Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2019, 18:01   #1

blue water cruiser

Hey all!
Well, after years of thinking about it I've finally decided to start the process of becoming a full-time cruiser (eventual circumnavigator). I'm looking for something 27ft-34ft, full or modified keel, preferably a cutter. On a budget. I plan to do some refitting, including rigging updates so not too worried about age. I'm looking for something that is first and foremost known to be seaworthy and solid, comfort comes in at a close second, while speed and style are hardly on the radar to be honest.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what boats might be best to look into? It seems there's quite a bit of selection, but searching through endless pictures to look at the keel is a little exhausting!

Thanks! I appreciate any advice you all might have!
liz.w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 18:45   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: blue water cruiser

Take a look at the list at the end of this article
Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 21:25   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

Hi Liz, the link Paul sent is a good one. I had the same criteria as you when I purchased my 27' about 10 years ago. Within my budget, I chose small and quality and do not regret the boat choice, it has been fit to purpose. And if I were purchasing again these days, it may likely be the same boat. Especially all being equal with the budget.

That said, I have more respect now for the speed component. The buddy boats we sometimes do passages with are nearly always bigger/faster than us, thus we are often the last boat to reach the destination. More than once this has left us exposed to the tail end of a deteriorating wx window while the other boats have already comfortably made port.

But that's not to say we haven't always arrived at our destination, same as them.

Good luck in your choice. The exact boat you end up with pales in comparison to simply making it happen.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 21:44   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Lots a full keel Water boats">blue water boats listed here: (keel pictures included on most of the boats on the list as well as some very good advice for first time buyers)

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 21:52   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Liz! There is another site that may be helpful too, Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
It's not a complete list but it has many good possibilities. The site has gone quiet so I am not sure they are updating it anymore, but the info is still there.
another site: https://atomvoyages.com/

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/

may help too.

I'd say my boat, an old Columbia, at 29' may be a candidate for you, but, as much as I love it, I am not sure I'd recommend it for circumnavigation. It is good for speed, strength and simplicity, but not very roomy, though it does have 6' headroom. If you live very simply and compactly then it could be a good choice. My buddy has a Cheoy Lee Luders 30 that is also strong, simple, has more room and sails well (but I'm faster.) Given your ideas I'd push you to the higher end of your lengths there. There are quite a few boats in that range (30-34) that could fit the bill well. Maybe tell us what you've been looking at and we can tell our experiences with those particular boats. BTW where are you? That info can help too.

Oh, and I'd echo what was said previously. Don't rule out the importance of speed too quickly! Boats don't have to be slow to be safe!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:16   #6

Oh man! thanks for all the thoughtful advice guys! Don C L, I'm located in Colorado right now which is obviously not ideal when it comes to looking for a boat. I have a trip to NY planned next week and I'd like to take the opportunity to look at some boats and get a feel for what they're actually like in person (size in particular).

For some reason, I'm feeling drawn to a couple of Pearson models. Particularly the Vanguard which I think is a better size but generally out of budget. I also like the Triton but I do worry about the size, for one sailor it would be great but hopefully, I won't be alone forever! I also like the Vanguard 27, but again wonder about size. I think the Cheoy Lee Luders is a very intriguing option if one can be found on the East Coast and in budget.

In terms of just poking around some marinas in NY does anyone have some suggestions? Maybe a good place to start, someone to contact, have a Pearson I could look at to get the feel of? I come with beer.... ;-)
Old 26-09-2019, 13:49   #7

* Vancouver 27 (not Vanguard 27 lol)
Old 26-09-2019, 15:16   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

What’s your budget? Have you see the thread about good boats for under $30k? I can’t link it right now. If you are looking for a good old Pearson in the 32 foot range, find a Pearson Rhodes 41! it actually has an interior size similar to more modern 32-34’ (and that’s just a shameless endorsement for a boat that happens to be one I’d like to get some day.)
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 15:51   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Vancouver 32,
Victoria 34,
PS 34,
Rival 36,
OE 32,
Rustler 36,

etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 16:09   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz.w. View Post
I'm looking for something that is first and foremost known to be seaworthy and solid, comfort comes in at a close second, while speed and style are hardly on the radar to be honest.
Man does that show inexperience. Do you really plan to spend more time crashing and bashing than living on your boat and having nice sails?
Old 26-09-2019, 16:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Man does that show inexperience. Do you really plan to spend more time crashing and bashing than living on your boat and having nice sails?
He is definitely inexperience sailorboy1 but everyone isn't looking to be on a permanent vacation with zero physical effort living on a condo style sailboat at a marina and calling it cruising

I see many sailors that like this lifestyle but it's very unhealthy
Old 26-09-2019, 16:17   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He is definitely inexperience sailorboy1 but everyone isn't looking to be on a permanent vacation with zero physical effort living on a condo style sailboat at a marina and calling it cruising

I see many sailors that like this lifestyle but it's very unhealthy
Play no attention to the man behind the curtain who has no idea of what living and cruising on a boat is like.
Old 26-09-2019, 16:21   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

A site/database that’s fun to play with is: Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

You can do some head-to-head comparisons of boats and their specs, and you can plug in various parameters and find boats that fit your numbers.
Old 26-09-2019, 16:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Play no attention to the man behind the curtain who has no idea of what living and cruising on a boat is like.
I live on it when I sail and when I'm at anchor.

I catch fish for my dinner. I don't have a windlass. I have no more than 2-3 gallons of fuel onboard. I have no alternator

I cross the open water of the lower Chesapeake Bay almost weekly

You can sail/motor most of the East Coast and the Gulf along the ICW like SB1 one does on his condo boat and call it cruising and never be more than a couple miles from land and then overnight at the nearest marina.

This is awesome for those that enjoy that sort of thing.....

But it would drive others of us nuts due to the lack of sailing and almost zero excitement dealing with weather or reentry thru various inlets/passes plus the constant traffic

I used to watch folks motoring the ICW on my runs in Pensacola, FL in the 1990's thru 2009 and I felt a bit sad for them just motoring along
Old 26-09-2019, 17:03   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

I can’t speak from the experience of bluewater sailing but I am told that my PC 31 is up to the task. I know this one was taken across the Atlantic by previous owners and it seems to be built like a brick outhouse.

It offers plenty of room for myself for long term cruising. It feels roomier than some longer beamier boats due to the open layout.

It is a better boat than I deserve and I enjoy having a boat that I feel deserves my time and care.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, water