Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: As a liveaboard, would you choose a Pedal Bike or Electric Bike?
Pedal Bike 36 70.59%
Electric Bike 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 08:54   #1

Bike or Electric Bike?

Which do you feel is better and why? A pedal bike or electric bike for daily transport.

Both are folding but the latter is about $1,000 more, requires charging (which won't be a problem), and is a little heavier.

Folding bike: https://dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8/
Electric bike: https://enzoebike.com/

Thanks, swolle
swolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:19   #2

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Bike or Electric Bike?

I think bikes aboard of any type end up being more trouble than they are worth (although many would disagree). Storage, rust, dangerous roads in many parts of the world, limited carry capacity, not easy to get in and out of dinghy, scratching your boat etc etc.

I personally would love a Peloton bike aboard for exercise with satellite wifi connection. But am using my boat's gym space as a yoga nook at the moment.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:23   #3

Electric bikes are heavy.

If your boat has davits or a boom arm for cargo, and your dinghy is big enough, and you have Popeye arms for lifting things onto the dock... you might be able to manage an electric bike. Otherwise I think the best idea is a decent folding bike, if you can store it out of the elements.

The US$1000+ of an electric bike buys a lot of taxi rides.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:58   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

My folding bikes rusted so they could not fold.

Why don't you get the cheapest used bicycle you can find? Then take the wheels off. If this is too big, get a bike with 20 inch wheels, pretty small without wheels and seat. You can remove pedals too.

I have had bicycles stolen 5 times already. 3 of the times were in new zealand: a country full of thieves.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:01   #5

Personally, I would probably not go electric on a boat (weight, corrosion, etc) but then again I love to ride. If you're really not into pedaling, then maybe electric is for you.

For non-electric, folding bikes are a practical option - like a Brompton (or a knock off). They have fatter tires than a road-style bike, and they fold down to be easily stored on deck. IMHO, they're just really goofy looking. I'm a bit of a bike snob though, so take my opinions with a grain or two.

A hybrid bike like this from Bikes Direct would probably suit the average occasional rider quite well while cruising - Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Flat Bar Road Bikes - Dawes Eclipse City

I have (and love) older steel road bikes. They are a racier geometry (you're not as upright while riding, but more forward). One of these with saddle bags and a backpack and I can haul a ton of stuff and move fast, but road tires can get a bit sketchy if the roads are unpaved and very muddy. This is my "carry-stuff" bike: Vintage Lotus Excelle Bicycle Page. The downsides are that they don't fold down and are pretty large on deck. I keep mine lashed down under the boom when cruising. Other old steel 70's and 80's road bikes (Fuji, Motobecane, Lotus) can be had for $200-$300 on craigslist or ebay and they are generally fantastic to ride. They also look great IMHO.

I generally use a fixed gear (not for beginners, but can be flipped to single-speed like this: https://www.statebicycle.com/product...ons-characters) to commute to work in NYC. It's light as all get out and very fast (useful to evade homicidal Uber drivers), but not a good off-roader. However, it's extremely light weight makes it easy to drop in the dinghy, so I may take it cruising this summer.

If you want ease of pedaling in hilly terrain you'll want gears, if you want to be able to ride on unpaved roads you'll want fat tires. My advice would be not to buy a full-on mountain bike - total overkill.

Don't forget to buy a bike lock - cable style or chain with a nice, fat padlock works well.

Hope this rambling post is somewhat helpful!
Peregrine1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bike or Electric Bike?

One of these... 20km range on single charge.. 25kmph.. folds down to easy carry shape.. easy to stow below..
Wots not to like..

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/gl..._lead_grey.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	750x750.fit.497-220FT-L.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	165137  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:28   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I would not buy any electric bike without riding it. I have been on too many that claimed good performance but were too slow under electric power. Maybe OK if it has an assist function but even then I would find it frustrating.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 11:04   #8

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Get a $300 Bikes Direct single speed fat bike and put a BBS02 from Luna Cycle on it. Light, cheapish (depends upon size of battery) and simple. See Electricbike-Blog.com for more about how-to.
I built two of them and we use them all of the time, it just depends on what you expect from them, if they are worth it to you.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:55   #9

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One of these... 20km range on single charge.. 25kmph.. folds down to easy carry shape.. easy to stow below..
Wots not to like..

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/gl..._lead_grey.htm
Yes.

No enough candidates to vote for there.

I have a pair of Momas electric scooters aboard. 2 of them are smaller than 1 bike. Means they fit in the dink better as well. Getting 2 bikes and 2 adults ashore in a dink is an ugly thought to me. Even when I use to have 2 gas powered scooters, life was easier than with bikes.

They don’t have to live out in the weather. And best of all, they NEVEr are out of sight when we use them. With a bike; you always have to worry about it still being there when you come out of the store. Mine fold up and go on the rack under the shopping cart.
My handlebars fold up smaller than the one shown here. 10” pneumatic tires for comfort and stability.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Get a $300 Bikes Direct single speed fat bike and put a BBS02 from Luna Cycle on it. Light, cheapish (depends upon size of battery) and simple. See Electricbike-Blog.com for more about how-to.
I built two of them and we use them all of the time, it just depends on what you expect from them, if they are worth it to you.
Good answer. I built two as well but using a kit from a different company that I will not recommend. We don't live aboard though so can't comment on the feasibility of an electric on a boat. They are quite heavy. Part of the reason I won't recommend the company is that after a year my 250W set up crapped out and they did not want to be of any kind of useful service (side note: 250W 24V will get you going 15mph on flat ground; about 23mph with a decent amount of work). What it allowed me to do though was ride my bike as a normal bike for awhile. Turns out I still like to ride even without electricity (though I will always use the button if I have it). I also have less stress because I don't have to worry about having a dead battery and peddaling all the way home. I now just know I have to pedal no matter what.

Electrics are really good for not sweating so if you want to use them to go to a nice dinner or tango classes then they will be wonderful. Beyond that, not really necessary except for fun. My bike is still just as functional and used without the motor. It also helps to have a nice bike that is easy and enjoyable to ride. Anyone wanting a bike in the UK, look up 8ballbikes. James Middleton will make you a real nice whip.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:20   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I've been happy / my electric for a few years. Unlike my previous gas bike there is minimal maintenance. As a live-a-board I feel a 20" folding bike is preferable to an unmotorized 26".
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:08   #12

Hi Swolle ,

I would recommend the dahon or a Tern folding bikes , the Tern Link is a frame similar to the Dahon . Tern do an upgraded model called the Verge this is the model I would get , its lighter and comes with wide or narrow tyre option these are the best folders on the market .
We have folders on board in bike bags for many years in a cabin , if they are looked after they will last long term . They ride more like a larger wheel normal bike , a 20 inch wheel is the best option .
john o connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20   #13

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPHBE5K...GUK31FEY&psc=0

Less than 20lbs, less than $900, easy to stow or carry and transport ashore.
Oh, and fun!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21   #14

I have two Montagues. The boat is a reasonable size at 50 feet and there is good storage.

I purchased the Montagues because they fold, but are also proper all terrain bikes.

I have recently converted them to electric, using Bfang 500W motors. I love them even more.

Before conversion was fine, but there are times when you cant face a longish ride. As the primary / only means of transport from the boat they are much better than I expected, with a comfortable range of 40 miles. I can also pedal as much or little as I like so still retain the ability to excercise.

They are heavier. Taking them on and off without the motors was ok. With the motors (and being lazy) I have the luxury of a lift on the boom to do the job which makes it a easy.

I did think the motors might be a bit of a gimmick and not all that reliable. In fact they are great fun to ride, go up almost anything, and so far very reliable, although I did rework some of the components to cope with the power.

I think if you boat to really travel places and then like the ability to get around as you might on a moped then electric bikes are tremendous and really do the job very well.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21   #15

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Bike or Electric Bike?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	165182 we have both electric motorized scooters which are fantastic around the dock and on improved sidewalks and streets. picture above. I added a a bicycle trailer to add to the scooters utility. We also have a set of DownTube 9fs folding bikes. Love them but like others have said rust will be a problem unless you store them in their bags and out of the elements.

https://www.downtube.com/downtube-9f...-folding-bike/
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric