Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 15:38   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Best Single Liveaboard Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Actually, no you won't, if you use the correct amount. Chlorine will oxidize (burn) any organic molecule, and will be converted to the harmless chloride ion (think sodium chloride) in the process. So not only will it kill algae, protozoa and bacteria, it will eliminate the organic molecules they feed on. As far as taste, the chlorine will decay with time as it is used up, and if you use an activated charcoal filter, any taste will be filtered out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
gotta use a helluvalot, as chlorine is not gonna kill bad stuff--try drinking the chlorinated tapwater in mexico--as an example....LOL.. have fun. may you not HAVE to rely on chlorinated water to be without growing thingies, as it will not be.

Actually my doctor told me that we get sick in Mexico (or even Canada) and that Mexicans (or Canadians) may get sick here -- that all water systems have microbes in them but that we can fight off the ones our bodies are familiar with. Go to another country -- even another first world country -- and we can get sick because they have different microbes than we do. I went to Canada while pregnant and my doctor advised me to drink bottled water for that reason. That was the first time I had ever done that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 16:06   #92

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Actually my doctor told me that we get sick in Mexico (or even Canada) and that Mexicans (or Canadians) may get sick here -- that all water systems have microbes in them but that we can fight off the ones our bodies are familiar with. Go to another country -- even another first world country -- and we can get sick because they have different microbes than we do. I went to Canada while pregnant and my doctor advised me to drink bottled water for that reason. That was the first time I had ever done that.
And to add to that... The way to develop an immunity is to take the bad stuff a little bit at a time. 100% purification is not the answer (unless you're pregnant or otherwise unhealthy!, but then it's still only a temporary solution).
Old 05-10-2011, 16:14   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pregnant should be able to do what anyone else can and eat same and drink same. jeex. mommas bod filters out most of the bs before baby gets it. some stuff is needed for immunities. trendy anything is not smart.

i SAW where the water comes from here in mexico-- and i SAW the way in which human waste is treated--NOT--here---lol.. e choli is not good for ye,. monty's protoazoa is not good for ye. even MEXICANS do not drink their own water except from bottles.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:27   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
I am also thinking about getting myself a Wonder Wash to safe even more money http://www.laundry-alternative.com/wonderwash.htm
But that uses storage room and water.
I have one and think if they were better made, they would be awesome! I used it in a small apartment. The problem is they are made of cheap plastic, and the seal is made of a fairly hard material and it does not seal very well. The spout for draining is useless, and I just used it in the bath tub and tilted it over. The frame is very flimsy and works its self loose almost every use. It is also very awkward to store. I think if you can find a good 3 gallon bucket with a twist on lid with a good seal, you will have a better or just as good set up. A lot of people use a bucket and a plunger, and you can use the bucket to clean the rest of the boat. They do work, it is just that they are not a "wonder" really. I like mine, but would have a hard time recommending it.

Laundry-alternative sells a spin dryer and if you have the space and electricity it is really good. A sweater will dry in a few hours after being spun for a few min. Really works wonders, I have the smaller one, and it is fine for a single person's laundry. It is kind of like the centrifuge in the bigger laundry mats.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39   #95
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pregnant should be able to do what anyone else can and eat same and drink same. jeex. mommas bod filters out most of the bs before baby gets it. some stuff is needed for immunities. trendy anything is not smart.

i SAW where the water comes from here in mexico-- and i SAW the way in which human waste is treated--NOT--here---lol.. e choli is not good for ye,. monty's protoazoa is not good for ye. even MEXICANS do not drink their own water except from bottles.
Just another reason for a catchment system........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59   #96

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

This will work in Mexico and anywhere else you need drinking water.

SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Water Purifier - Free Shipping at REI.com

You still need particulate and taste filters, but this kills the bugs.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27   #97

Does anyone do laundry in a bucket? Hand washing? I thought the reason for a stayed mast was to hang laundry.

Great thread, some good insight to the life style.

What about the social aspects of LBing, if Don 1500 doesn't mind me asking.....

My observations, many RV parks do not allow school bus conversions in a park, whatever the excuse given, they are sbubbed as being poor gypsy types. I would think pulling in to some marinas with a 1956 something among the Sea Rays, Carvers and Fountains might evoke similar social stigmas....

Are liveabords really viewed as the affluent homeless? How do the authorities react when you tell them you and not a landlubber type?

How do you address such issues or do you ignore it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a social butterfly type and could care less in most cases, but sometimes you just can't get the bartenders attention.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08   #98

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I don't mind you asking, but I am still 60 days and a boat search away from the experience. Any tip I have placed on these boards has come from either someone elses experience or my experience in a different field. I am an engineer, I design and build aircraft interiors. This has a lot in common with boat interiors, except mine would likly disintegrate in a boat due to the materials used.

As far as the social aspects, I have only what I experienced as a youth (up to about 19) on Long Island. That experience is why I am going back to the boat. I know it won't be the same for others, but to me it will always be that way.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:40   #99

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Go live out of a car for a few months. After that, a sailboat will be more than enough room.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52   #100

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd

Keep the water out of the boat, keep the people in the boat, get where you are going.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:25   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As Bash said first, keep your boat ready to leave the dock at whim in a short period of time. Keep your ability to daysail. For us, this as always been achieved best with no dockboxes or shore storage of any kind. Everything we own is on board and we keep no ties to a location.
Old 06-10-2011, 16:32   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Santana 22

Get a storage space
SailBerkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:08   #103

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minga View Post
Living onboard?
Step on shore, get a caravan. Cost of the boat ? Around 35 to 40k. You are not going enywhere, just parking at the marina. Cost of mooring in marine 3500 to 6000 a year. Only weekly cost in caravan park (and you can move out ant time). Laundry, shower, power - same as in caravan park. If you pay 35k minimum for a boat than this is around 120 dollars per week just for a petrol for around 5 years !
Camper van - you can move around a lot (if you wish) see places, park anywhere ( no marina costs).
I hope that I stir a nest here
Practicly no fuel cost as well. It is definitly not the case with a caravan

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:10   #104

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
What is the best single livaboard tip you can pass on to others?
Show a lot of leg!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:40   #105
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
My observations, many RV parks do not allow school bus conversions in a park, whatever the excuse given, they are sbubbed as being poor gypsy types. I would think pulling in to some marinas with a 1956 something among the Sea Rays, Carvers and Fountains might evoke similar social stigmas....
A marina is not an RV park.

On my current dock, a Carver would be down at the bottom of the food chain. Go north a mile or so and the Carvers are near the top.

Explore the Sausalito waterfront, and you'll find that in some places a 50' slip runs $800 per month, and that in other places the same size slip will only run $300. Likewise, on some docks the average boat cost well over $1,000,000, while on other docks the nicest boat would sell for well under $100,000. While there are certainly exceptions to this rule, the same type of social stratification exists on the water as on land.

Tags
liveaboard