Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:46   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
bidet toilet

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this...

I saw a "marine bidet toilet" in a publication recently, and I thought, this is the perfect live aboard potty solution. They use very little water, are cleaner (hygienically), it would completely eliminate the need for the whole toilet paper issue. (no toting reams of TP in a dingy.. no TP getting wet and useless... no clogged toilet, or bags of poo paper, more storage space) and, much of the international world uses this way to stay clean...

They are expensive, unfortunately. I'm wondering if they are truly worth it. Anyone have one? Here's an link to one..

https://www.thetfordmarine.com/us/el...ctronic-bidet/
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:10   #2

Re: bidet toilet

Vacuflush has a hand held bidet attachment as a.n option on some models

And many boats have the toilet and shower share space. Just reach up and use the handheld showerhead, it makes a better bidet than.... a bidet!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have used the bidet type toilets (Toyo) in Japan and felt their advantage, including the warm water option.

Much cheaper solutions for a boat (what I will use):

1. Pump sprayer bottle
Type used for garden spraying. Plastic.
+ Cheap.
+ Replaceable.
+ can add warm water in morning for cold weather personal cleaning
+ can be used on boat for other purposes (deck shower, etc.)

2. Baby Wet Wipes
+ useful on other body parts too (under arms, crotch, face, etc.)
+ Provides a cleaner finish than just TP.
+ Keeps bum and body cleaner than only TP on passages, when showering or bathing not as frequent.
+ Mineral oil in the wipe helps prevent chapped skin and skin irritation (e.g.boat bum)
- Must be disposed outside of toilet. Not flushable!

Hope that helps. Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8454.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	161344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8453.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	161345  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’d imagine that if it was a true bidet head, it would need to be a fresh water flush? We have fresh water flush and love it, but the amount of water that goes down the toilet is astounding, you need to either be close to a Marina with free water, or have a watermaker to support one, or I guess have truly massive water tanks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Vacuflush has a hand held bidet attachment as a.n option on some models

!
Actually, this is a great idea. I know they have these attachments for your home toilets, but the head in a boat has a bit different plumbing set up... but I love the idea...
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I sold a lot of marine toilets but only one had a bidet. I never got any feed back on it so I’m not much help. I personally like the idea but have never tried it.

The toilet I sold with a bidet was a Raritan Elegance.

I was at Home Depot a few days ago and saw a Kohler toilet seat with a bidet. I bet with a little thought you could hook one of those to your fresh water system and still flush with raw water. Might need to use a solenoid valve to prevent contamination of your fresh water.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You would need both a solenoid and a vacuum break.
Unfortunately the vacuum break means no pressure to speak of.
I think the only safe way is a separate water source than your drinking water tank, although a shower head has no such protection?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:42   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Unfortunately the vacuum break means no pressure to speak of.
Just use a pressure vacuum breaker. It's designed for just such an application. 800M4FR Freeze Resistant Pressure Vacuum Breakers, Vacuum Breakers, Backflow Prevention - Watts
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Just use a pressure vacuum breaker. It's designed for just such an application. 800M4FR Freeze Resistant Pressure Vacuum Breakers, Vacuum Breakers, Backflow Prevention - Watts
Would you even need a solenoid valve if one of these vacuum breakers was in the supply line?

My handheld shower came with a vacuum breaker that didn’t seem to restrict the flow at all. I think you need it on a handheld shower if the hose is long enough for it to get submerged in a tub of water.

This is the vacuum breaker that came with my shower. https://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-065...Vacuum+breaker
Old 01-01-2018, 11:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’d imagine that if it was a true bidet head, it would need to be a fresh water flush? We have fresh water flush and love it, but the amount of water that goes down the toilet is astounding, you need to either be close to a Marina with free water, or have a watermaker to support one, or I guess have truly massive water tanks.
I think I would use a fresh water flush anyway. I would think it would keep the smell down. We are planning on a watermaker.. so I'm not overly concerned with the water flow...
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Would you even need a solenoid valve if one of these vacuum breakers was in the supply line?

This is the vacuum breaker that came with my shower. https://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-065...Vacuum+breaker
Well it still needs a way to turn the bidet on/off, though that could be a simple valve and not a solenoid.

The hose vacuum breaker is a cheaper version and I would not trust it to protect a bidet. Plus when pressure is released the valve would open and dribble water in the head. Much like the VB on a dock hose bibb.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44   #12

Boat: Hunter 386

This guy installed one on his powerboat... https://microship.com/boat-bidet/
Old 01-01-2018, 14:00   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well it still needs a way to turn the bidet on/off, though that could be a simple valve and not a solenoid.
The bidet conversion kits and the bidet toilet seat I saw are equipped with a manual valve to turn the water on and off. Come to think of it, I don’t think they have a vacuum breaker and they are connected to a drinking water supply system.

Would the air gap between the surface of the dirty water and the nozzle of the bidet be enough to make it safe?
Old 01-01-2018, 14:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The bidet conversion kits and the bidet toilet seat I saw are equipped with a manual valve to turn the water on and off. Come to think of it, I don’t think they have a vacuum breaker and they are connected to a drinking water supply system.

Would the air gap between the surface of the dirty water and the nozzle of the bidet be enough to make it safe?
From a "code" standpoint, the minimum air gap is 1". So if the bidet nozzle is an inch above the head rim then in theory, all is good. I will note that a household bidet (in the us anyway) is required to have a pressure vacuum breaker on the H&C water service to the bidet.

On a boat at sea, I would install a pressure vacuum breaker as then you are protecting your water tank and water system from contamination, if the nozzle somehow drops into the head.

EDIT:

Toto another Japan plumbing fixture manufacture has the bidet toilet seat with lots O options. A bit spendy at $1500 (for the seat and remote, head not included). https://www.totousa.com/washlet-s350...nd-with-ewater

BTW, I consider Toto to be the best at low flow WC's for landside facilities. They just work 100% of the time.
Old 01-01-2018, 14:19   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

My handheld shower came with a vacuum breaker that didn’t seem to restrict the flow at all. I think you need it on a handheld shower if the hose is long enough for it to get submerged in a tub of water.

Are these vacuum breakers, or backflow preventers like on every house external water bib now?

Tags
oil