Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 07:03   #1

boat sitting

looking for boat sitting job in florida , long term or short , sail or motor yacht yacht of any size , not against house sitting as well! 58 year old married male, retired looking to break boredom of retirement and to make some pocket money in the interim, background and criminal checks are encouraged! THANKS BARRY!
bbout2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 03:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: boat sitting

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Barry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 20:01   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

g'day Barry, and welcome to CF.

I wish you luck in your search, but at least in this neck of the woods, boat and house sitting gigs are not paid positions. Generally done by someone who needs temporary domicile, often (in our circles) whilst something horrid is going on with one's own boat.

We've friends, cruisers in a very small boat, who have done heaps of house sitting, mostly to get ashore during the winter months when life at anchor in a small boat isn't anything like they tell you at boat shows! They are not only unpaid, but often make home improvements or repairs, look after pets and leave the premises better than when they arrived.

All the above is in Oz... things may be different in NC (I guess that's North Carolina, not New Caledonia??).

Jim
Old 29-12-2017, 22:58   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I am house sitting as I type. My partner and I sold our house and moved on board a few years ago. We currently cruise the warm months (b/c we are still in Canada) and house sit and/or travel during the cold.

House sitting is not a paid gig, but it does allow you to live pretty cheaply. The typical deal that we’ve done is to pay a portion of the utilities. No rent or other costs. In exchange we provide basic maintenance, look after the pets & plants, and ensure the homeowner does not run afoul of insurance restrictions.

I would love to try a boat sitting gig some season, but these seem harder to find. I imagine it would be the same deal though: free living space (or almost free) in exchange for basic maintenance.

Tags
boat