Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 06:55   #211

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Your response to my post is the reason why I generally don’t waste my time on these finance or budget threads.

Our method has worked out well for us, his method works well for him. I’m just surprised he still puts up with all the bovine excrement every month from the naysayers.
You post a meaningless budget number and when it is pointed out you post about why you don't post on budget threads.

What value is your claim that you cruise on 15euros day on your Oysters to any reader? Anyone with any insight to cruising knows that the costs are far, far higher. Or is that BS too?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:28   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Your response to my post is the reason why I generally don’t waste my time on these finance or budget threads.

Our method has worked out well for us, his method works well for him. I’m just surprised he still puts up with all the bovine excrement every month from the naysayers.

Ken,
With respect, your a part time cruiser who has a home and a job to return to when not cruising.
Your cruising is a vacation, one well deserved, I’m surely not discounting that.
In your mind you wrote off such expenses as insuring a half million dollar boat, or two, upkeep and storage expenses, and just cover them out of your income as to you it’s worth it, nothing wrong with that.
To a smaller extent I do the same, as I have a Daughter in College and still store a lot of furniture etc., and in my mind I don’t count them as living expenses, I just cover them with my income. But they are in fact expenses, just not “cruising” expenses.

However to say that you cruise on just the amount of money you spend on food and fuel is misleading to people who may actually believe or want to believe it can be done for that.

Not asking you to disclose your actual expenses, I don’t disclose mine.
In my case it’s because I don’t know what they are really, I tailor our expenses to spend 2/3’s of our income and save the rest for a rainy day, like when the Insurence bill comes due or we need a bottom job or something breaks etc.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:26   #213
CLOD

Boat: none

Not really hard to track expenses. I don't keep track during the day except for the few times when I pay cash for something. I do all my expense breakdown each month based on the charges on my credit card.

And yes I did it pretty much the same way in the Bahamas as the "fee" to use a credit card was mostly offset by the cash back the credit card got each month.

Just saying that it isn't much trouble to keep track and it's not like I don't have lots of free time.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:38   #214

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t track our expenses, but my spouse does … to the penny. I’m more of a big picture kinda guy, while she likes to know all the details. But I have a pretty good idea of where our money goes, mainly b/c we don’t have a lot to spend .

I do our taxes though … every year . So I’m forced to get into our fiscal weeds annually. So far, we’re solvent .
Old 04-05-2019, 10:07   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gee looks like everyone wants to be a $500/month cruiser. I enjoyed that lifestyle for more then a few years. Well ok, enjoy might not be the best word...

Heck, some months were $350/month as that's all the income I had that month. I even looked into eatable plants, if my income got skinnier. Bullrush stew anyone....

That does get a bit tight at that level. Not recomended, but it's sort of doable, if nothing breaks.

Of course, I'm liv'n high on the hog with my social security retirement. Much easier. Though It's taken me a year to get caught up with, cough, defered items, like clothes, shoes, new batteries, etc. Oh I still live very simply, but now I'm doing fine and think $800-$1000 a month is pretty sweet. Above that goes in the rainy day fund.

As for investments, My total life savings the day before my first ss check, was $20. ok plus a now 47 year old sailboat. But then again I've been enjoying that boating thingy since 2003. Not a bad life.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:16   #216

Boat: Bristol 27

So, the sad thing is we have a couple newbie sailors sharing their cruising costs.

One paid over $100,000 for a sailboat to cruise the ICW and sail over to the Bahamas while the other spent over $70,000 on a refit to do the same thing and that is great that they could do that. I'm happy for them if that is/was their dream, but......

There are less expensive ways and you don't have to be a big money maker, expert investor, or stuck on the boat all the time.

I just came back from this years Spring 50 mile shake down cruise on my $2,000 boat. (I took off 4 hours from work to do this on Friday) Yes, after 8 years I went ahead and blew a lot of money on my boat so I'm now at $12,500 spent on new outboard, new mainsail, new dodger and mainsail cover, solar, inverters, outboard brackets, autopilots, paint, etc

I had good wind when I awoke at 0540 (it's hard to sleep on a boat when you don't do it regularly) so I pulled the anchor immediately, raised the sails, set the autopilot …….then went about making coffee etc as I rounded a shoal having to sail North to do that then headed back the 24 miles South. Luckily the wind was at about 12-15 on a close reach and I made it back in 5 hours against the tide mostly

The point is if you live near a large lake or on the coast you can be enjoying sailing/cruising at a very low cost and do not have to be an investing expert (during the good times) or make tons of money to do it

Btw, I've been enjoying the boating thingy since 1972 and paid $300.00 for my first boat, motor, and trailer which was a 16' Chincoteague Scow with a plywood bottom that visibly flexed every time you hit a wave.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:30   #217
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ken,
With respect, your a part time cruiser who has a home and a job to return to when not cruising.
Your cruising is a vacation, one well deserved, I’m surely not discounting that.
In your mind you wrote off such expenses as insuring a half million dollar boat, or two, upkeep and storage expenses, and just cover them out of your income as to you it’s worth it, nothing wrong with that.
To a smaller extent I do the same, as I have a Daughter in College and still store a lot of furniture etc., and in my mind I don’t count them as living expenses, I just cover them with my income. But they are in fact expenses, just not “cruising” expenses.

However to say that you cruise on just the amount of money you spend on food and fuel is misleading to people who may actually believe or want to believe it can be done for that.

Not asking you to disclose your actual expenses, I don’t disclose mine.
In my case it’s because I don’t know what they are really, I tailor our expenses to spend 2/3’s of our income and save the rest for a rainy day, like when the Insurence bill comes due or we need a bottom job or something breaks etc.
So.... even though I live on a boat 9 months out of each year (3/4 of the year), but have retained the ability to work three months if I choose to do so to pay for capital improvement expenses... I'm now considered a "part-time cruiser" or "vacation[er]" by the CF budget experts? Interesting.

Oh well... I guess my "vacation" begins in one more week.

Maybe I'll even bump into some of you in the Med or Caribbean on one of my "well-deserved" "vacations" sometime later this year, but you'll need to be looking for me in the beautiful scenic anchorages, because I like to keep my daily expenditures under 15 euros per day.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:59   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Budget Be Damned

Well to be honest Ken, I thought it was more like 6 months on and 6 months off.
But yes, I’d say anyone that lives in a land house part of the time and works to be a part timer.
Nothing wrong with that, there is no real definition of “Cruiser”. To some it’s spending Winter months on the boat in a Marina in Fl and going back home the rest to the time.
To some a big trip, the life’s dream it’s a trip to the Bahamas or maybe up and down the ICW.
To some, I guess it’s that beach Cat
Others do Circumnavigations , multiple times.
Some even go below the roaring 40’s. I think they are crazy, but what I think matters only to me.

In my opinion the only thing that makes a Cruiser a Cruiser is the boat is a means to travel, doesn’t really matter how far, but it was bought to go places in, as opposed to a weekend retreat or a place to live in that doesn’t move.

Course my opinion means nothing truly. but we all have opinions.

But to say one cruises a 50+’ or 60+’ Oyster on I guess it’s $25 a day, means there is a lot of expenses not accounted for.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50   #219
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Of course, I'm liv'n high on the hog with my social security retirement. Much easier. Though It's taken me a year to get caught up with, cough, defered items, like clothes, shoes, new batteries, etc.
And of course .................................................. purple hair
Old 04-05-2019, 12:52   #220
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So, the sad thing is we have a couple newbie sailors sharing their cruising costs.
don't forget the non crusier who of course knows best
Old 04-05-2019, 13:06   #221

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

But to say one cruises a 50+’ or 60+’ Oyster on I guess it’s $25 a day, means there is a lot of expenses not accounted for.
You are misunderstanding keno's budget. The 15euro a day is accurate, you just have add in the 150 US dollars a day.
Old 04-05-2019, 15:11   #222
cruiser

Quote:
Well to be honest Ken, I thought it was more like 6 months on and 6 months off.
But yes, I’d say anyone that lives in a land house part of the time and works to be a part timer.
Nothing wrong with that, there is no real definition of “Cruiser”. To some it’s spending Winter months on the boat in a Marina in Fl and going back home the rest to the time.
To some a big trip, the life’s dream it’s a trip to the Bahamas or maybe up and down the ICW.
To some, I guess it’s that beach Cat
Others do Circumnavigations , multiple times.
Some even go below the roaring 40’s. I think they are crazy, but what I think matters only to me.

In my opinion the only thing that makes a Cruiser a Cruiser is the boat is a means to travel, doesn’t really matter how far, but it was bought to go places in, as opposed to a weekend retreat or a place to live in that doesn’t move.

Course my opinion means nothing truly. but we all have opinions.

So I guess that would make Mike along with better than 90 percent of those members with boats here on the Cruisers Forum.... a "part timer." Very Interesting...

As I stated very clearly in earlier posts, I only budget food, communications and local transportation in our onboard budget. If I stay somewhere around 15 euros per day on daily expenditures.... all is good, I don't need to be concerned with the rest.
Old 04-05-2019, 15:24   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ken, I include myself in that part time as well.
I’ve spent the last couple of years hiding out in a protected Marina during hurricane season and just being a live aboard, do all Dr’s appts, get my teeth cleaned etc.
What’s wrong with being part time?
Old 04-05-2019, 15:30   #224

Boat: Catalina 470

To be honest I'd rather be a part time cruiser, looking at making that happen, it would be nice to be off the boat for 4-6 mths /year.... I'm thinking European summers, the cheaper parts of Europe (that's my budget tie in) .
Old 04-05-2019, 15:38   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And of course .................................................. purple hair

Well fuschia but I'll take purple too. I am so high class now.
Closed Thread

Tags
budget