Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 18:21   #46

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: CALIFORNIANS: Where are you buying alcohol for your alcohol stove now?

Sounds like you should keep your current stove. My last boat had a kerosene stove......had to rent a scooter and drive miles to HD on a cruise a few years back. Don't think they sell it at all anymore. Moved to CNG on that boat, as i didn't want to chop it all up to install a propane locker. Only 2 places in the northeast carried it - brewers, and the folks who sold cng gear in Newport. Ive got propane now, and love the fact that i can get fuel ANYWHERE, worldwide

Matt
Old 20-01-2020, 19:19   #47

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Anywho, the only "certainty" I have is that merchants in San Diego are no longer carrying the stuff and when asked why they all said it was "banned" and/or was because of "prop 65." So, banned or not, or prop 65 or not - bottom line is that the stuff isn't available here like it was a month or two ago.
But in FACT, the bottom line is that whoever told you that was talking out of their a$$, because neither are true. Also, IIRC, there are at least six or seven other states that have similar VOC restrictions on applicable SOLVENTS, so it's not just a "loony California" legislative thing.
And in every one of those cases, the restriction DOES NOT apply to fuels.

Now, don't get me wrong, there ARE a lot of regs and laws in California that ARE loony, in my view, but again, most of the other leftist controlled states have the same laws, or worse.
Old 21-01-2020, 12:06   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
But in FACT, the bottom line is that whoever told you that was talking out of their a$$, because neither are true. Also, IIRC, there are at least six or seven other states that have similar VOC restrictions on applicable SOLVENTS, so it's not just a "loony California" legislative thing.
And in every one of those cases, the restriction DOES NOT apply to fuels.

Now, don't get me wrong, there ARE a lot of regs and laws in California that ARE loony, in my view, but again, most of the other leftist controlled states have the same laws, or worse.
First off thanks for reinforcing the idea that perhaps stock boys aren't the best definitive source for learning about a state's environmental laws!

I would point out that no political group has the monopoly on looney laws. When I went to flight school in ruby red Santa Rosa county in the Florida panhandle they did ban the sale of alcohol for real. Not rubbing alcohol. And not beer, feel free to buy a case and raise heck and ruin your liver all you want. But lord help you if you wanted to have a glass of wine with dinner, because the sale of wine was absolutely banned in the county. I won't venture a description as to the motivations behind that law, but I guarantee it wasn't a good faith, if possibly misdirected, effort to reduce the 30,000 early deaths from air pollution like the VOC restrictions!
Luckily the base was federal land so the ban didn't apply there and I think they rescinded it eventually, although I know there are still plenty of so called "dry" counties in the country. As I've said over and over, all the "government tyranny" I've experienced that actually personally impacted me happens at the local level and no party has a lock on looney.
Old 22-01-2020, 15:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
(snip) As I've said over and over, all the "government tyranny" I've experienced that actually personally impacted me happens at the local level and no party has a lock on looney.
Amen to that!
Old 22-01-2020, 17:00   #50

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

There is a senile electrician has a Catalina 30 in Ventura.
Old 24-01-2020, 08:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Sounds like you should keep your current stove. ...
Ive got propane now, and love the fact that i can get fuel ANYWHERE, worldwide

Matt
So long as you have all the different bottle adaptors for each country!
Old 24-01-2020, 08:36   #52

Boat: Endeavour 32

Governor Newsom wants to pass a law that makes exhaling illegal due to all the CO2 emissions. I’m sure our state legislators will go a long with it.
Old 24-01-2020, 09:09   #53

Try West Marine.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafi...ol--P000129926
Old 24-01-2020, 09:35   #54

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I first came to California in 1964, at that time the air pollution was so bad that you could not see from one stop light to the next on Wilshire Blvd. Now you can see the mountains from Santa Monica, as far as I am concerned that’s a good thing.
There is more to caring for our environment than simply having “clean air and water” just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t harmful. I cannot believe that people can still deny the evidence of their own eyes in regards to global warming. It is so obvious everywhere you look: when I was a kid in the 1960’s we used to skate on the lakes and ponds for weeks every winter, now the last time it froze that hard was the late 1990’s.
Old 24-01-2020, 10:17   #55

Boat: Freedom 38

And water pollution used to be so bad that people would try to hold their breath while driving over the new Golden Gate Bridge.
Old 24-01-2020, 10:56   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compactorguy View Post
Governor Newsom wants to pass a law that makes exhaling illegal due to all the CO2 emissions. I’m sure our state legislators will go a long with it.
I'm sure that's a real knee slapper somewhere, but not sure what it contributes to this conversation? Painting those who disagree with you politically as moronic idiots by making up positions they don't actually hold isn't how mature, intellectually honest adults interact with one another.
Old 24-01-2020, 11:04   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I first came to California in 1964, at that time the air pollution was so bad that you could not see from one stop light to the next on Wilshire Blvd. Now you can see the mountains from Santa Monica, as far as I am concerned that’s a good thing.
Hmmm. Personally, I came to California in the late '50s. I was born in Hollywood, grew up there, and aside from my time in the Army I've been here all my life. The description you gave above is just not true. Even on Smog Alert days, I could see for miles down Wilshire, Western, or any of the other long, straight streets. For those who've never been here is up to eight lanes wide in several places, and in many the next stop light is a hundred yards or less.

When one leads their post with obvious gross exaggeration, most thinking people will tend to discount the rest of it.

As to "global warming," most people are using the term "climate change" these days. Of course, climate change is real, and always has been, as the climate of this planet has been changing continuously for as long as the planet has had an atmosphere. There have been measurable changes in the atmospheres of other planets in our solar system, which arguably have no human intervention.

And speaking of humans, scientists who actually quantify the makeup of the atmosphere and so-called greenhouse gasses will tell you that the single biggest component is CO2, and the largest contributor to CO2 in the atmosphere is Human respiration, and the world population increasing six-fold since the beginning of the industrial revolution.
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, cal, california, stove