Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 09:42   #46

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Re: Best temporary heating?

We might be overthinking this one. She is talking So Fla so it isn't really cold :-) My though it to go old school and get an Aladdin Lamp. They throw off an amazing amount of heat for their size. They take the chill off. You can get an old style brass one that will work as as hanging trawler lamp or on the table as a heater. The mantle system makes it burn very clean and no scent, quietly with a nice romantic light.

I'm building up an old boat right now and looking at putting in some old kerosene lamps and my wife objected because of the kerosene "smell". Then I reminded her we cruised with nothing more than an old Aladdin for five years and she loved the old lamp.

We had ours wired to the hanging bracket so we could take it from it's hook and set on the table when moored. We never ran it when sleeping because it isn't vented. You will want to be careful with kids so they respect it.

They tend to be a tad expensive but if you get an alloy one with a "shelf" base and add their tilting hanging bracket with smoke bell you can get in for less than $200 or find an nice pre loved one on an online auction.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 00:32   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
We might be overthinking this one. She is talking So Fla so it isn't really cold :-) My though it to go old school and get an Aladdin Lamp. They throw off an amazing amount of heat for their size. They take the chill off. You can get an old style brass one that will work as as hanging trawler lamp or on the table as a heater. The mantle system makes it burn very clean and no scent, quietly with a nice romantic light.

I'm building up an old boat right now and looking at putting in some old kerosene lamps and my wife objected because of the kerosene "smell". Then I reminded her we cruised with nothing more than an old Aladdin for five years and she loved the old lamp.

We had ours wired to the hanging bracket so we could take it from it's hook and set on the table when moored. We never ran it when sleeping because it isn't vented. You will want to be careful with kids so they respect it.

They tend to be a tad expensive but if you get an alloy one with a "shelf" base and add their tilting hanging bracket with smoke bell you can get in for less than $200 or find an nice pre loved one on an online auction.
I cruised SW Florida for years, and it can get pretty cold. Our boat had reverse cycle AC and so on really cold nights we would go into a marina, hook up to shore power, and run that. As I write this, it's 9C/49F in Naples which is, well not cold, but pretty chilly.

The OP has small children, including a newborn, so I think heat is mission critical, even in S. Florida. I would install a proper heater, if I were he. I don't know his wife, but if she's like most mothers of young children, then if that sailboat starts to look like a threat to the kids' health, good bye sailboat. He's lucky she wants to sail with him, and my advice to him would be to make her comfort, and the kids' health, an absolutely top priority. Keep them warm and cosy.

I would not burn a kerosene lamp below with hatches closed, even just me, much less with small children.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 21:46   #48

Hi Dockhead,

Excellent point, I forgot to mention the need for outside air. Thank you for catching that.

We have used kerosene heaters without a thought, but that was in drafty conditions like in log cabins and such. Boats are completely different. Boats are so airtight and it doesn't take too much to use up available oxygen get incomplete combustion and then carbon monoxide gas is emitted. This is very serious.

So, on a boat if you have an open flame, you need to look at where the combustion gases go and how you will get fresh air. Even for something as small as a kerosene lamp. On our old boat we have the old Aladdin trawler lamp under a butterfly hatch so we crack that to let the exhaust gases out. Fresh air comes in from vents in the bow and stern.

We spent a winter crossing central Fl close to thirty years ago. The citrus crop was lost do to cold. We were fine with an old Aladdin lamp taking the chill off in the main cabin. This lamp was alway turned off if unattended and when we went to bed. My suggestion is simply for something temporary until they are able to get a permanent solutiion. That planar heater looks like a brilliant solution but way to technical for me.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:23   #49

Pianopraze,

I've used a Zodi "tent" heater for quite a few years now. It is critical you don't have an open flame in a tent so a candle or lamp is a bad idea. The Zodi heater unit sits outside and an inline blower moves the heated air through the 3" duct hose inside. The burner uses propane but because the unit is outside it doesn't need to be vented so all you get is dry warm air. Great idea, But .... I don't recommend it, pretty crude and Zodi I understand is reworking it because they can melt down.

I've got an alternative, I can't believe the price and I don't know anything about it. This may be what you are looking for. I'm curious too.

https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Diesel...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The concept is that the unit sits outside and the vents blow warm air inside. Yes, there is a ad picture of it sitting inside but that is just crazy unless it has some vent system. They make it sound like it doesn't come from China which means it comes from China so again, buyer beware.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:00   #50

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
I have small battery bank. When I plugged the smallest electric heat I could find at walmart my system started caterwauling and turned off: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-El...-08S/504414275

I do have a generator but they say no use of Generators after 10pm at our dock. So looking for non electric, or only uses trickle of electric for like thermostat, solution.

Edit to add, I don't have diesel on board. Prout Snowgoose with a single Installed gas Suzuki engine in the rear center.

There are 110-160W 12v heaters which would work short term.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:59   #51

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
Pianopraze,

I've used a Zodi "tent" heater for quite a few years now. It is critical you don't have an open flame in a tent so a candle or lamp is a bad idea. The Zodi heater unit sits outside and an inline blower moves the heated air through the 3" duct hose inside. The burner uses propane but because the unit is outside it doesn't need to be vented so all you get is dry warm air. Great idea, But .... I don't recommend it, pretty crude and Zodi I understand is reworking it because they can melt down.

I've got an alternative, I can't believe the price and I don't know anything about it. This may be what you are looking for. I'm curious too.

https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Diesel...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The concept is that the unit sits outside and the vents blow warm air inside. Yes, there is a ad picture of it sitting inside but that is just crazy unless it has some vent system. They make it sound like it doesn't come from China which means it comes from China so again, buyer beware.
There are lots of Chinese companies selling units like this, i have one and used it in the spring in Minnesota to heat my Gemini cat while working on it. These are just the same components as you would install in a boat except they have mounted it in a cabinet. It is not something you can just sit on the deck as there is not enough clearance for the very hot exhaust. They do work well though as they are an almost direct knock off of an Espar or Webasto.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating