Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2022, 19:13   #46

Boat: Foutain Pajot, Lipari 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfgang.Schau
Re: Boat listing price vs offer vs actual sale price

If you buy a boat, you have to love it - like your wife.
This boat will take you through ups and downs - as your love life with your wife does.
If this is not right, it's not the right boat or the right wife.
Here is the crux, once you felt in love, you don't care about money anymore and the seller knows. Then you need someone to pull you down to reality to be able to negotiate.
The worst scenario is the seller realizes you love the boat. Then it is time to bring in your wife and have her bitch about the negatives.
Wolfgang.Schau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 11:25   #47

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAboardTom View Post
New to the forum and after searching I did not find a thread (but have to think it is because I am not searching the forum correctly).

I am looking to buy a live aboard boat in CA within the next month or so. Selling a house and already have approval for a live-aboard slip. I'm going to end up paying for the slip before I have the boat but given how hard it is to get a legal liveaboard in So Cal nowadays that is fine.

I have seen maybe twenty boats. Missed out on one (it was the second boat I saw and by the time I saw enough to realize it was a good boat at a decent price it was already under offer), and have a far better idea now of what I want. Something 38 to 40 ft with a decent aft cabin / bunk but not a quarter berth (unless I see one I love). I am single and the slip limits me to 40 ft.

My question is: what sort of offer do people make compared to listing price? Every broker says their boats sell for full asking and that other brokers boats are overpriced, but I figure there has to be some wiggle room.

At the high end of the range is maybe 80,000 to $120,000 for a newer turnkey and in my day dreams my house sells for asking and I can afford to splurge a bit.

The other end of the scale is $40,000 to $60,000. Not looking for a project boat. I saw some boats that were just ....

In the $40,000 to $60,000 range I have seen a few decent boats that may need electronics upgraded, or sails, or something else but are otherwise fairly sound and ready to sail.

So, on a $100,000 boat can I offer $60,000 or would that get an automatic no? and I know there are variables to any offer but when someone lists a boat how much room do you think they have in their price?

Thanks in advance for any insights and sorry if I am just missing a thread that talks about this. If so send me the link and I will follow gladly.
It depends, just about any boat needs equipment replaced or repaired.
If my budget is 100k I would look for something around the 80 mark...as I say it depends on your income and of course the real state of the boat...if you work in mining and earn let's say 4k a week fixing a boat is easy.
If you offer 40% less than the asking price you might get shown the door...
The same when you sell your house...you probably wouldn't be happy with a low ball offer either.
Boats require money, elbow grease and knowing what is priority and what is not.
Knowing about boats and the sea, other than watching YouTube flicks helps greatly as well.
In the end if you like what you see, after considering possibly large repair expenses and money restraints you can offer what you like and if you get knocked back try again, wait for the counter offer...if you are happy with that buy the thing..if not walk away.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 12:56   #48

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Look at the boat first, then try to evaluate the Sellers motivation. Does the Seller drive an expensive car and keeps the vessel in the back yard and not have any dockage fees? Or does the Seller arrive at the boat yard in an old station wagon and is facing high monthly dockage fees. Many Sellers seem to believe their vessel never depreciates, even though you cannot find parts for the 40 year old engine that propels it. Sometimes they are looking for gold, sometimes they are getting too old and want to see it go to a good home. Remember you got to kiss a lot of frogs.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, offer, price, sale