Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 11:10   #16

Re: Boat wide Wi-Fi with surveillance cameras, Internet and Garmin gpsmap 7000 serie

Yes, I was able to connect the Garmin to the "ship wide" wifi using the Almond. At the moment I only had one almond on board so I wasn't able to test having both the Garmin and the internet connected simultaneously but I've talked to several people who believe it should work. The "solution" will be to have one Almond that is permanently configured to "wifi extend" the Garmin chart plotter internet onto the boat wide internet (two different names). I have tested this and it does work such that I can simultaneously access both the Garmin with Garmin Helm and the Chromecast video device connected to the TV in the main Solon via Garmin helm on my android phone which is also connected to the "ship side" wifi. My thinking is that this almond will be permanently configured and tucked away (running on 12V) somewhere on the boat.

Once I receive the 2nd Almond it will be configured to relay the marina wifi to the same ship wide internet. My expectation is that I will have to the two Almonds physically connected at that point where the "ship wide" one connected to the internet is the primary (this means the other one is connected to the LAN port on the Almond)

I've ordered the 2nd Almond and will post my results again here once I'm able to test everything with both the Garmin and the internet. in theory this also means I should be able to easily download/upload weather into Blue Chart Mobile and then back to the GPSMAP without disconnecting/reconnecting wifi's
Lamb Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 11:31   #17

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Boat wide Wi-Fi with surveillance cameras, Internet and Garmin gpsmap 7000 serie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Chops View Post
Yes, I was able to connect the Garmin to the "ship wide" wifi using the Almond. At the moment I only had one almond on board so I wasn't able to test having both the Garmin and the internet connected simultaneously but I've talked to several people who believe it should work. The "solution" will be to have one Almond that is permanently configured to "wifi extend" the Garmin chart plotter internet onto the boat wide internet (two different names). I have tested this and it does work such that I can simultaneously access both the Garmin with Garmin Helm and the Chromecast video device connected to the TV in the main Solon via Garmin helm on my android phone which is also connected to the "ship side" wifi. My thinking is that this almond will be permanently configured and tucked away (running on 12V) somewhere on the boat.

Once I receive the 2nd Almond it will be configured to relay the marina wifi to the same ship wide internet. My expectation is that I will have to the two Almonds physically connected at that point where the "ship wide" one connected to the internet is the primary (this means the other one is connected to the LAN port on the Almond)

I've ordered the 2nd Almond and will post my results again here once I'm able to test everything with both the Garmin and the internet. in theory this also means I should be able to easily download/upload weather into Blue Chart Mobile and then back to the GPSMAP without disconnecting/reconnecting wifi's
Thanks for the info! I'll be following this thread closely :-)

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 15:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll be following this thread closely :-)

-David
Me too. Thanks
Old 16-02-2017, 06:03   #19

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
I think I cracked the code!!
Fascinating thread, Lamb Chops. And timely, too. Thanks for starting it. This is a project I intended to do this spring and it has provided good info.

Our needs aren't quite as great as yours but boat-wide wifi connected to marina wifi as the WAN source was our priority. There are many ways to do this, all of which require reconfiguring the WAN connection when stopping at a new port. Your post was the first time we had heard of the Almond and Almond+. The built-in screen and configuration wizard will make this task a breeze. We plan to follow this thread closely and will post our own results, down the road.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 06:10   #20

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Very interesting ! Thank you. I am wondering if an external high gain/ weather proof antena may be needed for receiving and integrating a remote wifi feed (the marina)?
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 06:20   #21

At high gain weather proof antenna certainly wouldn't hurt! Based on my research you want to make sure you get one with a built in bridge (like the bullet) because of signal loss from the antenna back inside your boat - such a device is typically powered via power over Ethernet so that you only have one 10baseT cable running to it.

In my experience with just 2 marinas so far I can say that the Almond placed inside the main cockpit has been sufficient - in both cases the signal at the marina was sufficiently weak that I had trouble connecting to it inside my boat until I added the Almond to extend (and bridge) the signal onto my ship wide network.

Good luck!
Old 16-02-2017, 07:06   #22

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Thank you ... the 2 external antenna options I am considering are the rouge wave and the wirie. The wirie seems to have the advantage on price and upgradability (can add cellular).
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 07:09   #23
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

A raspberry pi can do a lot of this as well, not sure about the garmin/iridium side of things. Draws about 0.3a @ 12v.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 07:14   #24

I talked to Red Port Marine - their guy in Tech port (Topher) was very helpful. Their device also supports both marine wifi and cell phone hot spots. He quoted me $500 for the complete system. Obviously at $69 bucks for the Almond I'm liking my current solution for now (at least until I'm on long term anchorage somewhere!
Old 16-02-2017, 07:16   #25

Topher and I also talked about the Garmin but it would have meant re-configuring their device each time depending on what I wanted to connect to and I really like the idea of just leaving one Almond permanently setup to connect to the garmin tucked away somewhere and always on.
Old 21-02-2017, 06:21   #26
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Here is the link to the RedPort Global Long Rang Wifi Extender System.

And here is a recent review Global Marine Networks received on it from a long time cruising couple that uses it now on their RV:

"Here is the winner. It was easy to install and works like a charm, has plenty of power, pulls in a weak signal, covers a range up to 7 miles, works wonderful on Skype and gives us freedom to work simultaneously on multiple devices like a laptop and iPad and was not breaking the bank…I liked what I saw, this unit was the top of the bunch for Marine and RV application, weatherproofed with o-rings and silicon rubber seal, carrying tube machined out of stainless steel with incorporated 1”-14 thread to accept the Standard Marine Antenna Mount, included was a neat “Optimizer” router which could handle Cell Networks, Satellite Phone for Satellite Internet beside the “Red Port Halo WiFi Extender”. Included too was a 32 ft coiled up Antenna/Power Cable, a bag with assorted Hardware and an easy to follow Quickstart Guide and Setup Manual.

A truly professionally, nicely put together package by someone, who must have done a lot of research."

Yes, we put ALOT of research into developing this system. As the founders of GMN, we cruised on a sailboat for 10 years (8 outside the US where Xgate Satellite Data Services began) and currently travel 4 months a year doing long distance trips on our trawler. This trawler is where current marine product development often occurs and where the Halo System was conceived and thoroughly tested over time in the marine environment under various conditions.

A very knowledgeable team member to talk to about the system is Marcus at 877-379-8723 ext 214. He's the guy in this YouTube video called .

Fair Winds!
Kim
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21   #27

Latest additions... Bilge monitor and indoor and outdoor temperature sensors. Motion detector (for security) on order.

This is a photo of the Almond control panel. I also get notifications in the event of a high water situation. I'd also intended to have a notification for a low outdoor temperature (in case of freezing) but there is more work that needs to be done in the rule engine for the Almond to make this possible. I have been in touch with them and they said they would try to fix it for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:25   #28

Click image for larger version

Name:	1488479149831.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	142313
Old 23-04-2017, 17:44   #29

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Lamb Chop
I'm curious if you can access your webcam from outside your LAN, i.e. from a phone or computer logged into a network away from the boat. My understanding of IP cams is that you need to have access to your router to set port forwarding and a static IP address so you can access it from outside the network. If you are on a marina wifi, your IP address is the Marina IP address and I don't see how you get past that to view your cam. Do the Arlo cams work differently?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 18:05   #30

Quote:
Yes the sell cameras work fine on my phone literally anywhere in the world. I'm writing this from Belize and can see both cameras (inside and out) from here . Pretty cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
boat, camera, garmin, gps, internet