Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2019, 07:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV
Best port of entry in Nassau for sailboat

Hello,

Looking at weather windows and planning to leave late Oct early November from Deltaville for Nassau.
I have always cleared in and out in Georgetown and know the customs there but never Nassau.

This time the plan is to stop there, Nassau, pick up one additional crew who is flying in and clear into the Bahamas, then head to Andros island.

Are there any preferred ports of entry for sailboats? I was trying to get something on the westend if possible.

Thanks!
Old 22-10-2019, 07:31   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Best port of entry in Nassau for sailboat

From noonsite: "Clearance procedures can take place at Prince George Wharf (cruise ship terminal), any marina in Nassau Harbour, Atlantis and Hurricane Hole marinas on Paradise Island, Lyford Cay at the west end of New Providence." I'll let others tell you the "best" but you can clear in at the west end.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:31   #3

I am not at all sure what you mean by "preferred" port of entry for sailboats.

We have usually cleared in at the first POE we come to, so we can get our legal status cleared up and then legally stop at what ever island we want after that. Never really found any difference between them. We have twice been stopped by the RBDF while sailing in Bahamian waters. Having all our permits in line made them pretty straight uneventful. If you are in the middle of the islands, without a cruising permit you might have a longer "conversation" with them even if you are technically legal and haven't stopped anywhere yet.

We generally try to avoid Georgetown, the anchorage is crowded, full of drama queens, it's noisy, and has little to recommend it over the more remote islands--but that is just us.

Of all the places to visit in the Bahamas, Nassau and Georgetown compete to be the very last place we'd pick!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:46   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You can clear in at any marina in Nassau. I like Nassau Harbour Club. The marina should have all the forms (there are many) and Customs and Immigration will come to the boat.
Old 22-10-2019, 08:52   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You can clear in at any marina in Nassau. I like Nassau Harbour Club. The marina should have all the forms (there are many) and Customs and Immigration will come to the boat.

Vasco--

How does the Nassau Harbor Club compare with the Hurricane Hole Marina if you've seen it/been there. We like the reportedly greater security there but that may be something of a myth, yes?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:59   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Thanks all. Noonsite says only the captain leaves the boat, but we have in the past all just rode in on a dinghy and went to the office in Georgetown. Does anyone have recent intel? We are bypassing Grand Bahama and Abacos secondary to the Dorian destruction. The last crew flying into Nassau and one crew leaving from there is what made our decision to stop.
I agree, early on I was enamored with Georgetown, after last season it's not even a planned stop. Too bad, I did like the communal atmosphere, ease of reprovisioning, and easy anchorages but last season a 2 week stop there was unpleasant. Maybe I'm getting too old, 52, but there was way too much drink, huge motor yachts, and bad behavior. Nassau is just a necessary evil POE. The less time the better, hopefully just 3 days, then over to Andros to fish, dive, hike and enjoy. If anyone has good advice on anchorages in Andros I'm all ears. Thanks again.
Old 22-10-2019, 17:28   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Vasco--

How does the Nassau Harbor Club compare with the Hurricane Hole Marina if you've seen it/been there. We like the reportedly greater security there but that may be something of a myth, yes?
Security really depend on what precautions you take such as locking up at night.. Harbour Club has a security guy on all night but incidents have happened there as in most other marinas in Nassau. Hurricane Hole is a bit pricey for me so I've never been in there. The marinas on Paradise Island cater to mostly large motor yachts. I continue to check in at Nassau, security is on my mind but we like Nassau and still wander around during the day.
Old 22-10-2019, 18:01   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We are not big fans of downtown Nassau. We have cleared in on our way over from Miami in Bimini, Great Harbour Cay, and Morgan's Bluff. When we needed Nassau, we have twice stayed at Palm Cay Marina on the southeast corner of New Providence; once to repair a leaking fuel tank and once to have the transmission repaired. Although we never have cleared in there, you can check in there. https://palmcay.com/customs-and-immigration/

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 18:33   #9
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Palm Cay is a very accommodating marina and very secure. We have cleared in at Palm Cay and the Customs / Immigration agents showed up within a reasonable time. no drama.
While you are waiting for customs the marina has a nice restaurant, beach and pool. Easy access to grocerys using the marinas courtesy car.
Airport is a straight forward taxi ride.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 06:39   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Which route are you taking into Nassau. Why not clear in the Berry’s or Bimini depending on how you come in.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 08:12   #11
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Last year checked in in Georgetown. Found them to be rude. indifferent, and bureaucratic. This was my fifth time to clear customs and immigration into the Bahamas and was shocked at the lazy inefficient process. In other years the staff at Bimini, Nassau (Palm Cay), Spanish Wells, and Marsh Harbour couldn't have been better.
A long time Georgetown local told us this was an all new crew rotated from the northern islands. Their theory was that the out islands like Exuma lacked political clout and had to take what they were sent which apparently were low performers from northern Bahamas who did have clout and wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior.Apparently yhey can't fire them but the can move them.
Reportedly many were now clearing in at Long Island to avoid the hassle and then proceeding to Georgetown.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 08:58   #12

We always went to Nassau Harbor Club and cleared in from there. Raise them on the radio and they will give you instructions, a lot of current ripping through there at the wrong timing! Anchoring in Nassau harbor is terrible anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 09:56   #13

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
Hello,

Looking at weather windows and planning to leave late Oct early November from Deltaville for Nassau.
I have always cleared in and out in Georgetown and know the customs there but never Nassau.

This time the plan is to stop there, Nassau, pick up one additional crew who is flying in and clear into the Bahamas, then head to Andros island.

Are there any preferred ports of entry for sailboats? I was trying to get something on the westend if possible.

Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean about a "preferred ports of entry for sailboats".
If you ABSOLUTELY must clear into Nassau, I have been to Nassau Harbour Club and it's ok. The plus with this marina is the good shopping plaza right across the street. My preference is to clear in anywhere but Nassau.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, nassau, sail, sailboat