Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: As a liveaboard, would you choose a Pedal Bike or Electric Bike?
Pedal Bike 36 70.59%
Electric Bike 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:25   #16

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Bike or Electric Bike?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED5A57C1-3382-4CE1-95BB-47A45445EB36-2964-0000054FA8E3FB46.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	165184 here is the downtube 9FS

It is one of the best looking folders out there and cost about $650.00
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29   #17

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Link to the electric scooter. Mine is black the wife’s is pink. Cost $230.00

https://www.amazon.com/GOTRAX-Glider...eywords=gotrax
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:26   #18

I love my riding and i love getting out 'bush' on a bike so the small wheeled fold ups don't cut it for me (no offence to those that prefer them ) and i like the exercise so don't go for the electrics, i got enough other electrics to worry about without adding more

At the moment i have two bikes, one is a nearly new fold up Montague Paratrooper which is a fantastic bike, tough as nails, easy to store and transport and takes me everywhere i want to go, highly recommend them for those that prefer a full size bike and like to get off the well trodden track The second is a Fat Bike, this doesn't fold but comes apart easily and is no trouble to stow. I've had the FB for a few years now and for the type of riding i like it has to be one of the best bikes I've owned, sand mud and snow is no problem at all, the FB is getting all the use at the moment.

When we throw the lines for good here i will be offloading FB to a nephew and just keeping the Paratrooper, i will miss it though it's been a lot of fun, in fact i'm off for some more fun on the FB right now

Fat Bike....

Paratrooper....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:33   #19

Boat: Boatless

Over the last ten years I have ridden my bike in 20 countries and my wife can get two cases of beer on hers. We buy cheap bikes, last one was $119 and throw them when they rust out. I am on my 5th bike!

You could not give me an E-bike as I need exercise...during a recent 12 week stop in the Marshal Islands I rode my bike 1,200 miles and lost 20 lbs. In New Zealand I did a coupe of 60 milke rides. A great way to see the country.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38   #20

IslandHopper - yes me to with the Paratrooper - I hear what you say about the excercise but it is even more brilliant with the bolt on Bfang! You must try it sometime - perhaps when you get a little older
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 17:06   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The problem with the Dahon Mariner is it's only an 8 speed rear derailleur . Fine for unloaded riding on relatively flat ground but not enough gears for pulling a trailer, heavily loaded bike, hills or riding into a strong headwind. If you could get it with a geared hub or double chain ring crank it would probably work in most conditions.

Haven't ridden the Dahon but another folder that looks like a pretty close copy. The riding position sucks and it's heavy. A struggle to hoist onto the deck from the dock and probably worse from a dink. Suppose to get a compact folded package the riding position is very cramped. To spread the load over a large set of muscle groups, you need to have some forward lean. Not the extreme tuck of a racer but definitely not the stupid bolt upright position of the typical beach cruiser and the cheap folder I own. Made the mistake of carrying the boat on the foredeck for one fairly rough passage and never again. Bike dripped rust like crazy staining the gel coat and caught sheets on every tack. Would not reccomend leaving any bike on deck for a passage if you expect to ride it when you get there.

My regular bike is a Bike Friday New World Tourist. bikefirday.com. It rides like a regular bike with 27 speeds to tackle the gnarliest of conditions and carries an amazing amount of stuff using panniers and its suit case trailer. I've owned a number of bikes over the years and prefer the BF which has left my other three full size road and mountain bikes gathering dust. Store the bike on the boat in it's suitcase/trailer in the forepeak on a passage. It's light enough to be easily hoisted onto the deck with the panniers off. The bike folds into a suitcase so can go as checked luggage on the airlines. Frame is steel but hasn't been a problem though have done few dinghy trips with the bike. Have left the bike on deck folded in it's suitcase which pretty much protects it from rain for a couple months at a time. The only negative is it's not a quick fold to get into the suitcase. Takes 15 plus minutes to break it down to fit in the suitcase and/or reassemble. You can do a quickfold in a minute or two to fit in a shoulder bag for quick transport like in a dinghy, throw in a car trunk, chuck in a locker or forepeak or whatever. BF's are not cheap but they are custom built to order. Also available on Ebay at somewhat cheaper prices.

Bike Friday does make a truly quick fold, backpack bike called the PakIT. It's truly light at UNDER 20 pounds and can be had with a wide ratio 8 and 11 speed geared hub to handle hills and loads and belt drive so no greasy hands. Actually quickly folds down to fit in a custom backpack. They also offer an electric upgrade. The 'but' is they are very pricey especially with the geared hubs and the electric option.

My BF New World Tourist has paid for itself many times over on and off the boat. Have saved cab fares with the suitcase trailer as well as for relatively light largish items. Used the BF to get to the BART stations which gave me access to the whole SF Bay area. Getting my two boats ready for ocean passages was able to go tens of miles around Sausalito and Alameda with no problem. When I got to Hilo, it opened the whole town to a sshort pedal. Way more convenient than a car. I can't imagine going places on the boat without a good bike. The one exception would be the islands of SoPac though even there did a circumnavigation of Moorea on borrowed folding bikes. So many more places to get to that are too far to walk. Now use the bike to get the 6 miles to and from our Condo in Carlsbad to the boat at Oceanside Harbor and load it on the Coaster Train down to San Diego to explore.

FWIW, I'm 73 and in not great shape so you don't have to be Lance Armstrong to get around or use performance enhancing drugs.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 21:43   #22

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
My folding bikes rusted so they could not fold.

Why don't you get the cheapest used bicycle you can find? Then take the wheels off. If this is too big, get a bike with 20 inch wheels, pretty small without wheels and seat. You can remove pedals too.

I have had bicycles stolen 5 times already. 3 of the times were in new zealand: a country full of thieves.
Sure they weren't just borrowed?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 22:32   #23

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
My folding bikes rusted so they could not fold.

Why don't you get the cheapest used bicycle you can find? Then take the wheels off. If this is too big, get a bike with 20 inch wheels, pretty small without wheels and seat. You can remove pedals too.

I have had bicycles stolen 5 times already. 3 of the times were in new zealand: a country full of thieves.
As an Australian I enjoy the good natured rivalry we and our brothers and sisters across the Tasman participate in however I am offended that outsiders would express the opinion that it is "a country full of thieves.". That's a vile slander, it's no more than half full of thieves. I am reasonably certain that if you really could remember where you left them and went back today you would find their rusty remains where you left them.

On the subject of electric bikes.

On numerous occasions, generally whilst pedaling up hills with protesting knees, I have wished for a bit of an ampage boost and being a bloke with a few mechanical and electrical skills have pondered going electric. However on reflection I give up on the idea as being totally impractical as a full time yachty. With all the extra hassles of keeping them fed, dry, out of the rain and salt water when going ashore in dingies, extra weight to lump around etc. they are not worth all the extra effort required.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 23:06   #24

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
As an Australian I enjoy the good natured rivalry we and our brothers and sisters across the Tasman participate in however I am offended that outsiders would express the opinion that it is "a country full of thieves.". That's a vile slander, it's no more than half full of thieves. I am reasonably certain that if you really could remember where you left them and went back today you would find their rusty remains where you left them.

On the subject of electric bikes.

On numerous occasions, generally whilst pedaling up hills with protesting knees, I have wished for a bit of an ampage boost and being a bloke with a few mechanical and electrical skills have pondered going electric. However on reflection I give up on the idea as being totally impractical as a full time yachty. With all the extra hassles of keeping them fed, dry, out of the rain and salt water when going ashore in dingies, extra weight to lump around etc. they are not worth all the extra effort required.
Not long ago, for no particular reason, I felt something like a bolt of lightning in my neck ... five days of discomfort, wandering around with my head on a funny angle to relieve the pain. There's thieves in this country. One of them had Pinched My Nerve!
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Electric-assisted bikes are looking good these days, but beware. In some countries they will be considered powered, aka motor vehicles, and you may find yourself subject to more regulations that a plain bicyclist. The ones with "hidden" assist so you appear to be doing some or all of the work, might be an advantage against that.

For that matter, a hoverboard or other self-balancing gizmo, even the electric unicycle (!) would sound good, except I think I'd have problems with unintended gravitational impacts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:58   #26

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I hoped these would have caught on. Seen them as pitbikes around racetracks a few times.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 20:19   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440

Gocycle is a truly amazing way to go....answers a lot issues. He to have some video on these bikes soon.
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric