Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 02:35   #1

Boat: none yet
Question Boat Ownership in Turkey

Hello all.

I am a newcomer to the site and cruising, and would welcome any advice from members on the following.

We are a Scottish couple who have escaped work in the UK and are now resident in the Kemer/Antalya area of Turkey.

With so many beautiful days in this area, and numerous inaccessible bays, we are considering buying a small 6-7M motor day cruiser to allow us to explore these areas.

Does anyone have any info on the profiiency requirements to allow small time cruising in these waters. I have previously sailed boats of this size in Scottish coastal waters and am reasonably competent, but have no formal certification.

Whilst it is obviously worthwhile taking some lessons, is it neccessary to obtain a formal qualification prior to sailing.

My apologies for my ignorance on this matter but would welcome any advice or suggestions from more experienced members.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards

Robert and May
boabby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 12:58   #2

Boat: 17ft Van de Stad
Hello Robert and May,

Sorry for my late answer to your topic as I've just read your post.

First off all, I wish you are spending pieceful, healty life in Kemer; enjoying those paradise-like bays and will enjoy more when you will that boat you mentioned.

In order to cruise with 6-7 mt boat, Turkish citizens should have " Certificate of Competence for Operators of Pleasure Craft" issued by Amateur Seamanship Federation after being succesful at the test about fundematal seamanship topics. As far as I know, this test is taken only in Turkish. You can take more detailed in formation at adf@adf.org.tr

You can as well ask information to Cumhur Gokova, the owner and instructor of Gokova Sailing School. He is located in Marmaris/ Turkey. His institution issues International Certificate of Competence (ICC) for UK citizens and I think that might help you.

You can contact him at 90 252 419 0153 for further information. I'm sure he or his collegues will be doing their best to help you.

Wish you luck and joy during your sailing..

Regards,
Kamil
hurakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 14:36   #3

Boat: none yet
Thank You

Dear Kumil,

Thank you for your reply to my query, and for your useful links. I will contact ADF for their advice and hopefully the test can be conducted in English since my Turkish is not yet up to a good standard.

Your advice is very welcome.

Yours

Robert
boabby50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, cruising, ownership, Turkey