Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 08:31   #1

bicycles

I'm sure this has been covered before..... I consider a bicycle a "non negotiable" for live aboard voyaging. Problem is getting it to shore when anchored out.

last week I picked up a virtually brand new folding bike for a couple hundred. It has a shimano 6 speed derailleur.... which would not be my first choice, I prefer internal geared hubs with internal brakes, but those are expensive, and seem to have a larger spoke count.... this bike has 20" wheels with 28 spokes.... the hubs available in 28 spoke cost more than I paid for the bike, and lack the internal brake / coaster brake.

Most of my bikes have had derailleurs, and I've never liked them, or caliper brakes. My favorite bike ever, which I built from pieces years ago has a 3 speed coaster brake hub, a columbus tubing frame, and a single campagnolo front brake.. a joy to ride with it's large Brooks leather saddle.... but it cost most of a month's pay to build.

I need to learn to be content with what I've got,..... ;-) It was a good deal, and will be easy to maintain, and can be hauled in a dinghy. Stored out of the weather, it should serve me for the rest of my life with little upkeep.

I can see rust being a major issue..... I can only see one way to beat rust effectively, and it is neither cheap nor simple.....

.............. I'd like to hear thoughts / experiences on bikes in voyaging boats....

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:40   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: bicycles

Yes, covered before. See bicycle threads.

We have decent Downtube and West Marine folders. The Downtube model has a front suspension and internal hub, good. Mostly what rusts is the other hardware (folding, break mounting, etc.).

-Chris
Old 01-05-2019, 08:50   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...icycle+OR+bike
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 14:44   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, owly,

I had a nice full size bike i bought second hand in Australia. It was such a pain dealing with it, storing it below decks, and then, getting it into the dinghy to take ashore so I could ride it, that i sold it at Christmas time, after about 9 months ownership. We tend to have large dinghies, too.

I think it depends on your cruising grounds how well bikes work out...great where paved and flat. If it is largely rural and few roads or a city where cars are king will both affect how useful they are. Also there are places where bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks, and the streets are too narrow.

Ann
Old 01-05-2019, 15:36   #5
cruiser

Brompton folding bike. Not cheap, but worth every penny and easy to transport with one hand.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 16:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
bicycles

We are on our second set of folding bikes.
Both have been Dahon, the first set I had for years to carry in an airplane.

Bought new Dahon Mariners in Jacksonville, got a better price than I could find on the Internet.
Learned from the first set, that bikes have to be kept below decks, above deck and you will have corrosion issues that will rather quickly ruin the bike.
I bought two good thick, heavily padded bike bags and keep them below deck. Best use for them is a place where they can be left ashore and safely locked to something strong. Carrying back and forth daily in the dinghy quickly gets old.
However they are a PIA, take up a lot of room to store, difficult to get into and out of the dinghy etc.
Best like bicycles, if you are not a bicyclist, youíll likely not use one, my Wife isnít, she had rather walk. My knees are shot and biking 10 miles is much easier than walking one to me.

In truth what they cost they will likely never pay for themselves over renting a golf cart or taxis etc. and they arenít expensive bikes, about $1,000 for both, add $150 or so for good bags. Thatís two bikes of course.

Best bike if money is no object would be a custom bike Friday in my opinion, then likely a Brompton.
Dahon is the Chevrolet of bicycles, good quality, but wonít be mistaken for a second for a real quality bike, and there is a real difference, but I have no need for a good bike, Chevy quality is fine for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 17:53   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Rust:. Smear vasoline over anything looking like it'll rust. Works like a charm.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 17:55   #8

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Dahon is the Chevrolet of bicycles, good quality, but wonít be mistaken for a second for a real quality bike, and there is a real difference, but I have no need for a good bike, Chevy quality is fine for me.
Note that Dahon has a wide range in quality with bikes costing up to a couple of grand. I have an MU-7 which was about $750 and good quality bike (20" wheels). Very few bike shops carry more than one or two models of folders, so if wanting a nice bike need to find a specialty shop or order online. I had an older 16" wheel Dahon, but find the 20" wheel size much better riding.
The real cheap folders you see online are almost all junk and not worth buying. I would not get anything less than a Dahon Mariner myself.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 18:41   #9

Boat: 2011 FP Orana 44 M

I think it really depends on what you're going to be doing. We thought we'd use our bikes more than we have. We rarely visit marinas so getting bikes to shore becomes a major ordeal. They've mostly stayed stowed.

We're now considering electric scooters like the ones you see for rent around big cities.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 18:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We are on our second set of folding bikes.
Both have been Dahon, the first set I had for years to carry in an airplane.

Bought new Dahon Mariners in Jacksonville, got a better price than I could find on the Internet.
Learned from the first set, that bikes have to be kept below decks, above deck and you will have corrosion issues that will rather quickly ruin the bike.
I bought two good thick, heavily padded bike bags and keep them below deck. Best use for them is a place where they can be left ashore and safely locked to something strong. Carrying back and forth daily in the dinghy quickly gets old.
However they are a PIA, take up a lot of room to store, difficult to get into and out of the dinghy etc.
Best like bicycles, if you are not a bicyclist, youíll likely not use one, my Wife isnít, she had rather walk. My knees are shot and biking 10 miles is much easier than walking one to me.

In truth what they cost they will likely never pay for themselves over renting a golf cart or taxis etc. and they arenít expensive bikes, about $1,000 for both, add $150 or so for good bags. Thatís two bikes of course.

Best bike if money is no object would be a custom bike Friday in my opinion, then likely a Brompton.

I have no idea what brand my folding bicycle really is. It was originally sold by Traveler Brewing https://offerup.com/item/detail/633666655/ Here is a photo of one identical to it.... I tried to insert the photo but it doesn't look like it took.... so I've inserted a link to a photo. Virtually brand new, it probably hadn't been ridden more than around the block, I couldn't pass it up for $200.... bags on Amazon range from around $20.. to about $75 ...It's so new that the fold hinge is very stiff. The Shimano stuff including cotterless crank arms convinced me that it was decent quality....... whoever made it. The ability to carry it on a bus, train, airplane, taxi, makes it an asset in my opinion. I'm a walker myself, and at age 4, I walk 2 miles minimum a day in the woods on my own trail, and can still do a 20 mile day without much strain, but a bicycle gives one about a 10x range if there is a place to ride safely. My intention is to live aboard / voyage globally, and even if it is not suitable in some circumstances, there should be many where it is. A mountain bike might be more versatile, but any full size bike is going to be a pain in a dinghy. 33"/26"/13" is the approximate size bag that would fit it.... that would be too bad in a dinghy....

H.W.

............. Just edited, and think I managed to upload an image this time... I suspect that it's a Dahon....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folding bike.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	191237  
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 18:55   #11

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I have a pair of stainless folding 16" Dahons. Not sure if they will earn their space aboard. Had an old steel folder. Too bulky to go below on my 28 footer at the time so I had to keep it on deck where it was in the way and fouled lines. Useful for US East Coast cruising, but rusted badly in salt. Wound up abandoning it at some harbor in Maine. Had a 12" folder for a bit- liked the compactness but it was like riding a itty bitty clown bicycle.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote