotions/behaviour.
Being confined in a small sailboat is much different than in a house though. Still possible, but more unlikely.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 11:56   #108

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

It never ceases to amaze me how dark forces continue to deceive and numb the moral convictions of humanity.

This thread has exceeded my limits of involvement with whatever harmlessly intended humor I might inject. I'm by no means innocent, nor do I consider myself any more "Saintly" than any of you here, or any more able to yield to fleshly desires. I simply keep a buffer zone from those things that I know will lead to my destruction, and when I see myself approaching those boundaries, I quickly turn, and flee.

I will pray that God's Mercy and Grace find those in need, as it has found me.

In Love,
Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 13:05   #109
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

LOL nowhere darker than under the shadow of some fundamentalist patriarchy. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Being confined in a small sailboat is much different than in a house though. Still possible, but more unlikely.
Much of that was travelling in a campervan, in tents, a "humpy" (aus for shack), bamboo shack in the rice fields, owner-building an adobe house in the desert, traveling on the cheap through Europe, and yes a bit of sailing in the Caribbean. Maybe two years out of the twenty in what most would call civilization.

Three lots of kids raised as well, fine upstanding productive citizens all too, I might add.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 13:31   #110
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

We all know what "aboard" means but the key here is yours and her definitions of the word "living".
Old 06-08-2017, 13:32   #111

Anyone have any idea how farmers get animals to mate?

It's really pretty simple, you put them in a small enclosed space. If they don't kill each other, nature takes it's course.

Now humans have self control but without superhuman willpower, it works pretty similarly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 13:39   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post
Ok, here's the thing. I have been working for a few years to find the right boat for me and my ex-gf/ex-fiancee (currently just friends, not even the best of) to live on and cruise the US coast and down to the caribbean/bahamas. I think I found the boat, and she agrees that it checks alot of the right boxes. She has been told by a relative whose friend has a sailboat that yearly costs to maintain a sailboat could equal or exceed 50k which is about what the boat costs (40' 1983 Bayfield). I have told her that yearly averages are equal to or less than half that to even live in a bit of luxury.

My question to you guys/gals is, Can two people who used to be together live on a 40' sailboat as just friends? and work together on cruising videos for youtube/patreon?
Nope, not even remotely close for yearly maintenance. I would say less than $5k easy. That assumes you start out in good shape though.
But buy carefully, getting the boat ready for cruising can be very expensive if it's not currently ready.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 17:05   #113

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

[QUOTE=john61ct;2450573]LOL nowhere darker than under the shadow of some fundamentalist patriarchy. . .

LOL boy, isn't that the truth!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply