Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 11:18   #1

Boat: 1969 29 Grenfell Express Cruiser design
Bimini = Bucket of water on my head

So I had just recently purchased an older boat with bimini. Rain had fallen over a couple of days as I live in the coastal area of British Columbia. So I went to my boat to load goodies for an up coming trip. I stepped onto the port aft gunwale which of course tilted the 7 ton vessel slightly to port and had what felt like a bucket of cold water poured on top of me.

The bimini, which is a canvas (not really canvas, just can't think of what to call the material) has drooped ever so slightly and acts as collection area for water. When I step onto the boat, I change the dynamics of the collection system and I become a wet victim, a cold wet victim.

If the gods are with me, this link will work as you will see the underside of the bimini at least. Any suggestions?

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c2&oe=5C42D6EC

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 12:15   #2
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Bimini = Bucket of water on my head

Ah the boat baptism .... been there, done that, had to dry out the T shirt (and more)

You will quickly learn to step on the boat in such a manner as to avoid the shower

Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 12:33   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

First, use an umbrella to keep you dry, when you step aboard. Heel the boat enough it won't drip on you any more, when you come with your goodies.

Maybe you could park her bows in, and step aboard forward.

Consider how fortunate you are to have a motor boat.... Here's what happens to me. There has been a big rain. Although our boom bag has drains installed, some water always remains. Jim goes forward to the mast to use the main halyard, and, as the sail rises, while I'm motoring into the wind, I get the cold shower! while he's safely out of the way, too. It is just boating. Your thread may turn into something like "how I get an unwanted shower, let me count the ways".

However, to answer the question, maybe a new bimini is the way to go. Re-use the supports, but even acrylic canvas (Sunbrella is one manufacturer) has a lifetime and gets tired. If you decide to have a new one made, ask around and see who has the best recommendations in your area, because tight fit really matters to you. Also there is pvc cloth called marine hooding here in Oz, that actually tightens with ageing. Not common on biminis because they are meant to fold up. You can try having it altered, made tighter, and I would try that first, depending on the costs involved. The fabric is tight enough to hold water, so it may not be too old for a fix.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 20-10-2018, 13:34   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

We don't have a watermaker but our bimini has a drain. It's very common to fill a 6 gal jug in one good downpour.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 13:44   #5

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
We don't have a watermaker but our bimini has a drain. It's very common to fill a 6 gal jug in one good downpour.
Likewise, I fitted a plastic marine sink waste fitting to mine, cut the barb part off then screwed a plastic tap quick release fitting to the thread so I can snap on a hose and collect water
Old 20-10-2018, 14:03   #6

I would replace the middle horizontal support with one that bows up. (Looks to be straight from the pic, creating a flat/saggy roof)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 14:37   #7

Boat: 50í Bavaria

I had a big problem with this on my old (probably 12 years) bimini. The solution was twofold: first I removed one of the steel hoops and put a slightly more pronounced curve in it. I used a piece of wood with two blocks on the ends, and a clamp to squeeze the trapped section of tubing in or out as required. This solved part of the problem — that the tubing wasn’t curved sufficiently.

The second solution was to bring in some of the lost tension in the canvas. Pulling manually in various places I found that I could do with an additional couple of inches in the middle, and about an inch at the edges. I removed the canvas, marked the new line, unpicked the relevant zipper section, and re-sewed the zip to this new line. At the same time, I sewed a couple of patches over some small holes.

Result is a perfectly tight bimini which sheds rain completely even when there’s no wind at all. Ok, so it’s not going to last forever and I’ll certainly need to replace it one of these days, but it has given it a great deal of extra life and the unexpected cold showers have gone.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 09:25   #8

Boat: Tartan30

Obviously it depends on just how your bimini is constructed. If all the bows pass thru a sleeve in the bottom of the bimini my plan will not work......BUT IF one or more of the bows are not in a sleeve, you may be able to take a POOL NOODLE, or black foam pipe insulation foam and slide it onto the bow and take up a little slack.

For mine it worked, plus if I re-tension the straps that hold up the bimini I can take out the sag.I understand some bigger more expensive boats than mine have free standing bimini frames that may not require the tension straps.

As has been said, simply remembering to put a foot on the toe rail, and giving the boat a good rocking prior to stepping aboard my be the best fix.

I am always surprised how many "little odd things" become just second nature as I get used to a new to me boat. Duck here, jiggle this a certain way, when I move this, another thing tries to hit me in the head....lol.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:35   #9

I had toyed with getting a hard bimini then had an inspirational thought. What if I place solar panels in that area to act as a solid bimini over the "canvas" roof. Everyone will think I have these panels for power collection, which of course it will do. But in reality, it will be protection against rain showers....lol.
Old 21-10-2018, 13:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You need to fix it so it doesnít hold water.
I say that because if it does, then itís going to get a nasty stain right where it holds water, matter of time
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 19:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I had toyed with getting a hard bimini then had an inspirational thought. What if I place solar panels in that area to act as a solid bimini over the "canvas" roof. Everyone will think I have these panels for power collection, which of course it will do. But in reality, it will be protection against rain showers....lol.
Be grateful, here on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA marinas charge you $5 usd for that! Towels extra! lol!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 21:58   #12

I haven't used a marina head yet for a shower, I hope they are better than the hundred RV bathrooms I have used....lol.
Old 22-10-2018, 20:54   #13

Some of the nicer marinas do have clean and well kept showers. Others not so much, like rv parks Ive been to that got overwhelmed on the 3 day weekends by monday they were wilder than the surrounding woods! Lol!
Old 23-10-2018, 20:15   #14

they were wilder than the surrounding woods! Lol!

Sounds like fun - not. I love going to Desolation Sound here in BC in the off season because it is desolate. In the summer, not so much.
Old 24-10-2018, 09:37   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
If you do that, it will work ok but its hard to make the solar panels "watertight" and you will end up with a leaky bimini. And if you are really unlucky the leak will be right over the helm (not applicable to powerboats ).

Beautiful old boat. Is she in good condition?

Tags
bimini, head, water