Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 15:15   #106

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
The crazy thing is that 7:1 house price vs household income is not that outrageous in Australia, and most don't believe there's an issue.
The lenders should really tighten up their qualifications. My wife alone, on her VA disability from service connected injuries, pre-qualified for $359k. That's way too much, lenders obviously don't care if you lose your house to them. Some people can't help but buy as much house as they can, or really can't, afford.

Thankfully, we are not those people and our ratio comes in at 1.4:1.
Old 01-05-2019, 15:47   #107

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Is cruising about worrying over a budget?

In retirement?
No, BUT most cruisers need to operate to a budget and worry often is part of that, few cruise on no money.

I'm 50 and haven't worked for ten years, part of the reason I've been able to do this is due to the thought I've put into money over the years. This thinking about money I hope will enable me to stay retired.

There's never a day I don't reflect on my financial situation, it's part of my cruising life.
Old 01-05-2019, 16:42   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
The lenders should really tighten up their qualifications. My wife alone, on her VA disability from service connected injuries, pre-qualified for $359k. That's way too much, lenders obviously don't care if you lose your house to them. Some people can't help but buy as much house as they can, or really can't, afford.

Thankfully, we are not those people and our ratio comes in at 1.4:1.

There's also an issue with downpayments. One of the problems in 2008 was not requiring a 20% downpayment, so people can walk away if the value goes down to much.

I don't think they fixed that, though. The industry doesn't want them to.
Old 01-05-2019, 21:16   #109

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
No, BUT most cruisers need to operate to a budget and worry often is part of that, few cruise on no money.

I'm 50 and haven't worked for ten years, part of the reason I've been able to do this is due to the thought I've put into money over the years. This thinking about money I hope will enable me to stay retired.

There's never a day I don't reflect on my financial situation, it's part of my cruising life.
Lol. I have similar PTSD from owning my businesses. First thing in the morning run through all the accounts online to check balances.

While right now there's a 1% chance of a problem, when I first started and things where ultra tight it mattered what went in and out every day.
Old 01-05-2019, 21:52   #110

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The mortgage industry hasn't recovered from 2008. The is still a huge amount of delinquent loans that are way upside down. They can't afford to write them all off and selling them at auction drives prices down further.
Old 01-05-2019, 23:53   #111

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I bet if you look at my monthly expensive spreadsheet and convert it to your $$ and go to a location price cost index you could get a pretty close number
I'll do that in reality soon, but honestly, the differences in living costs between Australia and North America are, from my observations, extraordinary.

In both directions, but mainly more expensive in Oz.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:09   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I'll do that in reality soon, but honestly, the differences in living costs between Australia and North America are, from my observations, extraordinary.

In both directions, but mainly more expensive in Oz.
I've cruised australia (I'm Australian) and have been cruising internationally for years. Cruising abroad or at home costs approx the same. Yes many countries are cheaper than Australia but there are expenses I now have that I don't at home, eg land travel while abroad, flights home, greater boat expenses as Sukha does more miles and I often have to fly stuff in.

Surprisingly my costs as a total are similar to SB's when conversion rate is applied ie 50k aud/year. The Aud is sinking which isn't helping and unfortunately looks like it will continue to tank.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:20   #113

Quote:
I've cruised australia (I'm Australian) and have been cruising internationally for years. Cruising abroad or at home costs approx the same. Yes many countries are cheaper than Australia but there are expenses I now have that I don't at home, eg land travel while abroad, flights home, greater boat expenses as Sukha does more miles and I often have to fly stuff in.

Surprisingly my costs as a total are similar to SB's when conversion rate is applied ie 50k aud/year. The Aud is sinking which isn't helping and unfortunately looks like it will continue to tank.
We've been boatless for a bit (work side tracking us) but in the mean time we've been living for a month or two in a variety of countries between work stints.

We've found if you keep your lifestyle similar, it doesn't matter much were you are...the cost is about the same. Certain things may be more or less but the overall is pretty close to the same. This is in both 1st and 3rd world nations.

Where you can save money is living like the locals in a 3rd world nation...but you better check it out before committing and make sure you are good with that lifestyle. This isn't all bad news. If you can find a location where living like the locals suits you, you can save money but make sure the first priority is that it suits you. We've met some really sad people who made the leap based on cost and now don't have enough to get out of the situation.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:26   #114

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

Some places yes, others no.

I find it hard to believe that our costs in say, Thailand will be as high as Australia when diesel is 50% of Australia's cost and yard labour is $30/day vs $500+
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We've been boatless for a bit (work side tracking us) but in the mean time we've been living for a month or two in a variety of countries between work stints.

We've found if you keep your lifestyle similar, it doesn't matter much were you are...the cost is about the same. Certain things may be more or less but the overall is pretty close to the same. This is in both 1st and 3rd world nations.

Where you can save money is living like the locals in a 3rd world nation...but you better check it out before committing and make sure you are good with that lifestyle. This isn't all bad news. If you can find a location where living like the locals suits you, you can save money but make sure the first priority is that it suits you. We've met some really sad people who made the leap based on cost and now don't have enough to get out of the situation.
It's all about choices. I have a young family on a Great Dane 28 next to me at the moment, on the other side of them I have friends on a Amel 54. The guys on the Amel and myself dropped more on our boats while in Capetown than the Great Dane is worth. We also spend significantly on Land travel while in Africa where as the young family don't.

Although I try to do everything as cheap as possible the reality is it still costs, cruisers like the ones beside me just don't spend money on anything but essentials.

I need to hang out with the guys on the great Dane and not my friends on the Amel, life would become cheaper for me.. Lol.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:39   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Some places yes, others no.

I find it hard to believe that our costs in say, Thailand will be as high as Australia when diesel is 50% of Australia's cost and yard labour is $30/day vs $500+
I spent alot of time in Asia including Thailand. I spent about the same there as else where. Yard costs aren't as cheap as they used to be although better than Oz. You have to shop around and get quotes, I'd you use the the guys at East Marine to do work you will bleed money, but if you use the blue or orange shirt guys (I can't remember names) it's not to bad. Marina prices have gone up over the years.

What I find changes is your lifestyle. Eg I spent no more in the Seychelles although the Seychelles than I did Thailand although the Seychelles is expensive BUT I hardly ate out in the Seychelles as the food was expensive and very average where in Thailand the food is great and cheap. I don't use enough fuel to make a big difference to my expenses.

If you live a simple life the differences aren't great.

BTW I miss Thailand.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:00   #117

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
I spent alot of time in Asia including Thailand. I spent about the same there as else where. Yard costs aren't as cheap as they used to be although better than Oz. You have to shop around and get quotes, I'd you use the the guys at East Marine to do work you will bleed money, but if you use the blue or orange shirt guys (I can't remember names) it's not to bad. Marina prices have gone up over the years.

Hang around in western tourist areas, pay western tourist prices
Head out of tourist areas and pay a lot less
$44 a day for painters here as an example.
l ::: Phithak Shipyard and Services :: Satun Thailand

Up until a few years ago we'd spend 4 months a year in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia.
We stayed outside of tourist areas, ate local but always rented nice apartments and private pool villas, far nicer than what we have in Australia.
We could do this and live very well for about 1/3rd of the cost of Australia, sometimes even less and that was short term rental.
Long term rental and a bit more experience on the ground I reckon we'd do better again.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:28   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Location does affect costs.
We are in the Bahamas this year, and it’s expensive here, but our costs are way less than I expected. We have saved a lot of money, but most of that is due to cruising, as opposed to Marina life with an automobile.
Next year I hope to go down Mexico way, and I hope for us to be able to eat out pretty much everyday there and it not cost much. Two hamburgers etc and cokes are on average $50 in the Bahamas. Eating out is what the Wife likes, I don’t as I don’t think it’s as healthy, but I don’t cook either,so.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:00   #119

When you have big budgets you spend big no matter where you are. When you have small budgets you spend small no matter where you are at. People that are used to spending big simply don’t relate to spending small, just the way it works. They have larger, newer, more complex boats to begin with. They do little of their own maintenance and eat out at fine restaurants and think nothing of spending long periods in expensive marinas. Never take advice from these folks on saving money while cruising because they really don’t have a clue. Often they will have their boat “transported” rather than actually cross an ocean by them selves, they live in different worlds however they also usually really enjoy the cruising lifestyle. A big spender on the land doesn’t turn into a penny pincher when they decide to go cruising and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We made friends with a young Brazilian couple years ago in the Marshall Islands who had built their own steel 24 ft sailboat and were cruising on $500 bucks a month and always had money left over at the end of each month. We could not do that the way we were set up but it was nothing for them. Two different budgets, two different mindsets, simple as that.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:08   #120
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
When you have big budgets you spend big no matter where you are. When you have small budgets you spend small no matter where you are at. People that are used to spending big simply don’t relate to spending small, just the way it works. They have larger, newer, more complex boats to begin with. They do little of their own maintenance and eat out at fine restaurants and think nothing of spending long periods in expensive marinas. Never take advice from these folks on saving money while cruising because they really don’t have a clue. Often they will have their boat “transported” rather than actually cross an ocean by them selves, they live in different worlds however they also usually really enjoy the cruising lifestyle. A big spender on the land doesn’t turn into a penny pincher when they decide to go cruising and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We made friends with a young Brazilian couple years ago in the Marshall Islands who had built their own steel 24 ft sailboat and were cruising on $500 bucks a month and always had money left over at the end of each month. We could not do that the way we were set up but it was nothing for them. Two different budgets, two different mindsets, simple as that.
I’m guessing when you wrote that.... you forgot about me. I get by just peachy on about €15 euros per day.
Closed Thread

Tags
budget