Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 18:48   #46

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Best Single Livaboard Tip

pelican cases.

assuming you're planning to actually go places and not just live at the dock... which is also a nice life, but imho if you live in a home that is mobile but you never go anywhere, you might as well be in a trailer park. once you go to sea, stuff is going to get a lot more real, and money spent on good, quality protection for your important stuff is far better than insurance.

we went with a Pelican 1550EMS case for our first-aid kit, 1090's for the laptops, and a 1437 case for important documents and laptop backups.

1550EMS Pelican Case with EMS Organizer/Dividers - Orange from Pelican-Case.com
Pelican 1090 Hardback Laptop Computer Case from Pelican-Case.com
Pelican 1437 Top Loader Case with Office Padded Divider - Yellow from Pelican-Case.com

incidentally, we just did our first offshore voyage - as a last-minute bit, just before leaving I purchased a pair of LaCie rugged USB drives, 1TB each, and backed up both my and my girlfriend's laptops, then put the backups in the Pelican case. neither laptop survived the trip; my hard drive crashed, and hers caught a splash of seawater and won't turn on anymore. total cost of backup drives: $250. total value of years and years of photos, music, and *especially* work: unthinkable.
Old 04-10-2011, 19:12   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is hard to believe that in 4 pages no one has mentioned the manual toilet. there is a toggle or some such for allowing water into toilet, and switch it over to prevent water from coming into toilet. do not leave the switch in wet mode. more impoortant, do not leave the switch in wet mode then leave the boat.
first and biggest tip for living aboard is DO NOT SINK YOUR BOAT.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 19:20   #48

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The first sign that you're no longer a sailor is when you've got potted plants aboard.
Not necessarily true We've sailed with small potted plants for galley use since we left port 3 years (and many miles) ago. Adds a nice touch to meals when you're far away from anything resembling greens in a market.

Those that continue to survive: chives (great on eggs, potatoes & the like) and recao/culantro (hearty and perfect with fish, tacos or salsa).

Tougher to grow long term: Basil, chilli peppers & mint (all grew okay but were eventually taken over by pests).

Just an aside... cheers
Old 04-10-2011, 19:37   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
I am the woman with a pension who wants to go as soon as possible and I have to convince Hubby to go now. It is a good time to buy the boat and my pension is quite enough to make things work IMO. He does want to go but he is nervous

Our daughter will be moving into an appartment in a few months for her studies. As soon as she is out, the cable is out and the stove will probably go with her. The fridge would too but it is too high.

Reduce before moving onto the boat, that is the best advice!!

P.S. When I was young, my parents would bring us camping every summer and we had the best of times with just the essential.
We rented an RV for two weeks (for two adults and two children) -- four forks, knives, spoons, just a few pots, etc., and lived wonderfully. We didn't have a lot of clothes so we washed what we had.

It gave me a jump start on the idea of scaling back to live on the boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:35   #50

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
We rented an RV for two weeks (for two adults and two children) -- four forks, knives, spoons, just a few pots, etc., and lived wonderfully. We didn't have a lot of clothes so we washed what we had.

It gave me a jump start on the idea of scaling back to live on the boat.
When I am going on vacations, I always carry a small amount of cloths and a bottle of laundry detergent with me. Before 9/11, I would only have a carry-on luggage with me. I can't anymore because of my personal care products

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:44   #51
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
When I am going on vacations, I always carry a small amount of cloths and a bottle of laundry detergent with me. Before 9/11, I would only have a carry-on luggage with me. I can't anymore because of my personal care products

Another good reason to sail!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:06   #52

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Re: Best Single Liveaboard Tip

Sever the land connection as soon as you are certain the liveaboard lifestyle is right for you.

While cruising 2000 miles away, a house becomes a liability that not only weighs on your mind but also upon your wallet. It has taken us two years to be sure, but now the downsizing has begun with the goal of being free by Fall 2012 or sooner if possible.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:16   #53

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Keep the boat dry: buy three or for sham-wows.
Drink lots of gin
It's live aboard not work aboard. Keep the projects to a minimum and always clean up before meal time.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:46   #54

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

These are so many good points...I must be able to contribute something after 7 years aboard and 3/4 the way around the world and 38 years training the same captain [who is coming along nicely].

My best point is to laugh a lot even if it's at unplugging the blocked head in the middle of the sea or unclogging gunk filled fuel lines when having to sail into the anchorage unplanned..."living the dream" we say....and we are...every day. Saved for years and by God we are still gonna enjoy every moment.

Well, sometimes...there has to be an occasional cathartic scream or expletive and that's a good suggestion, too!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01   #55

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Keep the boat dry: buy three or for sham-wows.
Drink lots of gin
It's live aboard not work aboard. Keep the projects to a minimum and always clean up before meal time.
What is a sham-wow?
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:46   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Really good fitting canvas... as in a cockpit cover for bad weather and sun. Nothing worse than being stuck in the cabin during 3 day long storms!

Another thing that I liked was to go with as much 120V stuff as I could. My lighting was 120V (admittedly in the days before LED to which I am warming up to), Appliances, Computers, hell, even the coffee maker like AC power. I lived aboard 7 years. 2 of which were off-grid. Between a good battery bank/inverter and running the genny 4 hours in the morning and 4 at night, I was able to keep good clean 120VAC power on tap 24/7
Old 05-10-2011, 03:49   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
What is a sham-wow?
here ya go!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50   #58

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

They are yellow fake chamois cloths, Bill, that are handy for cleaning up. We always have old boat rags to use....but we do have one in the to ditch bag. I like the flat sponge dish rag things I get out here for under rinsed dishes and use under opening wet ports....holds more water than a rag ...like one of shamwows but much cheaper.

When you post a lot do you get lots of ads on your signature? I have read here for years but not posted.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50   #59
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
As cruisers you can mever be sure what you are putting into your tank or indeed what is in your tank. Ours tsted and smelt not very good onsome occasions. I had two teenagers that would only drink bottled water. Ifitted the seagull and they cannot the difference. Saved me a fortune.
Also had a friend in Greece who saw a shop owner filling water bottles fro his tap and re sealing them before selling them on.
I agree they are expensive but peace of mind is worth it.
Someone also fitted it in his fridge to cool the water as well.
Find a cruiser and you will usually find a Seagull for good reason.

No association with the company but I know they work.
Calif., Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Caribbean, P.R., Bahamas, from Jax Florida to the Keys. I know about getting bad water. Just the water in the Jax area was worse than drinking from my pool.

I bought a 15in. charcoal filter from Home Depot for the house, and it was as good as bottled water. I then put a small inline filter on my garden hose to fill the boat. Same result. The water was slower, but the water was sweet.

We started out with a watermaker, but over the years it has died. We have gone to a catchment system now, and get 75% of our water from that. Anything else we put in the tank we taste first, and other people are already living off it without sickness. Anything that doesn't taste sweet we put in the shower tanks only. So I understand getting water while cruising. I am just typing you don't have to spend $600.00 for a filter.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

for life on the hook.
a good rowing dinghy is great for keeping fit around the anchorage.

but a good dinghy and outboard that planes opens up oppertunities to explore further afield.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard