Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 20:22   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Boat advice

Forgot to ask, what's your budget and sailing plans? Is this primarily a home that will stay close to the harbor, or do you have big plans to cruise? That will help us guide you toward appropriate designs. We can probably help you with some heads-ups on certain designs when it comes time to have it surveyed. Bluewaterboats.org has a bunch, though not complete list, of well-made and tested designs, which will likely still be in demand when/if you sell (at least by cruisers.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:50   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
Mark S, I have wanted to live aboard for years. I am an avid primitive backpacker so I am comfortable living out of a backpack so a 40 foot boat would be ample room. My wife shares my passion. I also love the idea of a simpler life forcing me to downsize and the fact of not being tied down. I don't mind doing the maintenance and it isn't about money. It is about living the one life I get to the fullest. I loathe the idea of spending my entire life living in the same place.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wait, what? 40 foot is no where close to backpacking! You have space for your tools, food with the water still in it, running water, a doors between the beds...

Our 39 footer sometimes leaves us wondering if we weren't a bit greedy, but we sure are comfy!
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:54   #18

Don. I have found a few boats with separate state rooms. I know you are right about my daughter needing her space. Believe me. Ha. Anyway. Our immediate sailing plans will be mostly trips to Mexico and along the west coast. I can't get enough consecutive days off from work to go much further. But as soon as I retire in 12 years it's on! My budget is probably from 80,000 to 150,000. Obviously the closer to 80 the better.

Surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Wait, what? 40 foot is no where close to backpacking! You have space for your tools, food with the water still in it, running water, a doors between the beds...

Our 39 footer sometimes leaves us wondering if we weren't a bit greedy, but we sure are comfy!

I agree. I was making a point. Ha. I would like to get at least a 40 footer I think for when my daughter becomes a teenager. Unless I could find an ideal layout with a smaller boat.

Surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 22:59   #20

Hmm... have you looked at a Nonsuch 36? Lots of room (as much as most 40 footers,) easy to sail (and sails well,) in your price range. I believe it has a quarter berth cabin for the daughter. Very well-respected boat and builder. Hard to find on west coast but I think I saw one for sale in San Diego not too long ago. My sailing is cruising around the Channel Islands and that is one of the few boats I drool over.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2015, 23:13   #21

I see there are a couple of Nonsuch in WA on yachtworld at $75,000. For MY tastes the bottom is kind of flat (could make it a little uncomfortable going to windward) and I wish it had a skeg for the rudder, but considering its reviews I'd even accept those "faults" (There are many others who will say those are very desirable features.) Google it and read the reviews. Check threads here too for them. I've never sailed one and always wanted to. If you get one in Washington I'll crew for you when you sail it down!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2015, 23:40   #22

Boat: Traditional 30

Yep, , 90s boat with a good survey.. Especially the engine- its the most expensive item on the boat. But if you can do a reco - even better. Thats a big saving.
But the previous owners will have added all the gizmos and thingies that you will save a lot of money on.
But yes, get the survey. Any small flaws can be used as points of negotiation.

Considering you have your daughter as well, you may want to consider a center cockpit. This will allow you some privacy- uurm- for those time you may practice making her brother :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote