Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 07:43   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Boats and the Condos View

There's a 60' houseboat here at the marina. This morning one of the other boaters was leaving the dock and noticed that the lines for the houseboat had been untried (the lines aren't behind the locked gate). If the current had changed the house boat would have floated away and who knows what damage it would have done to itself and other stuff. Apparently the condos next to the marina have been battling to get rid of the marina because the boats I guess ruin their view (the houseboat was at a different spot a week ago and moved because of the flack). My suspicion is that some condo owner untried those lines, maybe ones that are across from the houseboats new dock location.

If you don't want to see boats, why did you buy a condo next to a marina? Plus the view on the other side of the marina is crap and they should be glad not to see it. And between the marina and the street )right next to the condo build) there's a 19 story unfinished building.
Old 17-02-2019, 07:51   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Boats and the Condos View

Same as those who buy one street back in Waikiki then complain when a waterfront high rise goes up, and those who buy near a gun club then complain about the noise. Entitled people, some capable of criminal acts. They are everywhere.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:01   #3

SO monumentally thoughtless and dangerous (the action of the unty-er)! Imagine not only the potential damage to the houseboat, but also potentially many other boats it might have taken out on its way out of the harbour. Sheesh! The nobheads out there. Just astonishing.

ALL HALE to the sailor who discovered and retrieved/ refastened the lines!

Appreciatively,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 11:45   #4
CLOD

Turns out the houseboat owner had fired an employee the other day and that guy has been running around damaging the owners stuff.

So I semi-apologize to the condo people as they aren't vandals, just cryers.
Old 18-02-2019, 05:00   #5

People buy a house next to an airport and then complain about the noise. People buy a house beside a school and then complain about all the kids running around. People buy a house on a lake in Florida and then complain when they can't let little Fluffy run loose because of the alligators. People buy a house in the mountains of Colorado and then complain when bears get into their garbage.

Face it. People are stupid. Not all of them, of course. In fact, for the most part, present company excepted. But a whole lot of people out there just have no idea how to use their brains for anything at all.

(Yeah. I'm feeling a little curmudgeonly this morning.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 05:22   #6

Recently, in Walton County, Florida, beachfront homeowners have begun "claiming their rights to their private beach" and putting up barriers around their part of the beach, though the beaches have been used publicly since the area has been inhabited.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:24   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gotta kreep an eye on those you terminate.
had one take my dinghy i had rowed across the marina for replacing water garafones(he needed to relocate my well positioned bottles so he could row my dink). he took it with intention of entering my boat before i could arrive and protect my boat and cats. i am thankful for security and the occasional rapid response....
had this individual not effectively stolen my dink with malintent, he would have found himself in better situation than after his misadventure involving mexican police and migra. as it is, his smallest problem now is dodging migra as he works without papers and is illegal in mexico.
sometimes the terminated alleged employee hangs self with the rope he steals from the former employer.
the best aspect of the security here is that his next attempt to use the electronic key he refuses to return will put him into mexican prison.
i hope the owner of the houseboat has a good imagination for securing his home so as to prevent this mischief from recurring.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:06   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Turns out the houseboat owner had fired an employee the other day and that guy has been running around damaging the owners stuff.

So I semi-apologize to the condo people as they aren't vandals, just cryers.
Rash assumptions usually lead to rash conclusions. As do generalities about all condo owners, the vast majority of whom looked out the window before buying.

Why lots of boaters think everyone dislikes them as we read here is an interesting behavior.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:20   #9
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

I specifically got a slip near a gentlemans club in Philadelphia. Wouldn't you know they are opening a second club up the strip from the first one.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 12:59   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Rash assumptions usually lead to rash conclusions. As do generalities about all condo owners, the vast majority of whom looked out the window before buying.

Why lots of boaters think everyone dislikes them as we read here is an interesting behavior.
Maybe. But it’s a fact the houseboat moved last week to a different spot in the marina because he got tired of the the condo owner constant complaining
Old 18-02-2019, 19:18   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Kinda like those weird people who buy a boat and complain about the crowds in their favorite anchorage.
Old 19-02-2019, 05:15   #12

Second-hand story, but I'll add another...

I have a friend who lives in a townhouse complex in Treasure Island, FL (near St Pete, for those not familiar with the area). The complex has its own set of docks. There is a "marina committee" that is a sub-group of the homeowners association and my friend is the president of the marina committee. He is getting really annoyed at a particular new owner, who bought a townhouse that overlooks the docks, and who now complains constantly that she doesn't like the looks of the boats down there.

She started out complaining that they interfere with her view. She was basically told "tough luck." So now she has started complaining that she doesn't think they are kept clean enough; that they attract too many nuisance birds; that they are a hazard to people walking along the seawall... Pretty much anything thing she can think of to complain about.

Good thing my friend is a peace-loving kind of person, because I think he would really like to strangle her!

So, the fact that there are people who will buy waterfront property, and then complain about the boats that are a natural part of any waterfront, is very definitely true. I think there are some people who just can't be happy unless they have something to be unhappy about. Takes all kinds, and, like I said, some people are just stupid.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 05:32   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
some people are just stupid.
didn't think we were allowed to say this anymore
Old 19-02-2019, 05:56   #14

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

my favorites are non resident yachties who cry and complain about local anchorage laws and or how there isn’t a public dinghy dock, comment how crosswalks are needed at certain intersections like they think their opinions/voice matter?

Funnier yet is the animosity and malicious intent they project at you personally when/after you remind them “You’re visitor, you have no voice on local issues-be a good visitor and respect your hosts” and pivot the conversation to your last jury duty experience/talk about local city council meeting bad mouthing council memebers by name, state tax increases-local fees then segway (showing correlation) to illegal aliens and their entitlement issues...the last part usually gets the overly sensitive types steaming hard...ones that don’t I ask what war they fought in when they served in the USA military???

*cues up music/song “PEOPLE ARE CRAZY”*
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 08:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
SO monumentally thoughtless and dangerous (the action of the unty-er)! Imagine not only the potential damage to the houseboat, but also potentially many other boats it might have taken out on its way out of the harbour. Sheesh! The nobheads out there. Just astonishing.

ALL HALE to the sailor who discovered and retrieved/ refastened the lines!

Appreciatively,
LittleWing
Not only that, imagine if some good neighbor boaters tried to retrieve the wayward vessel after it floated away and were hurt or for some fluke reason were killed. People that have no thought of the consequences of there actions are dangerious. Or the liability to themselvs of the actions. Ever hear of ( negligent homicide ) .
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat