Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 10:17   #16

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Boat Recommendations for Solo Liveaboard?

I've never taken a sailing course or crewed on another boat. Bought a 28 footer to start and did some reading. Found it to be very simple to learn. That said I did grow up in boats having my first rowboat when I was six. Also worked in open boats and longliners while in high school.

My belief is that sailing is obscenely easy but general knowledge of boats is the essential skill. Boat handling is the part I would stress because it's what you need to leave shore and return to it. .
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:18   #17
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

this is going the standard way here

sailing is easy, take a few lessons and join a club, get a little experience and buy a boat, sail it and extend you experience and ability, you will know when it is time and if not you are an idiot and the sooner that finishes you off the better

I had never sailed, took lessons, joined a club and sailed a 33' boat on weekends for 3 months, then brought a 39' boat. You could go from no experience to cruising in a week.
Old 17-01-2021, 10:31   #18

Boat: Ontario 32

28-32 should be comfortable for your endeavors and not too hard on your wallet. The above suggestions about hopping on with others are good, though you are less attractive as a potential crew member without experience - that’s the dilemma. If you have friends with boats or friends of friends, start there.

Having a few classes under your belt is a good start, I suggest ASA 101 and 103, and a docking class (full disclosure - I’m an ASA instructor). Starting off for a season in a coastal town is also a good idea if you can afford it. It takes time to find a boat.

Many others have done this - you can too. Just be smart about it and make sure you are prepared for each step.

Good luck!
Old 17-01-2021, 10:31   #19

Boat: S2 9.1

I second that suggestion to look into the Carlyle sailing club or others if they exist in your area. Courses are great but you need experience with knowledgeable sailors.
If I were you I would look for a boat from about 28 feet to 36 feet with a good diesel inboard. You can do it on something like an Albin Vega 27, I know a young couple who sailed the Caribbean in one for several years and loved it. They did do major prep work before they left.

It takes a lot of work to do what you wish to do, but it certainly can be done, and will be well worth the effort.
Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRK-8 View Post
Hi! I'm in a similar boat, pun intended, and landlocked in Kansas City. Here's what I'm doing. I took ASA 101 in Minnesota two summers back and loved it. Came home and realized that I needed some real practice but couldn't afford to rent bareboats every weekend. Decided I wanted to buy my own boat with which to practice. So, just yesterday, I bought a 1989 MacGregor 26S.

It's a trailer sailer, so I don't have to spend $$ on dockage, if I don't want to. And I can take it anywhere. I'm married with grown kids, and I want to have something to retire on or with within the next couple of years. My husband isn't a boat guy, so it'll be just me doing single handed sailing.

So, my plan is to practice as much as I can, get ASA 103, 104 certified (probably more), and either keep the little trailer sailer or upgrade to a bigger boat when hubby realizes how fun it is and how much freedom there is with a bigger liveaboard.

And yeah, everyone (except my dad) thinks I'm outta my mind. But I see full-time liveaboard, cruising as the ultimate freedom from the traditional "Great American Dream," which I've always thought of as being trapped with a giant ball and chain.
That's just it; the freedom. Thanks for sharing!
johnpaul7005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:32   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Recommendations for Solo Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul7005 View Post
I'm 25 years old and looking to transition to the "liveaboard lifestyle" in the next couple years. I've been doing quite a bit of research but most of the information I'm getting is from couples or even families living aboard their boats. This is good but not completely accurate for what I'll be doing. I'm wondering the following things:

1) In what size range should I be looking for my boat? (I plan to cruise around the Caribbean and only the Caribbean).
2) Are there any online resources (i.e. YouTube channels) with solo liveboard-ers providing tips?

Thanks!
Okay.. We have your age and we have your ambitions.. next is your financial capability.
Here's a boat to consider... or a similar sized/aged Beneteau or similar.. more than adequate accommodation and space for a guest or three now and then.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-36-mk-ii

Research some of these price wise and see if they could fit your budget.. if not then look at boats older and 30ft to 32ft like this for example.. decent accommodation, reasonably well kitted out and comfortable enough for 1 or 2 people to live aboard.. don’t let people bull§hit you about ketches being bad.. they are not, they have many plusses.

https://bviyachtsales.com/yacht/31-allied-seawind/
She won't be around in 2 years I am just giving examples..

Next is education and experience..
Do the basic Asa course and maybe one more.. I don't know the level or standard they'll take you to but would hope at least Competent Crew..
Following that book an RYA Day Skipper course with these guys for a week of on board living, sailing and boat handling skills..

Sailing School Antigua RYA Training | Miramar Sailing

Finally I would suggest you do your search and purchase in the Caribbean.. St Martin, BVI's, Grenada etc..
This cancels the 1000nm hack against wind and currents to get to the Windward Isles..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:40   #22

Take a look at Sailing Tarka Youtube channel. He did what you are describing with just about the same amount of experience. The channel has almost come to an end as he has already sold his boat and moved on to other things.

Hope that helps.
Saxoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:42   #23

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul7005 View Post

1) In what size range should I be looking for my boat? (I plan to cruise around the Caribbean and only the Caribbean).
2) Are there any online resources (i.e. YouTube channels) with solo liveboard-ers providing tips?

Thanks!
With respect to size range, the answer is the same if you ask how long is a piece of string......

Recently, I read/saw (can't remember) of an 80-year-old who has just spent the last couple of years sailing around the world in a 5m homemade boat. While today I was chatting with the owner of a local used car sales yard who said he sails in a 65 footer because he has a big family. ..... (good money in used cars apparently)

The size you want or need is as big, or as small as you want.

1. Personally, I am 70 and I decided I wanted a 37 footer because it was big enough for 2-3 people so we could have our own private space/cabin but small enough to sail single-handed in close waters as necessary. It's big enough to have a separate galley, bathroom, recreation and sleeping quarters. It is big enough to go water sailing">blue water sailing and it was the biggest I could afford. It's also big enough to have plenty of storage space for those personal things you inevitably accumulate in life but small enough to prevent me hoarding the unnecessary things.

I bought it as a beginner/learner sailor when I retired at 65 planning to sail the Indian/Pacific Oceans. I'm now, reluctantly, trying to sell it at 70 because of health reasons. I will then buy another much smaller vessel for local day sailing around the harbour.

2. There are plenty of youtube sailors but they are all couples, no solo sailors that I have come across. Let me know if you discover any.
Old 17-01-2021, 10:45   #24

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My Morgan 33 seems to fit your needs, roomy- 12' beam, full headroom, many storage spaces. Not a racer but fit for blue water. However, first learning to sail is critical. IMHO the best start ould be a small (16-20') day sailer and learn by doing.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:52   #25

Boat: Sea Pearl 28 cat ketch

Please do NOT try to learn to sail on the Mississippi River. I appreciate that it will teach you how to handle a lot of different situations, but it is not for the inexperienced boater. It is a heavily used commercial waterway, full of 1000 foot barge tows, nasty currents, submerged and floating logs and snags, and very few marinas. In short, not only dangerous, but boring.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:59   #26
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Recommendations for Solo Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post

2. There are plenty of youtube sailors but they are all couples, no solo sailors that I have come across. Let me know if you discover any.
Let me introduce you to the World of Roger Taylor and his exploits on the junk rigged 21ft Corribee Ming Ming and his new bigger junk rigged Achilles 24 Ming Ming 2...
The other extreme of Dockhead's fully crewed 54ftr sailing to Greenland.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:13   #27

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
This may sound crazy, but since you are in the Mississippi River, why not buy a basic River boat and learn how to navigate the River down to New Orleans? That will teach you some very useful skills: navigating in a crowded environment, trip planning, negotiating tides, docking and anchoring, bridge navigation, and hopping from place to place.
Once you make it to the gulf, you would accumulated enough hours to experiment with what type of vessel suits your new lifestyle.
Being 25 you are young and can basically sleep in any type of sailboat. My advice is to get a starter sailboat small enough to be seaworthy and easy to handle 25 to 30 ft is a good size. Spend as little as you can as this will be a boat to cut your teeth. Expect to have it for 2 to 3 years before you find your next boat.
Use the KISS principle
Probably one of the worst places in the world to learn to boat. Not even recommended for experienced boaters heading South. Very little infrastructure for private boats, very little docking for small boats, poor anchoring locations, long distances between fuel supplies, bad currents, heavy commercial traffic with extra long tows to deal with, shall I go on ? This is why folks choose the Tenn-Tom Waterway.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:29   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As has been stated many times before, the sailing/boating part is not difficult and can be learned in a relatively short time, certainly much shorter than two years as being suggested. It’s the things relative to sailing/ cruising that should be learned, navigation, anchoring, rules of the road, a lot which can be learned before you ever set foot on a boat. As far as the boat itself, I would recommend something at least in the 30-36 foot range. By the way, thousands of people jump on boats and take off with no experience every day. I certainly do not recommend this but just pointing out there is a happy medium somewhere. I also recommend that once you find the boat you want, find a friendly experienced soul to go out with you at least a couple of times to learn how things work. Good luck.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:34   #29

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I lived aboard a 28' monohull when I was younger. Sailed it extensively in NW US and SW Canadian waters. It was affordable and easily single-handed after some rerigging.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:59   #30

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N

I think 30-35' is probably the ideal size for a firstt boat you plan to live and cruise on single handed. Then again I may be biased as I just started living and cruising on a J/34c.
roam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard, men