Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 17:24   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Boredom

Maybe if your kid was sailing their own boat it would be different:

This young lady likes to sail and with a parent it probably would get quite boring:

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:43   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Doing something you don't want to be doing can be boring. If you truly want to be there in the moment, you are engaged and definitely not bored
Wifey B: We love sports. Drag someone alone who hates the sport and they'll be bored unless you provide an alternative.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hmmm, not a lot to go on here. I'd say boredom can happen in any living choice.
Exactly. Life is boring sometimes. It is interesting when you MAKE it interesting.

Besides that, I think parents nowadays (and I include my wife and I in this) put too much effort into keeping their kids busy all the time. Let them be bored! A little boredom is GOOD for kids! It forces them to figure out for themselves how to keep themselves busy. That is a very valuable skill as you get older, and one that I think the younger generation right now largely lacks.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, INawe.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:36   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

As with most things this is person specific. Part of it is what you're used to. If turning on a video game, the internet, the TV is your "entertainment" then a boating lifestyle could be boring because there is a lot more involved in doing things (can't just hit a switch to go fishing or do scuba). I don't think this is age specific (from observing peers).

My boat has been in the yard getting a transmission fix done for about a month and I've never been so bored since I bought my first boat. Between not wanting to spend much money and having the "new to me" boat so far away I'm going crazy.

Thinks he'll be bored on a boat now? Wait until he grows up and has to grind the 9-5...
Old 09-08-2017, 05:44   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
So my kid says "living aboard a boat seems like it would get boring after a while". I can see some truth in it? Anyone want to counter this millenial assertion?

B
It does, but so does land living and the trick is to learn fill up the day with various time wasters. Just look at the time waster I'm currently engaged in.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:46   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can tell you, we are stuck in a rental house while the boat gets its chainplates replaced, and we are bored as heck, starting to get on each other's nerves.
I've been called back to work for a few days for an NTSB investigation, and sort of want to go, that is how bored I am.

I can't wait to get back to the boat, and we have only been full time for a couple of months, but it's home
lot of bad signs in this post!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:16   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for alleged boredom involving kids cruising, connect with hotspur and third day. they may be able to give you an accurate assessment of life on board with growing children.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, INawe.
Ty Gord!
INawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27   #25

Give them responsibilities. Note that responsibilities are not Chores. Make sure that 'play time' is mixed into each day's schedule. Make sure they have time to go off on their own (age dependent). Encourage them to make friends, including giving them opportunities to do so.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:29   #26

There is always something to do. But that doesn't mean you wont get bored also. Let's face it, doing the same type of thing all the time can get boring. New destinations and places to see helps. Otherwise, just laying at anchor can get boring. I think the longest I lasted cruising is 2.5 years. Then I needed a break to come back later.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:55   #27

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I can see where living on a boat at a marina could get quite boring, particularly for a kid.

Cruising is a different story. I recently read in CW (or the like) of a family that had the same concern, but within days the kids happily adapted to a world without video games and social media.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
There is much to do on Boats, enough to keep most owners and most crew busy.

There is much to see when cruising, and much to do when piloting, navigating, or at the helm.

I recently spent 30 days voyaging and cruising, about 1,600 miles to and around parts of Newfoundland. I was never bored. I never got enough sleep. I never had time to read the books I wanted. There was so little time in the day to do all that was needed to be done. I learned about cod fishing from local fishermen, I fished, I caught fish, I cooked fish, I cleaned Boat and fish, I washed dishes, I did laundry, I stood watch, I steered the boat for hours for the fun of it, I saw whales, I saw icebergs, I met locals, I explored, I saw local sights, I took photos, I walked when ashore, I met numerous sailors,etc.

I did not play video games. I did not listen to music on headphones. I spent my time sailing or experienced the people and places around me in remote locations and small ports.

Hope that helps.

*Probably the best answer to millenials ever!
So good!
Hope to see you out there in (3.5) years and counting.

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:17   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
So my kid says "living aboard a boat seems like it would get boring after a while". I can see some truth in it? Anyone want to counter this millenial assertion?

B
I won't counter it.

It should be obvious to the most casual observer that there is more to do on dry land (you can sail AND do dry land stuff) than there is 100% cruising. I've done both.

Yes, I love the water, but a forum or a magazine has a real tendency to be all roses for cruising, when a great many sailors day sail because they have cruised and they tired of it. They didn't give up. They just changed directions. The smart ones knew it was not forever.

I think the response to the kids is that there is a lot to do, and we won't be doing it forever. The other stuff will be there when you get back.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:44   #30
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

only boring people get bored

long's you got Internet and a few screens, should be OK
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote