Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 13:09   #46

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: Boat / personal security

Wow,

I was horrified to read this thread. We have lived aboard 18 years and sailed 180,000nms and have never carried a gun. We do have spearguns onboard but for the purpose they were designed.

We have a mesh theft screen which can be locked from the outside or inside to secure the companion way. We have motion sensor lights in the cockpit and sometimes leave a radio on if not aboard.

I would not be cruising but locked in a secure compound ashore if I was paranoid like the folks in the gist of this thread.

Sue - loving a simple cruising life
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 13:38   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
Or from home. When people ask me about fear of storms or "piracy". I get to just smile nicely and say "I'm from New Orleans darlin".
Lots of land pirates there! (Not from there but lived there, and still live near).
Old 06-11-2014, 14:13   #48

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Watch 'home alone' and you will learn everything you need to know...

paint cans on strings and blow torches on doorknobs and patches of ice and dont forget a bunch of life size cardboard cut outs on a string and record player.

When I am not on the boat, I am at the stables and even when I know they are on, the electric fences still get me a few times a week... prob work very well with life lines (especially with 240).

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 17:09   #49

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
............... When I am not on the boat, I am at the stables and even when I know they are on, the electric fences still get me a few times a week... prob work very well with life lines (especially with 240).
Can you say "lawsuit"?

I hope everyone is smart enough not to booby trap their boats.
Old 06-11-2014, 18:13   #50

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Don't forget to Chum around your vessel, no body, no crime. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 18:32   #51

I think seriously most people have it right about being safety conscious aware etc. I have these cool custom anti pirate bars that slide into my hatch, so I can have my hatch open and locked. Nifty idea, not sure if would help much. I'm Canadian, so no problems owning fire arms in this neck of the woods II like to shoot and I'm not a bad shot, but they need to be trigger locked and I can't imagine using a 12 gauge would be any fun in the confines of a Fantasia 35- so I keep them at my moms farm. Of course I have a couple machetes in my workshop.
HOWEVER! My boat came with a neat old 8 gauge brass flare pistol. I've often wondered if I could load birdshot into that sucker.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 05:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Can you say "lawsuit"?

I hope everyone is smart enough not to booby trap their boats.
If there were any money there, lawyers would have been suing the crap out of cattle farms for people who trespassed and got shocked on their fences (me being one of them when I was a kid when we would do that a lot).

Try and find one.
Old 30-11-2014, 13:40   #53

Lightbulb Re: Boat / personal security

I'm entertaining the thought of modifying a 12 volt electric cow fence insulated at the lifelines, operated remotely. Probably wont kill em but it'll hurt like hell and virtually undetectable.
Old 30-11-2014, 16:23   #54

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

...i see dead people..
so... should I get the new chartplotter or the nice .50 cal I found on silkroad???
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 18:07   #55

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

The risk and need for security greatly depends where you live and cruise.

Example:
I rarely lock my boat, although my home marina has a locked gate. Never had a problem.
I've never locked my house in Australia in the past 15 years. I'm not even sure if I still have keys for the doors. Again - never a problem.

Currently, I do rotational work in Iraq, I'm posting this from my office which is surrounded by 18 foot high concrete tee walls, topped with concertina (razor) wire. This is then surrounded by more fencing, CCTV cameras, floodlights, trenches, lookout towers, guardhouses, search bays with sniffer dogs etc. I have a hardened bunker which is RPG proof behind my office, a well armed & trained ex-Canadian special forces guy in the room next door, and plenty of heavy backup power minutes away.

I feel much safer when I get home with the doors unlocked, the windows open and not a firearm in sight.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security