Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 05:26   #16

Boat: Catalina 27
Re: Boat size for liveaboard single + dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
Fridge: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L3FLBQ4...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Stove ought to be installed in whatever boat you buy.

Water heater is pretty standard for 30 ft and bigger boats.

Heat source: If not already on the boat, there are numerous threads about what various live-boards are using. Electric heaters when on shore power, small diesel heaters, and even small solid fuel stoves.

Air conditioning: Easiest is a hatch unit like this: https://annapolis.craigslist.org/bpo...051662453.html

5 people for overnight trips: Think about where people will sleep and if they will be tripping over each other using the head or feeding everybody. This is AFTER you already have all of your live-aboard stuff in place. The thought ought to lead toward the size boat you look for.

While this Winter has been minimal so far, there've been times that being a live aboard could have truly sucked. One potential cure could be AirBnB because they do have some month long rentals. Waking up warm and having unlimited hot water can set your mood and be the difference between survival versus appreciating life.
Thanks! Really helpful info!
NewBeginings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:24   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

Nineteen years ago I decided to stay on my boat for a while to escape the beginning of the hay season at the place my five bedroom, three bathroom executive style home was situated. I no longer own the home and am on my second boat and wish I had made the transition when I was a lot younger.

If your little dog now spends your absent time cooped up in a small room it might enjoy the more varied environment of a boat. However you need to be certain that it won't take up incessantly barking or howling. Barking or howling dogs vie with rattling halyards as the main causes of marina unpopularity.

In country Australia cold winter nights are often described as "one, two, or three dog nights". Taking up dog sitting during the winter months might be a solution to your heating problems.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 13:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nineteen years ago I decided to stay on my boat for a while to escape the beginning of the hay season at the place my five bedroom, three bathroom executive style home was situated. I no longer own the home and am on my second boat and wish I had made the transition when I was a lot younger.

If your little dog now spends your absent time cooped up in a small room it might enjoy the more varied environment of a boat. However you need to be certain that it won't take up incessantly barking or howling. Barking or howling dogs vie with rattling halyards as the main causes of marina unpopularity.

In country Australia cold winter nights are often described as "one, two, or three dog nights". Taking up dog sitting during the winter months might be a solution to your heating problems.
I can see that happening to me...going from 2400 square foot house on 9 acres to a sailboat full time and being totally happy. I only work outside of the home about 4 hours, 3 days per week. The rest of my work is completed at home, so my dog doesn't really spend much time cooped up at all. He is quite spoiled and has beds all over the house.
Old 19-02-2020, 14:09   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, New Beginnings,

I would like to add that, given his accustomization to your laundry room while you are gone; and given that he does not trash things while you are at work; he will probably rapidly become accustomed to a 27 or 30 ft. boat. He might even feel safer in the smaller "cave."

Jim had a 30 footer at one time, and I've never more than day sailed on smaller than that. I did not suffer from lack of space on that boat, but refrigeration would have been nice.

It will depend on the facilities at your marina how much you'll need hot water. If they have showers, you'd have that need covered. Then you can heat cooking and washing up water on the boat's stove.

Having 4 guests aboard for a sail is going to be crowded, and you'll be doing a lot of educating. I hope you are an experienced enough sailor to feel comfy singlehanding your boat, because sometimes with guests, that's what you do.

Ann
Old 19-02-2020, 14:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF, New Beginnings,

I would like to add that, given his accustomization to your laundry room while you are gone; and given that he does not trash things while you are at work; he will probably rapidly become accustomed to a 27 or 30 ft. boat. He might even feel safer in the smaller "cave."

Jim had a 30 footer at one time, and I've never more than day sailed on smaller than that. I did not suffer from lack of space on that boat, but refrigeration would have been nice.

It will depend on the facilities at your marina how much you'll need hot water. If they have showers, you'd have that need covered. Then you can heat cooking and washing up water on the boat's stove.

Having 4 guests aboard for a sail is going to be crowded, and you'll be doing a lot of educating. I hope you are an experienced enough sailor to feel comfy singlehanding your boat, because sometimes with guests, that's what you do.

Ann
I wish I could say I will be comfortable singlehanding it right out of the gate. I will definitely need assist to manage, especially since I am probably going to step up to a 34-footer, but I am not going to give up my dream just because of my newly single status. I will just have to learn and adapt. I am pretty handy and tough, so I am confident I will get there. And, I think you have a good point about the denning insticts. Thanks!
Old 19-02-2020, 16:19   #21
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Another thing to consider is the marina that you propose to live in. There are a number around Annapolis that vary from quiet to party-central. Some have nice BBQs and picnic tables iirc, so that can be an option for entertaining in nice weather.
Having a smaller boat is a much cheaper option in all respects, so you might be able to take your friends to a fun cafe/bar/restaurant/event if the weather isn't so good.
Good luck; your dog is lucky
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another thing to consider is the marina that you propose to live in. There are a number around Annapolis that vary from quiet to party-central. Some have nice BBQs and picnic tables iirc, so that can be an option for entertaining in nice weather.
Having a smaller boat is a much cheaper option in all respects, so you might be able to take your friends to a fun cafe/bar/restaurant/event if the weather isn't so good.
Good luck; your dog is lucky
Thank you!
Old 20-02-2020, 05:00   #23

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Something like this would work well. Previous owner said to have lived on it for 20 years as a couple. Bombay Pilothouse 31.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 05:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginings View Post
I wish I could say I will be comfortable singlehanding it right out of the gate. I will definitely need assist to manage, especially since I am probably going to step up to a 34-footer, but I am not going to give up my dream just because of my newly single status. I will just have to learn and adapt.
It will take all of an afternoon to get used to handling 34ft.

Owning a 31ft yacht if I was single, then I would be looking at 35ft to live on board with some comfort. It's not only the length but width and height to stop that 'cabin fever' feeling during inclement weather. A full canopy will add an additional room too.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 15:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Something like this would work well. Previous owner said to have lived on it for 20 years as a couple. Bombay Pilothouse 31.
That's pretty cool. I have never see one of those before.
Old 20-02-2020, 16:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
It will take all of an afternoon to get used to handling 34ft.

Owning a 31ft yacht if I was single, then I would be looking at 35ft to live on board with some comfort. It's not only the length but width and height to stop that 'cabin fever' feeling during inclement weather. A full canopy will add an additional room too.

Peter
Good to know. Thanks for the input!
Old 20-02-2020, 17:59   #27

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

A friend's brother lived aboard a catalina 27 for many years in a so cal marina. Many couples have sailed long distances in small boats such as the allied seawind. It just depends on your own needs. Thx-Ace
Old 20-02-2020, 18:25   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Personally i think you are wasting time and money by thinking small. Think 38+ (40+is better for tankage and space) and be happy instead of almost happy.
Old 22-02-2020, 13:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Personally i think you are wasting time and money by thinking small. Think 38+ (40+is better for tankage and space) and be happy instead of almost happy.
I see your point. It seems like when you go 38' plus you are talking about bigger cabins, more conventional type beds, nicely equipped kitchens, etc. At that size, my concerns would be operational differences, possible crew needs, increased cost of slip and increased cost of maintenence. If I were part of a twosome, I would definitely be thinking 38-40 footer.
Old 22-02-2020, 13:38   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I single hand a 41 foot boat. only time size comes to mind is the last 10 feet to a marina. that's because marinas have gotten smaller. take it slow and I've never had a problem

Tags
boat, grass, liveaboard, single, size