Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56   #1

Boredom

So my kid says "living aboard a boat seems like it would get boring after a while". I can see some truth in it? Anyone want to counter this millenial assertion?

B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 13:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boredom

There is much to do on Boats, enough to keep most owners and most crew busy.

There is much to see when cruising, and much to do when piloting, navigating, or at the helm.

I recently spent 30 days voyaging and cruising, about 1,600 miles to and around parts of Newfoundland. I was never bored. I never got enough sleep. I never had time to read the books I wanted. There was so little time in the day to do all that was needed to be done. I learned about cod fishing from local fishermen, I fished, I caught fish, I cooked fish, I cleaned Boat and fish, I washed dishes, I did laundry, I stood watch, I steered the boat for hours for the fun of it, I saw whales, I saw icebergs, I met locals, I explored, I saw local sights, I took photos, I walked when ashore, I met numerous sailors,etc.

I did not play video games. I did not listen to music on headphones. I spent my time sailing or experienced the people and places around me in remote locations and small ports.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:05   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, to me this sounds like a legitimate concern from someone who hasn't done it. I guess a lot depends on the age of the "kid", and where you're going to sail. Your avatar, PapaSail, gives us nothing about the kid, the boat, nor the locations involved, so I'll be terse as well, because being forthcoming is a two way street.

I have never been bored cruising, and furthermore, it is okay to be bored, if that's what you choose. One might even ask the "kid" what he or she thought might keep boredom away.

Ann
Old 08-08-2017, 14:25   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hmmm, not a lot to go on here. I'd say boredom can happen in any living choice. I can see being bored at times living on the International Space Station. Boredom is part of the range of human emotions, so sure, it can happen while living on a boat.

Personally, I am rarely bored while living on our sailboat. I've rarely had trouble finding engaging things to do. I am far more likely to be bored in my land life than on our boat (right now we are on board for about seven months per year).

Life aboard is possible more self-directed and internally structured though. So if your kids are the type that need external motivation, or packaged entertainment (like video games or little league), then they might be challenged by the lifestyle.
Old 08-08-2017, 14:30   #5

"Bored" people can ALWAYS be engaged in something but chose not to be.
INawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
So my kid says "living aboard a boat seems like it would get boring after a while". I can see some truth in it? Anyone want to counter this millenial assertion?
Based on some of the debate topics that break out on CF, I suspect that yes there are cruisers who are bored.

Depends on your kids' ages. The diaries and blogs I've read seem to indicate that you're most successful with kids up into their early teens, then from that point up, they wouldn't much like it unless they had a genuine desire to experience it.

I would very much like to cast off, my wife is up for cruises of a month or two in the prettiest cruising grounds but would still want to keep the house, my nieces and nephews are very caught up in their young adult lives and cruising is probably the furthest thing from their minds.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:38   #7

Ask him/her to withhold judgment until they've been on watch from bmnt thru sunrise out on the ocean.

Give them complete responsibility for something that impacts quality of life onboard (for a few days) and let it succeed or fail.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:11   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Hasn't the kid ever seen "Below Decks"? It's just like that... boobs and all! He will have a great time!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:30   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

I've never understood what exactly is "boredom" even when I was a kid. The world, from its most minute to its grandest creatures and features, is such an interesting place. There are books to read and reread, people to talk to, things to master such as knot tying or celestial navigation, places to swim or kayak or bike or hike or camp, a shady spot next to a sunny place to catch some winks, the changing pallet of sky as another sunset fades away. It's truly exhausting.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 16:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can tell you, we are stuck in a rental house while the boat gets its chainplates replaced, and we are bored as heck, starting to get on each other's nerves.
I've been called back to work for a few days for an NTSB investigation, and sort of want to go, that is how bored I am.

I can't wait to get back to the boat, and we have only been full time for a couple of months, but it's home
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 16:22   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Of course it would be boring to a young person that isn't totally into it especially if they are not interested in anchors, batteries, battery charging, solar, and what it all costs.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 16:58   #12

Boat: Wharram Narai 40

I lived on a boat when I was 6-8 in Fiji. I can't remember getting bored other than having to do home schooling. I noticed you said kid not kids that might have changed it as I had two others to entertain myself with. However there were loads of kids we met that were similar age.
Mentosfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:14   #13

Boat: Various

Wifey B: I've seen kids and talked to parents where the boat was just not their thing. They wanted to be home with friends, doing what other kids were doing. I know some of them gave it a real chance too. I know two kids who did the Great Loop with their parents and they said they'd never again spend that long on a boat. The parents also enjoyed it but agreed it was just too long. It was homesickness for the home they love.

I am a 6-8 week boater and then spend 3-4 at home. I don't get bored but I miss home and our extended family. We boat a lot when home but we like Sunday's with 20 people over and things like that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:16   #14

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Sorry, have to add this. If it was at 4-8 knots and fishing and stuff like that, I'd be bored. I'm not wired for slow.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:20   #15

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Doing something you don't want to be doing can be boring. If you truly want to be there in the moment, you are engaged and definitely not bored
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote