Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 11:16   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: cabin Flooring / sole whats the best surface? Opinions please.

Our galley and head floors are Amtico synthetic "oak". Seem to work, not particularly slippery, easy to care for.

That said, we made templates and then cover those floors with Corinthian outdoor carpet, the one for boats they have with AquaLock backing and Sunbrella binding... same stuff we have in the cockpit and our our flying bridge. I needed the extra cushioning, and cleaning is by simply hosing it off with a power washer. That particular backing is important; our original OEM outdoor carpets were made with some kind of black rubber (?) backing, it peeled, and I've still got marks in the non-skid fiberglass from that... 10 years after replacing... whereas the AquaLock still looks like new after those 10 years.

-Chris
Old 05-07-2019, 07:17   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Nothing more striking, than a teak and holly sole, and with a nice varnish job, you can definitely tell the difference between real and synthetic.

we would use vinegar and water to shammy the soles and it would leave the sole squeeky and gripping your topsiders.

But there is also nothing more ‘old boat’ than teak and holly. I’m not a huge fan but the alternatives are few and far between, or stupidly expensive.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:29   #33

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
my bamboo floor is glued down, previous owner did or rather had it done; will make some pics when I next on my boat.
Bamboo flooring, installation exactly the same as timber, but the benefit is the light colour.
As promised, here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190705_16_08_26_Raw.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	195405  
Old 08-07-2019, 07:56   #34

We used a heavy diamond tread rubber floor roll mat in CIC on a USN war ship. It lasted for years in a 24 X 7 operating environment. 15 KV electrically insulated, very heavy, flack resistant, expensive, fire resistant, cleaned with Comet and a brush. City transit buses universally use a roll rubber mat in their bus floors. Generally it is glued down to treated marine plywood or a synthetic substrate. Industrial stuff more suited for a tug boat but it is available.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58   #35

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If you want carpeting, take a look at commercial trade-show carpet squares. 5/8" thick (1/2" rubber + 1/8" pile), sound absorbing, easy to cut to fit, no fraying, waterproof, if you spill something, just take up one square, wash with soap and water and put it back down. get them at https://www.greatmats.com/products/i...ing-carpet.php We have the dark gray - the interlocking is not noticeable.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18   #36

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
We used a heavy diamond tread rubber floor roll mat in CIC on a USN war ship. It lasted for years in a 24 X 7 operating environment. 15 KV electrically insulated, very heavy, flack resistant, expensive, fire resistant, cleaned with Comet and a brush. City transit buses universally use a roll rubber mat in their bus floors. Generally it is glued down to treated marine plywood or a synthetic substrate. Industrial stuff more suited for a tug boat but it is available.
Yes...Ive considered that... Lonseal make a product that you describe. I was thinking of the COIN version... quarter sized dots....

https://lonseal.com/products/
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:43   #37

Carpet with bound edges and snaps placed in strategic places to prevent movement. Easy to remove and take outside for cleaning.
wing15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50   #38

Boat: Russell Marine - Islander 23

Carpet tiles. Easy to cut to size. Cheap enough to swap them out if they get too grubby or something nasty gets spilt on them. Alternatively you can just take them out to give them a good clean.
MarkCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50   #39

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

For those wanting to match teak with a 100% synthetic, this flooring is regularly on sale at Home Depot. The white lines are the tongue & groove on either side of the flooring plank for assembling. Also, this is a thicker panel which makes assembly easier. I use a little PVC cement to glue them together.

Against the bulkhead to show how close they match.

Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55   #40

Boat: Watkins 29

Im not sure I would want that on a sailboat. I think I'd want something permanently fastened to the deck when the boat is heeled over beating to weather... But then again.... Gentlemen don't beat to weather or so they say!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 18:39   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

practical sailor did a test on interior varnishes for soles, they tested for slipperiness and they liked Ultimate sole, which I used on my last boat, came out glossy and beautiful and not slippery at all wet or dry, loved it.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:38   #42

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We made our cabin sole with 5/8” ply and 3/8” teak epoxy-glued on top
UNVARNISHED
It is a lot of work but results in a non skid surface which still looks good if dented by a heavy tool etc
As an aside, if making a new sole, make as near to 100% as possible in the form of hatches opening on hinges
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:49   #43

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing15601 View Post
Carpet with bound edges and snaps placed in strategic places to prevent movement. Easy to remove and take outside for cleaning.

We didn't even bother with snaps; the carpet is captured on most sides, can't go anywhere.. the carpet is a bit heavy by itself... and the AquaLock backing doesn't slide around.

-Chris
Old 09-07-2019, 07:14   #44

Boat: Privilege 435

Very happy with my teak and holly Amtico flooring. It cost around $1,100 for the main cabin and stairs. I've had it down for several years and despite some heavy construction going on around it, it has never chipped, faded or scratched. Its super easy to install and requires no skill. If only my expensive outdoor stuff was as good.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	195605
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01   #45

Boat: Gulf 32

I don't usually post but to many expensive and not very practical ideas. I purchased two boxes of 1/2 inch bamboo flooring at Lowes, it is tongue and groove and if fitted by someone like me (anal perfectionist) no need to glue down. Has been in place for 6 to 7 years and in some very nasty conditions, in fact the only thing that was not thrown about in a 5 day beating was the floor. no finishes added, clean with whatever mild product. The first picture is the bottom of a outside piece below the stove, dremel tool to make it fit to the curve of the floor. the sun is shining today, so it may or may not show the natural beauty of bamboo wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190709_113320.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	195618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_113638.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	195619  

Tags
flooring, lease, cabin