Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 09:42   #1

Boat: Trojan, F400, 40ft
Bluewater vs. Searay

Hello fellow cruisers. This is my first post and I was wanting to get some input on a decision that we are faced with. We currently own a trojan F400 and not happy with the high center of gravity that the taller boats have. So we are looking at either the 51 ft bluewater or the 46 ft searay express cruiser either one in the mid to late 80's year models. We have the basic pro's and con's figured out but what we need advice on is which one would be the best to handle the east coast ICW, the great American loop and cruises to the Bahamas. Which one would be best for mildly rough conditions if caught out in. We appreciate any and all advice
Pappi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:54   #2

Re: Bluewater vs. Searay

I'm sorry I can't help you on the Bluewater, but my son has a 50' Searay and he is very pleased with it, it's newer than what you are considering though. He doesn't go blasting through the water either, just enough to blow out the engines after a day at idle. His boat was use for the Great Loop by the previous owner and it a luxury ride, but your trip to the Bahamas will probably cost you more than a trawler, but then you're away of that. Good luck....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 13:49   #3

Boat: Trojan, F400, 40ft
Thanks for your input I appreciate it
Pappi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43   #4

I can tell you the Bluewater would be far more comfortable and functional than the seaway, I own a 2007 5200 custom and I've traveled on both. The Bluewater is like living in a small condo with a great upper helm with all the emenities. There is no comparison with ceiling height and ingress egress to the main salon.

Joe
Jac9123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:30   #5

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

A Bluewater is a houseboat... Our neighbor when we lived onboard in Jacksonville has 52' "Coastal Cruiser".. It is NOT an ocean going boat but does have a lot of room...
It also has the 454 GAS engines.. He hasn't left the slip in 4 years due to the amount of fuel it gulps..
We bought our boat to USE, not to sit at the marina.
But if you live on a lake or never plan on going anywhere in the ocean......
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:58   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seems to us that theres a lot more boats out there then just these two!! maybe ya need to look at a few more if ya plan to do the Bahamas! The Bluewaters as said above are fine for coastal if ya have deep pockets for the fuel needed to go anywhere! The sea rays are nice and come with diesels, but again the fuel costs are sorta high but will do the bahamas. Maybe a trawler might be a good thing to look at ! Ive had one that we sold, and it was really good on both fuel and comfort! just our 2 cents
Old 28-08-2012, 11:19   #7

I guess they are more expensive but the Baja's are beautiful boats....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 15:50   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi Rocks View Post
Hello fellow cruisers. This is my first post and I was wanting to get some input on a decision that we are faced with. We currently own a trojan F400 and not happy with the high center of gravity that the taller boats have. So we are looking at either the 51 ft bluewater or the 46 ft searay express cruiser either one in the mid to late 80's year models. We have the basic pro's and con's figured out but what we need advice on is which one would be the best to handle the east coast ICW, the great American loop and cruises to the Bahamas. Which one would be best for mildly rough conditions if caught out in. We appreciate any and all advice
Even with best of intentions to avoid rough weather, --it happens.

I've read in several places that the Bluewater hull form is not suitable for ocean travel. Similar to Holiday Mansion and Gibson houseboats. I have no first-hand experience with 'em though, so treat that as hearsay and FWIW.

We moved from a flybridge boat to an express boat... but didn't like living in the cave and I especially missed the improved visibility from a flybridge... so we went back to a flybridge boat. 360° visibility even in bad weather is much more comfortable for us.

High center of gravity? Perhaps a flybridge boat with a lower station, so you can drive from there in rough weather, if you chose to?

-Chris
Old 28-08-2012, 16:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We have a Bluewater 5800, and I can't really complain about the fuel burn. Like any boat it's size, you wince every time you pay the bill, but that's the cost of any large boat. For long deliveries we tend to run at 9kn which keeps the fuel burn down, and only use high speed when running from a storm.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 06:36   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser

I would suggest keeping the F400.... Sea Rays are primarily "bling boats", and virtual nightmares when internal repairs are necessary.... That is 2d hand information FWIW, from a couple of guys who do well as boat repairmen. They hate working on them.

I also think that you should prefer to have the higher flybridge if you are planning or going to the Bahamas.... Being able to read the water from higher up tends to make life easier and safer.... IMHO.

Tags
sea ray