Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 21:19   #106

Boat: Still building
Re: BOOKS, TABLET or KINDLE?

LOL. Yeah Mac's are easier...

But I regularly cope with Shift+Alt+Ctl click options so no biggy for me.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 21:19   #107

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I much prefer LaTeX.
You know, I've forgotten about LaTeX. I'm surprised it hasn't come to the surface in the whole whole write once/publish many scenario we find ourselves in.

Time to go back and take a look again...

And wow has this thread taken a turn. And one that doesn't involve anchors, climate change or guns.
Old 10-12-2018, 21:37   #108

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You know, I've forgotten about LaTeX. I'm surprised it hasn't come to the surface in the whole whole write once/publish many scenario we find ourselves in.
Much of the Open Source community has moved to DocBook.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Sometimes you can't get Kindle versions in some non-US markets. For example, I recently 'collected' the 'alphabet' series by Sue Grafton (RIP) but could not get three of them on Kindle, so had to buy paperback. Go figure..
This is the only time I will resort to less than legal (and moral) methods. I once actually wrote an author to tell her i could read her book here in Canada and she replied "Sorry, but the Canadian rights were available..." I even went to so far as t mention that to a small SF publisher I knew but no joy. So I went out and got the books anyway. If I have pet peeve in this increasingly digital world its geo-blocking (and drm).

That as to be a real bummer for people sailing around the world. "I am sorry, but even though you are in Australia, your American credit card prevents you from buying this book. Have a nice day."
Old 11-12-2018, 08:15   #110

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

IMHO, paper books AND tablets AND Kindle.
You'll find that technical books are easier to use in paper form than ebooks, you'll probably read most of your fiction on a Kindle, while some books on a tablet are plus when you are on duty in the cockpit during an easy and lazy navigation, switching from time to time book>plotter>book on the same support.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:01   #111

Quote:
That as to be a real bummer for people sailing around the world. "I am sorry, but even though you are in Australia, your American credit card prevents you from buying this book. Have a nice day."
It's more of a bummer when you connect your reader to the internet and it removes all the books that aren't licensed in the country where your IP address is registered.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
It's more of a bummer when you connect your reader to the internet and it removes all the books that aren't licensed in the country where your IP address is registered.
The single biggest reason I think Amazon's business model is criminal. They are all bad but Amazon takes it to a whole new level.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:53   #113
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mac-
I once knew a designer who worked literally IN the US embassy in Tokyo. And that's US soil, per international law and every party involved, no debates there. She tried to order a copy of QuirkDistress one year, and they would NOT sell her the US edition, saying her shipping address was in Japan so it wasn't available to her. Quirk couldn't understand, the address was "in" Japan, yes, but it was also in a piece of the US that happened to be located within Japan.
So she had to have a US version shipped to a US address, and the re-shipped out to Japan, so it could be re-imported back in the US embassy compound.

Then again there's the Communist version of copyright: Intellectual property is the property of ALL the people, so they all can share it. Sounds a bit harsh, until you realize we do the same thing in the US. Anything printed by the USGPO or any other government agency, belongs to "we the people" and cannot be copyrighted. Some of the clever departments are contracting out their publications now--so there's an outside non-government author that owns the rights, in order to hobble them.

Bureaucracy. Whether it is books or boats, there's always someone coming around "Hi we're from the government and we're here to help you!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 16:58   #114

It's not so much "the government" as "bureacrats" making work for themselves and being nitpickers, but it's also often required by international trade and treaty. For example, copyright. Although it varies slightly place to place, the general principles are the same, and countries agree to recognise another's jurisdiction.

Sometimes it's just a faaark up - like my (Compulsory in my State) Motor Vehicle Third Party Bodily Injury Insurance (CTPBI) renewal that arrived two days ago and showed an increase of $220 on last year's amount.

Went downtown to the local insurance co. office and queried it, and it's a computer glitch that "head office knows about" (allegedly) wherein my car, being insured under 'Classic Car' insurance (not General Car Insurance) is underwritten by a different division of the company, and the two computers don't talk to each other - so the mainframe didn't pick up that I was entitled to a 'related insurance discount' as my car was Comprehensively Insured through the Classic Car division.

After complaining I got a print out showing the fee for 2019 will actually be $20 LESS than for 2018. Result!

Didn't have the heart to tell them I'm going to change the registration status to "Historic Rego", under which scheme the State picks up both the rego fee and the CTPBI and so I pay only $56 p.a (inclusive).

So about a tenth of the cost of 'full rego'. But travel in the car will then be limited to 'club events' + 60 days per annum. So as we have a club event at least once a week, I can take it out twice a week, which is more than I've been doing with it on 'full' rego.

Sometimes you get a win in your favour....!
Old 11-12-2018, 18:18   #115

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:

Time to go back and take a look again...

And wow has this thread taken a turn. And one that doesn't involve anchors, climate change or guns.
Did my thesis in LaTeX and even had a make file which ran all the computational physics calculations, updated all of the figures, and then updated the final 200+ page document.

Was a joy to change some input values for the computations and then type in

'make thesis'

And come back 12 hours later with the thesis on the printer having scheduled the supercomputer runs, verified they ran correctly, remade the plots using to postscript, built the document, and highlighted any values in the text changed by the new run.

Great fun! I would never think of writing lots of formulas in anything else....

Ah but that was in 1994!!!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 18:34   #116

LOL, back then is about when I stated using Photoshop and Quark for the first time, on a Mac.
For magazine design there was nothing simpler. WYSIWYG all the way.
Adobe's PageMaker is what I used for my thesis, but it was History-based, so no calcs or formulas!
It was clunky then and, in its latest "InDesign" incarnation, is still clunky.
These days I'm a rusted on Quark user.
As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-12-2018, 19:36   #117

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
BOOKS, TABLET or KINDLE?

Quark. Pagemaker. InDesign. DocBook. LaTex. Word. WordPerfect. Don’t forget TECO, Emacs, vi and edlin. And many more. Used ‘em all. Each is really really great for a particular purpose. Each is appallingly bad for others.

I’m an engineer. And a techie too. And a dead tree guy. I have a history of the United States that ends in the Monroe Administration when it was published in 1822. I can’t get that frisson with an e-reader. I feel the same way about fiction. I want a physical book.

But they take up space and I have to let them go to make room for more.

That’s ok.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Quark. Pagemaker. InDesign. DocBook. LaTex. Word. WordPerfect. Don’t forget TECO, Emacs, vi and edlin. And many more. Used ‘em all. Each is really really great for a particular purpose. Each is appallingly bad for others.

I’m an engineer. And a techie too. And a dead tree guy. I have a history of the United States that ends in the Monroe Administration when it was published in 1822. I can’t get that frisson with an e-reader. I feel the same way about fiction. I want a physical book.

But they take up space and I have to let them go to make room for more.

That’s ok.
Ventura Publisher baby...at the dawn of wsyiwig! Then on to Pagemaker when it was still an Aldus product. And I gave up on Quark when it started to go the way of the dinosaurs (never did like it anyway):-)

I've managed to hold myself down to about 700 titles or so but my partner has filled the basement with over 3000 and she doesn't intend to let them go. So if I ever do convince her to untie the lines, a storage until will have to be in the budget.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22   #119
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Ventura Publisher with the "database publisher" option, reverse-engineering its "tagging" syntax to output from plaintext reports, using URLs for graphics.

Hated the transition to Corel. . .

I'd love to find modern systems with the same flexibility!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:26   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Did my thesis in LaTeX and even had a make file which ran all the computational physics calculations, updated all of the figures, and then updated the final 200+ page document.
Suppose I'm writing a document that contains figures with references to the figures in the text. In chapter four I have a figure 4.3, on the opposite page to the first reference in the text to figure 4.3.

Then I decide to reorder the chapters. Chapters four and five are now chapters seven and eight. LaTeX will recognize that the first reference to the figure is now in the new chapter six, will place the figure on the opposite page to the the new first reference to the figure, will renumber the figure according to its new position, and will update the list of figures automatically. (Along with renumbering the chapters, all of the included figures, diagrams, and images, updating the table of contents, the index, etc.)

It's been many years since I had to manage significant documents, and I'm sure that there are other tools now that have these capabilities. But most of the tools I've seen don't even try, and I don't know how you manage anything beyond a short story without them.

Tags
books