Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 06:49   #16

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Re: Buy outboard or buy better-rowing dinghy?

Get the Resolute, keep Misha in business!

If you had the room and the budget, a ten foot Trinka would be great. I had an 8 foot years ago and I loved that boat. My 6'8" companion would not fit well in it, unfortunately. It was a bit tippy, but rowed like a dream. I want a ten footer but have settled for a folding kayak and a RIB with a folding transom.

Just be very careful with the used outboard. Make them run it for a good ten minutes at least. Ethanol is just making a mess out of small outboards. I have one in my garage I could start up for a potential buyer, but it won't run for more than a couple of minutes. I need to change out every bit of hose/rubber on that thing.

Ever true! And delighted you are living the dream. I did it in my early 30s (over 20 years ago now) and am so glad I did. Now I'm planning to go again in a couple of years.

- b

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 09:52   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Suijin, can you explain your process a bit more for the engineering-challenged?
As I understand, you pole it out with the Pvc pipe which is roughly 5' long, attaching the line to the bow ring. You then lift it vertically and rotate it on deck, at which point the open part of the dinghy is facing the mast. What's the easy way to then unclip it, bring it against the mast, and spin it 180 degrees? The other thing I wrestle with is once I get it to the mast, the wind starts to try to blow it side to side, then I have to force it back. I've started just hauling heavily on the block and clearing it off, then with the dinghy spinning freely, using some light line to secure it in place before I lower it. But if there is a faster way ...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The pole I mentioned is actually usually used to pole the dinghy out alongside the boat when I just have it lifted at anchor to keep the bottom from fouling. When I'm using it to lift the dinghy solo, the near end goes on the spinnaker track car and I raise it, clip the other end on the halyard, and throw a couple of guy lines on. Raise the halyard, swing the dinghy over the deck, then lower the pole car, maneuver the dinghy into position and lower it onto the deck.

It's going to be tough no matter how you do it if the wind is up. I generally only put the dink on deck for passage making so it's not something I have to do day in and day out.

A kayak would be the most pleasant form of transportation if storage is not an issue and the water is not too rough. I love mine. It's more fun than rowing a RIB, that's for damn sure.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 16:46   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Pull hard not out, go Brown go! Resolutes seem to be increasingly taking over the racing scene, and for good reasons, so I doubt Misha needs my help! Good to know you went at the same age as me and came back, Cuttyhunk, it's always good to hear it's been done before and life goes on
Thanks for the further description Suijin, I think I've got it now. I'll tow it through the Bahamas, for sure. I was sea trialing during the northers on the gulf coast in Florida so had to lift it every day due to the waves. Hopefully won't have to do it again after the Bahamas run!

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:58   #19

Boat: Ferrocement, Cutter 40'

If you want to keep rowing full time I would suggest a pea-pod.

My twelve and sixteen foot pea-pod out for an adventure
hubertstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 23:19   #20

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Danny green chamilian (sp). Built one in equator. Motors 6 knots on 3.5 hp with family of 3. Rows better than it motors, sails better than it rows. We love our chamilian. If I did it again I would vacuum bag it and use corosil. Some kids built a shortened version next to ours with no dagger trunk. Not even as fun. If you need to repair it just epoxy glad and wood. No bazaar patch kits. I once caught a 5 ft. Cravalle while under sail dragging a line from an or lock in the Panamanian perles islands. Felt like the old man and the sea re-enacted.

akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 23:25   #21

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1426400678.320619.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	98883

akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 01:03   #22

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Dan, if money and size weren't an issue, I'd vote for a pulling boat such as a Whitehall or Ducktrap wherry. The shortest ones I know of are 14 feet long, but they weigh less than 100 lbs, and God do they move! My next choice would be a 10' Puffin.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 02:45   #23

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
I now have a line on a cheap outboard, a cheap portabote, and a cheap kayak. Decisions, decisions!

I do so love rowing a decent boat though. Definitely have the worst of all choices right now with the rowable inflatable.

It's really early in the morning here but I just wanted to send you a quick note. kayaks can be very wet. Are hard to set anchors with or haul water. My choice would be for a fiberglass dinghy that rows very well and also can handle at least a 6 horsepower outboard.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:00   #24

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks for the additional advice! It's becoming clear that I'm just going to have to get a bigger boat
I have been wanting to build a dinghy to try my hand at stitch and glue, so I may give that a try when I'm back in Maryland. Will definitely take a look at these models then. May even build a really long one just for fun!
Jacques-with those models built for towing, what is the wave or conditions limit in which you would no longer pull them? That size is a dream for now, of course, but from crew, length plus light weight equals speed! It would be great to put a seat on rollers in those and really bring the force to bear!

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:24   #25

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I have been looking at tenders and have moved towards a porta-bote or a nesting dinghy. If you are in Florida, check out Ebay or Craigslist. I found several used porta-botes near your location. Older models but they are hardy hulls with some seat/transom issues - easily remedied.

I am looking at a few nesting dinghy options. Not any ready made ones around but several kits and also some plans to be had. The longer ones are quite good rowers! Many come ready for motors and/or sailing rigs.
Old 15-03-2015, 05:35   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I have been doing a lot of research on this for my family.

For durability and rowability I prefer a solid boat. Even if we have a motor, I want to be able to row the boat fair distances in marginal conditions as a matter of safety.

Since I want to store the boat on the cabin top, not the foredeck that means a nesting dinghy. After lots of research I've come to feel the B&B dinghies or the Chameleon (someone else has also suggested this design) are the best bet. For a single person with an occasional guest I would go with the shortest B&B which would fit on smaller boats and be the lightest and smallest to store on small motherships.

In the OP's case he wants to go to weather in 15-20kt and has a desire to avoid FL registration. Two thoughts on this:

1) I assume a sailing rig would avoid registration requirements. It would also push you to weather reasonably well and I have always found the need to tack upwind leads to a drier boat, you are taking the waves from a better direction and since you are facing forward and can see the waves coming can steer thru them much better than when rowing.

2) An electric trolling motor might be a way to motorize without running afoul of registration requirements. That would be require some research. The trade off would be better speed than rowing but not quite as good as a gasoline motor. Cheaper to acquire and fuel (assuming you have solar panels on the boat. Limited range. Rowing and motoring at the same time would increase both speed and range (like motor sailing.) I expect you could cut your travel time considerably you sailing while at the same time drastically reducing the effort required in such conditions.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:40   #27

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
I have been wanting to build a dinghy to try my hand at stitch and glue, so I may give that a try when I'm back in Maryland.
Check out Chesapeake Lightcraft kits if you are thinking of building. They have some beautiful pulling boats that will meet your needs. The kits are CNC cut, come with absolutely everything you need to build, and the price is right. Also, they are in Maryland.
Old 15-03-2015, 12:06   #28

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Thanks for the additional advice! It's becoming clear that I'm just going to have to get a bigger boat
I have been wanting to build a dinghy to try my hand at stitch and glue, so I may give that a try when I'm back in Maryland. Will definitely take a look at these models then. May even build a really long one just for fun!
Jacques-with those models built for towing, what is the wave or conditions limit in which you would no longer pull them? That size is a dream for now, of course, but from crew, length plus light weight equals speed! It would be great to put a seat on rollers in those and really bring the force to bear!

I don't know the first thing about these boats, and I've never even seen one, but when I saw the pictures of the one towed behind the boat I bought, I fell in love with it, so I Googled it to death, and unless I find a used one at a reasonable price in the short term, I plan to build one myself within the next few years.

If you're really up to building your own, look at the glued lapstrake designs from Ducktrap. From what I've read, they're super light, super fast, and (like most wherries) designed to be launched from shore in moderate surf, so they should keep you relatively dry when rowing in a moderate chop.

Newbuilts usually run for upwards of $14,000. Materials end up costing around $ 3,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0357.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	98901  
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 15:24   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

In my limited experience of reality it is not uncommon to need to travel a fair sort of distance from an anchored boat.

Rowing that sort of distance is going to need a quality dinghy (read heavy and expensive) not to mention a fit healthy rower.

So my minimum option is the small outboard. However my experience suggests that option 7) the largest outboard for which the inflatable is rated is the way to go.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 16:33   #30

I can never understand why the options are kayak or dinghy. Canoe is where it's at for me. I've carried the same $250, 14' Coleman on my port side for my last 2 sailboats, and think it's the cats meow. If single you paddle entirely with your core and can cover some serious ground, you can really cook with two.

The cargo capacity is huge for groceries and gear, a little small for passengers, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 3 adults in it.

A couple of years ago I had a friend ask if it would handle seas, so I carried the boat on my own 500 yards or so to the beach and spent the next 2-3 hours playing inthe beach break (3-4 feet), I could handle her perfectly, only swamped her when I played with how long I could station keep beam to the surf, the boat didn't sink or capsize.

One downside is you have to stick with a smallish canoe because of windage and deck space, but the smallest canoe will carry more stuff then a good sized kayak.

Can any one tell me why canoes are never considered for person powered tenders in the cruising community?

Or os it just such a stereotypical Canadian question that it just doesn't make sense to any one else?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard